Install adventure

longgone

:hysterical: :whistling: ;) .... Hmmmmm.......Just finished d/ling both MD2007 Spring and PCLOS 2007 posting from PCLOS 2007 in live CD mode ... so far this looks good ..... not a problem at all ... HD install will tell the tale though .... 2 down 2 more to go .... B) :hysterical:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Bruno

• striker

• ross549

Enjoy Dale ! I have both installed and intend to install Mandy Spring on the new puter - probably coming weeks or so. Spring is way faster than ever before, esp. during boot up.I hope they'll work OK on your system. Keep us posted Dale ! B)

:hysterical: :thumbsup: ....................... Well.......... PCLOS2007 is on the HD ... does it work ,,, partially .... it boots, all the way to the GUI ... but only 3 icons are shown ... it will dial to the web but won't stay connected ... tells me that "kppp" was not in this kernel .... (????) ... did "mcedit /etc/lilo.conf (in Slackware lilo) and changed the kernel from the one that was in pclos92 to new one .... my best guess is that I need to make more changes in lilo before I can move on .... time for assistance .... I knew I would hit a pot hole .........

.... my best guess is that I need to make more changes in lilo before I can move on ....
Yep, indeed you need to make more changes then only changing the kernel version. . . Please tell me, during the install of PCLos, where did you install the bootloader ?B) Bruno

Okay boot Slackware and add these 2 lines to the /etc/lilo.conf:

other=/dev/hda7label="PCLos"
Next save the file and run "/sbin/lilo" and show us the output.B) Bruno

root@darkstar:/home/dale# /sbin/liloAdded Slackware *Added DebianAdded Mandriva2007Added PCLOS93ABDAdded Xandros40Added PCLosr

That """ r """ was the next line in the consol ... I thought I removed it but obviously not ..... anyway/anyhow .... We have a successful lift off and complete burn of the main booster rockets ..... it boots, it connects to the web (using it right now) ...... some adjustments to be made but it looks good to go ...... AND I like it .....

Good, excellent . . . now you can remove the entry that did not work so well for PCLos so that you don't get confused ;)B) Bruno

Did that when I entered the entry you gave me ... PCLos2007 replaced PCLos92 .... the 93ABD is still got a use for awhile ,, not much longer and it will be gone too ...... (that partition is slated for the future home of Vector SOHO) ...... next task ... install MD2007 spring ..... later on of course....

:thumbsup: :o B) ......
Up to a problemless install Dale !
I can only dream of that ...... someday ..... maybe when I do my ultimate goal install ....... :P :o :thumbsup:

UPDATE !!!!... :o :o PCLinuxOS 2007 d/l complete, installed, updates complete as of Friday the 16th ... so far so good,,,,,MD2007.1 (sprung) d/l complete, ....CRASH(simulated brick wall),, won't install ,, seems as if whatever is there to get it to install to the HD is not doing it .... boots right up to the LILO and right on into whatever OS I select ..... ;) ;) B) ... definite problem ........ have tried 3 different burning programs and 5 disks ... (darn that wall) ...Vector 5.8 SOHO d/l complete .... starts to install then crashes (another wall,, this one is concrete though(ouchh)) ..... I get all the way to the step where it starts to install the OS and it croaks ... selected (just for the heck of it) the option to check the file systems for the kernel and open office (I think those were the options) during the kernel file system check received ""KERNEL PANIC"" and it aborted at that point .......... so questions are ..... can I salvage MD2007.1 or is it a bust ..... is the Vector SOHO a bust also (with the kernel panic error it probably is) .......and that is the end of the update to date ....Oh BTW ..... "Happy Fathers Day to all the Fathers" .....

Happy Fathers Day to you too Dale ;) Now as far as Vector I think a kernel panic is hard to debug around . . . . but for Mandriva we could maybe:At the very first screen press F3 ( or was it F2 ? ) and enter at the prompt: "linux ide=nodma" and see if that gets you to the installer.BTW: did you do the checksums on your downloads ?;) Bruno

;) B) ......................Actually ..................... no, I did not check the md5 ....... (getting lazy in my advancing years) ... ;) ....... but I shall check the 2/3 ...... keys and see what occurs ....

Actually ..................... no, I did not check the md5 .......
If you are downloading large files on dial-up you have to . . . . else you will end up with a backyard full of coasters ;);) Bruno

targets ... for pellet gun practice .... ;) ;) ......F2 or F3 no response ...... what it does give me at the prompt when I type in "linux ide=nodma" is I need to use 'TAB" for more help .... which does not help ..... FWIW all three of these were d/l in Debian using KGET ..... (seems like I can only get KGET to work in Debian, no luck in either Slack or PCLOS2007) ...... items for later ...

Edited by longgone

Maybe Dale . . if Kget does not work okay . . . try "wget" on the commandline ( as user, NOT as "su" ):

$ wget url_of_the_file

;) Bruno

Okay .. I'll give it a try .... the error I get in both pclos and slack when I try to use kget doing the drag and drop is this (crash, busted bottle) ... malformed URL ...... makes no difference if it is in online or offline mode ...... ...

;) ;) After some serious thinking ..... I came to the conclusion that I am not going to waste the time to d/l the distros ....... the are currently on order ... shipping either Monday or Tuesday .... much more reliable ..... (I hope)...

;) B) :thumbsup: ................ The adventure continues ....... received today copies of MD2007.1, Vector 5.8 SOHO, Centos 5.0, and FC7 ............... and not one will install completely on this machine ... (will try one second machine later) every one hangs up at some point ..... MD2007.1 hangs up at the bootloader install section, FC7 hangs up about 95% done, Vector way early and Centos same way ..... this is the adventure from - - - - ..... any tips on maybe salvaging MD2007.1 for the moment...

Maybe it is time to check the memory of that computer . . . . ( there is a memcheck on most install CDs ) Or maybe the CD-ROM drive . . . . If all these distros fail maybe it is hardware related.;) Bruno

I've considered the hardware angle .... but it just did pclos2007 last week .... I will have a better view of it after I try them on my other machine ..... it's getting close to the time to build a new machine anyway ..... oh the endless possibilities ...

;) B) :thumbsup: .......................Wellllllllllll ..... a small bit of success ... MD2007.1 installed ... all the way ... only two glitches .... my USB mouse won't work and I can't connect to the web .... tried "kppp" as / from the cl but it tells me no such cmd/pkg .... I'm guessing that means that it is not there y/n ...

Good question ....... I do not know for sure ..... I know I configured it but it does not connect nor even dial ... ..