Link of the Week Inbox

Scot

Please post the URL to a cool website or Internet destination you think others should know about it. It has to have some sort of computer orientation, or, at least, be of very main stream interest. Take a sec. to tell me why you like it too.Post your name if you're not too shy! If I use your link, I'll give you credit in the newsletter.Thanks for your help! :rolleyes: -- Scot

Edited by scot

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeber

• ibe98765

• jbredmound

• SonicDragon

Guest Paracelsus

Scot,Can't recall if you ever mentioned this one in SFNL. (If so, please delete this post). I came across a really good (to an unrepentant Dilettante Novice, such as moi) Website for everything concerning WinXP. It's the site of one of MS-MVP's... Kelly.Kelly's KornerFrank F. Moore (aka - Paracelsus; aka - Tio Franco*; aka - LabRat*)*Other Forums (What can I tell you... I'm Multiple Personality) :) OK!!!... Which one you said that!! :)

Many of you are probably aware of this site but I'll post the link anyway, as it has been of great utility to me... BlackViper.com. BV has guides to installing Win XP, Win 2000, Red Hat, and multi-boot configuration. Also, and most useful to me is the Win XP/2000 services configuration pages.

You two guys have excellent taste in websites. Both Kelly's and Blackviper are past Links of the Week. :D One of the things I've been meaning to do is to create a page on the SFNL website that lists all the Links of the Week so that it's easier to keep track of this. I mean this page to be the Scot's Newsletter "favorite links" page.One of the many other "commercial" things that websites do that I don't do is swap links for the heck of it to get traffic. If I place a favorite link on the SFNL site, it's because I think it's cool.So far, though, i've been falling down on the job on the website. The newsletter has been picking Links of the Week for two years, though. And Broadband Report and Windows Insider did the same before that. So I've got a LOT of 'em. :) -- ScotP.S. Paracelsus, did not delete your post only because I think it has value here. It's an excellent suggestion. Kelly's Korner is a very good site. Hope you don't mind.

Scot, I don't know how many Canadian subscribers you have as this link I am suggesting is tightly related to Canadian ISPs but it is probably the only Canadian comparison site.http://www.canadianisp.com/Led by Bob Carrick has nice and easy interface to compare different ISP's in your area (only in Canada) and you can see peoples reviews.There is also nice forum where you can ask and post any questions and/or answers related to pretty much anything.I am "Mad Zox" over there as I was not happy with my ISP at the time I found this site and forum. I just wish I found it before I signed up with them, sigh B)

* The only ISP Finder to allow consumers a one stop shop to FIND an ISP, RATE an ISP, Review an ISP, LIST ISPs, and COMPARE any Internet Service Provider and their services anywhere in Canada, including Dial-up, ISDN, DSL, Cable, Satellite, Point to Point and Wireless (everything other then dial-up can be considered broadband / high speed).      Select your province above to find your new ISP!      Over 140 ISPs now listed serving over 1300 cities across Canada!    * You can expand your Search to type of service (Dial-up, ISDN, DSL, Cable, Satellite, Point to Point and Wireless), price per month and Business or Residential. You will then be presented with a comparison list of the ISPs, their prices, monthly caps and other options that match your search. Find the one you like, click on their name to see their detailed listing and get all the information on them, including a view of their ratings.

When you get tired of all that reading, learning and downloading, go toPutt Putt GolfGood for what ails ya. B)
Very cool. :) I shot a 1 over par with a hole-in-one on the 9th hole on my first try. C'mon Tiger, hundred bucks a stroke, you and me. :)

Wouldn't this topic do better in the Windows section? Just a thought.Anyway, here's something a little different. Turns your properly spelled sentence into one written in "web-ish". If it supported copy/paste, I'd start a thread all spelled this way. But I'm not thirteen anymore (I spelled that so they wouldn't know we were talking about them) so I'm not up on all the latest linguistic fads. [ Short amount of fun, 3-4 times and you'll want to move on ].Click MeP.S. If you like this kind of stuff, subscribe to Mike's List, I do. This last one was stolen right out from under his nose. It's a fun newsletter. Almost as good as Scot's.It seems some Gnomies got copy/paste to work, so maybe it's just me. And after reading some more sentences, I realize what a disaster it would be to have a thread using this spelling.

