Tor for Linux

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Tampa to Berlin Direct1478127581.pngTampa to Berlin Tor1478129791.pngDefinitely some speed degradation. However, since I'm bouncing all over servers around the world to get from Tampa to Berlin, I guess that's to be expected. For just surfing, it's really not that noticeable; for downloading or streaming it might be, though.

They're coming for you, Barbara... er, I mean Josh. ;)
MUAHAHAHA!
So Tor can protect me from zombies?I always figured it was for secret stuff like warez, pron and terrorism plans. :ph34r: ;)

securitybreach

Well I now have Tor installed on Arch and I can launch it with the following command whenever I want to use it:

╔═ comhack@Cerberus 12:44 AM ╚═══ ~-> google-chrome --proxy-server="socks://localhost:9050"

It is slow as crap but look, now I am in the Netherlands:ea2e1f149227254.jpg

Oh, and for anyone interested...Tor On Slackware (and Arch)
I'll just toss out that it's very easy to implement Tor with the Slax distro -- just visit their modules page and get one of the Tork modules -- already has everything gathered and tested together. Once working, it's easy then to remaster it to a new iso that will transport Tor wherever you want to take it [on cd or usbstick]. I also recommend the Torbutton extension for Firefox. I had troubles with it here regarding the pc's timezone settings -- I think following KDE 3.5's weirdness about timezone setting -- works here if I choose UTC for that setting. Also nice to locate a site like www.showmyip.com to prove to yourself that you really are cloaked. Works easily here on Slack-like stuff, and on XP, but I have yet to get it working on any Debian.

V.T. Eric Layton

@ burninbush... yeah, SLAX modules are COOL! :) Oh, and the reason I didn't use the torbutton was just because I was trying to stay consistent. There is no torbutton extension for Seamonkey. However, Foxy Proxy works in both SM and FF. :) If you're not worried about Seamonkey, torbutton is the way to go in FF.@ Striker... well, needless to say, it's NOT cold and raining where I am... and won't be for another 4 months or so. :thumbsup:

tor? just remember, all ip traffic resolves to a mac address, that globally unique serial number identifying you and yours. google arp, for example.the only way to surf anonomously is to buy a laptop with cash, don't register it, don't log onto any of your accounts with it, use it far away from home, and disable it before bringing it and you back to the house.
Good points, but isn't it fairly easy to use a fake mac address? I assume a person who was out to make trouble would know that. google "spoof your MAC address"

securitybreach
Good points, but isn't it fairly easy to use a fake mac address? I assume a person who was out to make trouble would know that. google "spoof your MAC address"
Yes , it is very easy :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...
Woo-hoo! Got Tor working in Slackware (Firefox and Seamonkey) just now. :)

I'll install it and set it up in Arch later this evening. Yippee! :w00t:

Ho ho ho, I am running slackware64 current 2.6.38.7 w firefox 8.

Please share how you installed TOR on Slackware? I am stuck. So far addgroup & usr, install the libevent ver 2.0.10 slackbuild. Am stuck on whether or not to download & install tsocks an optional dependency for Torify Shell Script, since I read there is DNS Leak Bug associate with tsocks. Did you intall &/or use tsocks?

Also I don't know what I am suppose to be checking regarding Readme.Slackware warning as follows:

"As of tor-0.2.1.30-2 and later, I've updated Tor rc.tor init script to get rid

of hardcoded values present inside torctl command script. To successfully use

the newer script be sure to check changes to both /etc/rc.d/rc.tor.new and

/etc/tor/torrc.new as some configurations values are now required and no

longer passed on the command line." Any help is appreciated. Happy Holidays to All. Thank you

Edited by Nightsky

securitybreach
Ho ho ho, I am running slackware64 current 2.6.38.7 w firefox 8.

Please share how you installed TOR on Slackware? I am stuck. So far addgroup & usr, install the libevent ver 2.0.10 slackbuild. Am stuck on whether or not to download & install tsocks an optional dependency for Torify Shell Script, since I read there is DNS Leak Bug associate with tsocks.

What is the Torify Shell Script? What is it for? What does it do? Did you intall &/or use tsocks?

Also I don't know what I am suppose to be checking regarding Readme.Slackware warns:

As of tor-0.2.1.30-2 and later, I've updated Tor rc.tor init script to get rid

of hardcoded values present inside torctl command script. To successfully use

the newer script be sure to check changes to both /etc/rc.d/rc.tor.new and

/etc/tor/torrc.new as some configurations values are now required and no

longer passed on the command line. Any help is appreciated. Happy Holidays to All. Thank you

He provided the link on post #15 above:

Oh, and for anyone interested...

Tor On Slackware (and Arch)

He provided the link on post #15 above:

Have those two links bookmarked already. Question is whether to use tsocks or not because of DNS leaking bug. Since tsocks is an optional dependency for Slackware if I opt not to install it do I have to change slackbuild script.

2nd Question how to handle the changes to rc.tor init script, /etc/rc.d/rc.tor.new, & /etc/tor/torrc.new referred to in the Readme.Slackware.

V.T. Eric Layton

Hi Nightsky! :)

There are ways to work around the DNS leakage issue:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wi...ks.ShouldIworry

As for the tor init script, what changes do you mean? I've never had a need to edit my torrc since initially installing the app.

DISCLAIMER: I'm NO networking or tor guru by any stretch of the imagination. :(

securitybreach
Have those two links bookmarked already. Question is whether to use tsocks or not because of DNS leaking bug. Since tsocks is an optional dependency for Slackware if I opt not to install it do I have to change slackbuild script.

2nd Question how to handle the changes to rc.tor init script, /etc/rc.d/rc.tor.new, & /etc/tor/torrc.new referred to in the Readme.Slackware.

Sorry I did not realize what you were asking before you added the details, hence the answer I gave. I am not that familiar with Slackbuilds as I have not use Slackware in a while but we do have some "Slackers" around here that should be able to help you out. :thumbsup: