Mounting Iomega ATAPI/IDE Zip Drive in Ubuntu

Urmas

I'm writing this on behalf of a Florida gentleman of discerning posture who is having trouble with the SNF/ATL Customs&Immigration; he hasn't received his validation email yet. :hysterical: V.T. Eric Layton (aka vtel57 aka the grumpy gramps at The Cabin In The Woods) saw The Light... went ape penguin; He installed Ubuntu despite the fact that I was recommending it. He's done wonders - the Gyro Gearloose that he is - but there are two issues:1.

I've been pulling my hair out trying to get my ZIP 100 to work with 6.06. I've searched this (Ubuntu) forum thoroughly and performed all of the tutorials and steps posted regarding ZIP drives, even though some of the advice was for much older versions of Ubuntu. Using THIS tutorial by pseudonym, I was able to mount and access the drive with the one-time mod he talks about in that post. However, his advice on setting up Ubuntu to create the mount point each time at boot-up is not working.
By the way, about 1 out of every 2 times that I boot up, Ubuntu will get stuck at "Loading Hardware Drivers". I have to hard kill the system and then reboot. Usually, it works fine the second time....Ooops... I was incorrect. It slows down on loading the hardware drivers most times, but that's not where it's getting stuck. It's getting stuck on the second item on the load list... loading kernel.
:whistling: I decided to post these here... I'm sure the usual suspects will pull rabbits out of the hat while we wait for Eric's arrival. Oh... the fact that I know Eric... please don't hold it against him. :whistling: Edited by Urmas

However, his advice on setting up Ubuntu to create the mount point each time at boot-up is not working.
Here we can find a workaround . . . . . should be no problem, but I need Eric to give a few commands and tell me what they return.
It's getting stuck on the second item on the load list... loading kernel.
Well, that is pretty odd . . . . not sure what we should do about this. Anyway, need more info ;):) BrunoPS: 'Cause of recent attacks to the forum we need to validate each new member individually . . . sorry about that.Anyway as you can read above, LilBambi has made a circular movement with her magic wand :hysterical: so I expect the guy to show up any time.

V.T. Eric Layton

Howdy folks!Well, I got my green card... er, I mean I got validated. Thanks, Mod! :)Anywho, before I realized that friend Urmas here had posted this for me, I posted my own thread about this HERE. Moderators, please feel free to merge my thread into this one so that others seeking knowledge about this topic will have an easier time finding it.Anyway...So Professor Bruno, I'm your new pupil here at All Things Linux. It's a steep learning curve. I feel like I did the first time I sat in front of my Commodore 64 back in the day. ;)To the problems...OK, first and foremost on my "to-do" list is to get this Zip 100 to work at boot up.Secondary is this minor boot up problem. It doesn't seem to be consistent in its symptoms. It's about a 1 out of every 2 boots problem. Lately, everything seems to load properly, but then I'm left with a blinking _ at the top left of the black screen, almost as if the Gnome GUI didn't load. The blinking _ allows me to type, but does nothing. This requires hard kill and reboot. Usually, it boots all the way to my Gnome GUI on this second try. Like I said... minor problem. It's probably just some buggy hardware configuration causing it.I'll be awaiting your replies and guidance regarding the Zip situation, Professor. Thanks in advance for your assistance. I'm no dummy when it comes to computers, but I am definitely ignorant of the ways of GNU/Linux. I'm learning, though. I've come to the light. I'm no longer part of the MS Windows collective. I've been de-Borg'd. ;)Later...~Eric

LOL . . . sorry I somehow missed this post . . . .and read here some of the info I was looking for in the other thread . . . . anyway let's close this one and use the other one for problem solving. ;):) Bruno