Turns your properly spelled sentence into one written in "web-ish".  If it supported copy/paste, I'd start a thread all spelled this way.  But I'm not thirteen anymore (I spelled that so they wouldn't know we were talking about them) so I'm not up on all the latest linguistic fads. [ Short amount of fun, 3-4 times and you'll want to move on ].Click Me
Hey Jeber Thanks. Now I know what I can use to translate my student's web pages and "horrors" term papers into English B) I have almost gone numb to reading shortcuts they have learned on instant messaging. :D They can't figure out how I can type a full sentence as fast as they can spelling the words out. I know, ;) it just means I am so old I took typing instead of keyboarding.When you are ready for really mindless fun, try this one:Legato or even more so: Airplane contests.Now for the grammar police and those that want to test their vocabulary: A few fairy tales. Guess you can al tell now that I keep a folder in my shortcuts labeled "goofy"! :D :D :D ;)

Wouldn't this topic do better in the Windows section?  Just a thought.Anyway, here's something a little different.  Turns your properly spelled sentence into one written in "web-ish".  If it supported copy/paste, I'd start a thread all spelled this way.  But I'm not thirteen anymore (I spelled that so they wouldn't know we were talking about them) so I'm not up on all the latest linguistic fads. [ Short amount of fun, 3-4 times and you'll want to move on ]
WUDNT THIS 2PIC DO BTAR IN DA WINDOWS SECTION?????!?!? JUST A THOUGHTANYWAY!1!1!1 OMG HERES SOMATHNG A LITLE DIFER3NT!1!! TURNS UR PROPERLY SPELED SANTENCE IN2 ON3 WRITEN IN WAB-ISH1!11!1! LOL IF IT SUPORTAD COPY/PASTA ID START A THREAD AL SPELAD THIS WAY1!11!!1 BUT IMM NOT THIRTEN ANYMORE (I SPELED TAHT SO THEY WUDNT KNOW WE WARE TOKNG ABOUT TH3M) SO IMM NOT UP ON AL TEH LAETST LNGUISTIC FADS!1!!1!1 OMG WTF [ SHORT MOUNT OF FUN 3-4 TIEMS AND U WANT 2 MOV3 ONhad to see what it would do :) so I copied your text into it ;)

Hi teacher,You need to edit the URL in your "A few fairy tales" link. It has an extra "http://" in it.  B)
Thanks. I wonder where my mind went this time of day. It is a fun site though.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I am also "attention span challenged". and like short games (and a lot of them), I have been a long-time fan of miniclip.com. Always something new, along with the old, and some of it is very humorous. :blink:

Here's a really great website that contains most everything you'll ever need to know about computers and where to find it.Dubber'sThe site belongs to a fellow poster at another forum. Submited by Ladypcer

I recommendSpooFeeIt's a great site with some incredible deals on various products. This site lists "Deals of the Day" on products such as phones, RAM, routers, and various other items from major retailers. It's definitely worth checking out!

Photo Essay All I can say about this site is that this is taking a hobby to the extreme.*May not be dial-up friendly  B)
I think someone has spent too much time playing with Photoshop's cut and paste type capabilities. <_< ;)

I sent Scot an email about this before I found out that this thread existed, so I'll do it again here for everyone.This Technische Universiteit Eindhoven (TU/e) site provides a free tree-map file browser (file manager?) called "SequoiaView". I think you all will find this very useful, and definitely cool.http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/The current version is relatively new and they push the new display of "squarified Cushion Treemap", (default) but I like the old "Cushion Treemap" for now (see options, Treemap Type).

Quint,

I was sure that the ElderGeek site was a past Link of the Week. So many SFNL Forums folks have mentioned the site recently that I decided to go back and prove that point. The Link of the Week idea goes back to 1999, so it's a big deal to track stuff down. In fact, I'm working on a project to put all the past Link of the Week sites on one page on the newsletter's website. And I also need a button that says "Scot's Newsletter Link of the Week!" that I can pass out to winners.But I digress. Anyway, I can't find the ElderGeek site anywhere. I could have sworn it was already a Link of the Week. So, thanks to you and others, I can rectify that omission -- in the next issue of the newsletter.By the way, many other great sites here. I like all the humorous and off-beat sites too. Please keep posting any that occur to you. I'm definitely looking here!Thanks for your help.-- Scot