kool de

saturnian

securitybreach

Yeah, KDE has had an interesting history. I still prefer the 3.x days but that is probably just me as my workflow has become more minimal as times goes.

Neat stuff, thanks for the share :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

I still prefer the 3.x days but that is probably just me...

No. Not just you. I gave up on KDE after 3.5. It was just too much after that. I like simple desktops. That's why I'm using ol' skool Xfce these days. :)

• Like 2

I used to use KDE back in the day and it certainly has a lot of things to click. But now, it's way too busy for me. I like simple.

• Like 3

I guess I'm the oddball, because I seem to get along fine with any of a number of different types of setups. I happen to be logged into a KDE Plasma session at the moment, but on another day it might be GNOME Shell, Openbox, Fluxbox, Xfce, or LXDE (KDE was my favorite back when I was new to Linux). Lol, I don't eat the same foods each day, either, or even listen to the same kind of music all the time. There are always pros and cons; I simply like to enjoy what's out there, and for the most part I have no problem with doing so.

I've got KDE Plasma 5.12.7 in Kubuntu 18.04. Most of the stuff under "Desktop Effects" is turned off. I don't use Activities at all. I do like the Desktop Cube Animation for when I switch to other virtual desktops, though. It's kind of a simple setup for me, not really all that much different from my Xfce setups, when it comes down to it. I think KDE PLasma does look a little nicer than Xfce, but that isn't such a big deal to me. There are some configuration options in Xfce that I like better than what I find in KDE; the reverse is true as well.

Anyway, none of this has anything to do with why I posted the link. I just thought it was interesting reading, seeing what some folks were saying back in 1996, something like 8 or 9 years before I got started with Linux.

• Like 1

I started out with Ubuntu so I guess I'll always be a GNOMEie at heart. That said, I hated GNOME 3 and quickly switched to Cinnamon as my go-to desktop if I had the hardware for it. Otherwise I used Xfce and for older machines it works great. I don't mind using the CLI for updates but I am not really a keyboard guy.

I have come back to GNOME with Debian but I have to add in some shell extensions to get it right for me.

KDE never seemed a good fit, especially KDE 3.5 (death by menu.) I have tried Plasma 5 and it is surprisingly nice, but It never "sticks" for me. Mageia has a particularly nice implementation of Plasma 5.

If I had to choose just one DE it would be Xfce. MX-Linux does that as well as anybody. Xfce also is fine for Arch Linux on an old netbook.

V.T. Eric Layton

@Ray... Yes, my original Linux was Ubuntu w/ Gnome. I miss Gnome a bit. Sadly, Gnome went the way of KDE a few versions back. This is why I love Xfce so much... it's very similar to Gnome 2.x from back then. I also got away from Gnome because it's somewhat complicated to get it installed in Slackware.

I'm happy with my Xfce. All's well.

I started with KDE because it was SuSE's default desktop, although you could choose Gnome or something else if desired. When my hardware got older and my needs simpler, I opted for xfce. I'm still happy with it.

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah, the first time I saw KDE was when I install Slackware the first time. I used it till 3.5, but no more...

miUE8qY.png

• Like 1