Ethereal Interface?

Guest ThunderRiver

Guest ThunderRiver

Well, in SuSe 8.2 Pro, I installed Ethereal, and when I wanted to start capturing packets, it turned out that there is no interface available in the drop down box. I read some documentations. It mentioend about using ifconfing -a to show the deviceI know that command a long ago, and it just shows eth0 as the device.The documentation also mentions about MAC address, and you put the device name along with the MAC address in the interface field, but it doesn't give me any examples of what it looks like.Anyone of you have experience with Ethereal? I have quite some experience with the Windows port, but haven't really tried out the Linux one because it only has empty interface while the machine is indeed connected to the internet.Peachy any ideas?

Hmm,having the same problem, too. Although, if you type ethereal -i eth0 it binds that interface. When I do that and then try to capture I get an error message about not having permission to run a Socket: operation.Methinks it is a rights issue that has to be resolved. I will have to read up on it. Make sure you have libpcap installed as well as GTk+.