A first look at the new GIMP 2.0

havnblast

The GNU Image Manipulation Program, a.k.a. the GIMP, is a freely available and versatile graphic editor comparable to Adobe Photoshop and Jasc Paintshop Pro. This powerful program can refine photographs, generate animated images, and create graphics suitable for the Web and print. The highly anticipated version 2.0 of the GIMP, due out next month, will run under Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux, and preview versions are now available for all three platforms. In this article we'll examine some of the key differences between the stable GIMP 1.2 and the upcoming version 2.0 of the software.
Full Article with ScreenshotsLookin Good :D

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• Bruno

• SonicDragon

• quint

Using the Gimp "2.0 pre" in Slack Current . . . Love it ! . . .Very stable and not buggy like the beta's I tried last year . . Can't wait to upgrade the one in Mandrake, just hope the packagers put their skates on ( because the 10RC1 still has the old Gimp ):D Bruno

Probably worth buying - $31.50 at amazon.com - free shipping with super saver shipping The book would probably help me break away from Photoshop - still having a hard time getting away from something I am so use to. I can do things twice as fast in PS, maybe the book will help.

KellyIf you want to get better, you just have to use it every time. As long as you keep going back to PS you won't get better in Gimp. <speaking from experience>Julia :D

Using the Gimp "2.0 pre" in Slack Current . . . Love it !
Ditto! I've been trying to use it whenever i have any graphics work. Now i rarely have to boot into windows for anything like that :)Downloading "Grokking The Gimp" now. Thanks bruno :)

I've got a quick question :) Is there a tool in gimp that allows you to select a color, and replace only that color with another color? I know that doesn't make much sence...In Jasc PSP, there is a color replace tool that lets you select your foreground and background color and when you paint over the background color, it turns it to the foreground color and leaves all the other colors untouched. I read the index of "Grokking the Gimp" and couldn't find anything, but then again, i have no idea what this feature is really called :)

Hi SonicRight click on the picture and from the menu Select --> By Color . . . works better then magic wand because you can play with it, has more options and it does the whole picture . . ( well, hard to explain ) anyway here is a better explanation: http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/node38.html#SEC...000000000000000 ( The By Color function 3.3.11 . . . the subject does not link directly :whistling: ):D Bruno

Link to Download Just click on the "Download an html tarball of this book" link and then you can untar it and burn it to a CD! The price is right. The book is only $31 as well but the CD you burn is free to download.Julia :whistling:

Oh, you want to download it? It is on virtually every distro. When you install your software, just select it as one of the options and you will be in business. It is pretty standard. I believe you are getting ready to install Suse? It is on the CDs.First go to your menu now and then up to multimedia - over to graphics and look to see if you already have it. The 2.0 seems to only be in Slack right now.Julia :whistling:

You are pretty up to date then. Don't worry about anything newer right now. It jumped up to 2.0 and so far only Slack has it added to their downloads. Just be patient. ;)Julia

Right click on the picture and from the menu Select --> By Color . . . works better then magic wand because you can play with it, has more options and it does the whole picture . . ( well, hard to explain ) anyway here is a better explanation:http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/node38.html#SEC...000000000000000 ( The By Color function 3.3.11 . . . the subject does not link directly )
Oohh! I see! Thanks :'(

Do you mean this file?gimp-2.0pre3.tar.gzIf so, it is source code and must be compiled. There is probably a README or INSTALL file inside the package. You would probably be better off just waiting until someone packages the Gimp 2.0 for your chosen distro, or at least waiting until you choose a distro to use if you must have the Gimp 2.0 as soon as possible.hthtranquilo

Oh Boy hthA Scorpio is NOT the Patient kind and the distros right Now are Xandros, with a possibility of Suse 9.0 and a little later a 2.6 kernel distroThanx :'( for the infolooked at a couple of documents BUT nothing as yet HOW to install it in Xandros 2.0Colin :lol:

Have you tried:unpacking the .tar.gz (easiest way is to right click and extract or whatever it's called)then in a terminal: cd /home/you/gimp (or whatever folder it created)./configuremakesumake installThat's sort of the default way of doing it.... good luck!

Hmmmmmmmm Sonic Dragon :'( Extracted to a gimp Folder /home/kamicota/My Documents/gimpAnd in console got this kamicota@freedom4u:~$ /home/kamicota/My Documents/gimpbash: /home/kamicota/My: No such file or directorykamicota@freedom4u:~$Colin :lol:

Hmmmmmm Quint Thanx kamicota@freedom4u:~$ /home/kamicota/MyDocuments/gimpbash: /home/kamicota/MyDocuments/gimp: No such file or directorykamicota@freedom4u:~$ /home/kamicota/My_Documents/gimpbash: /home/kamicota/My_Documents/gimp: No such file or directorykamicota@freedom4u:~$ :'( Same resultGuess I AM a little wearyColin :lol:

Hmmmmmm Quint Thanx kamicota@freedom4u:~$ /home/kamicota/MyDocuments/gimpbash: /home/kamicota/MyDocuments/gimp: No such file or directorykamicota@freedom4u:~$ /home/kamicota/My_Documents/gimpbash: /home/kamicota/My_Documents/gimp: No such file or directorykamicota@freedom4u:~$ :lol:  Same resultGuess I AM a little wearyColin  :blink:
Colin,You must first make the directory: "MyDocuments" or "My_Documents", and put the results of extracting "gimp" into it...sorry, I neglected to mention that. :'(

OK, then do this: < $ cd /home/kamicota/MyDocuments/gimp >That should put you in the "gimp" folder...then follow what Sonic said:$ ./configure$ make$ supassword# make install :'(

OOPS :'( STILL the same resultkamicota@freedom4u:~$ /home/kamicota/MyDocuments/gimpbash: /home/kamicota/MyDocuments/gimp: No such file or directorykamicota@freedom4u:~$ /home/kamicota/My_Documents/gimpbash: /home/kamicota/My_Documents/gimp: No such file or directorykamicota@freedom4u:~$ cd /home/kamicota/MyDocuments/gimpbash: cd: /home/kamicota/MyDocuments/gimp: No such file or directorykamicota@freedom4u:~$Colin

Colin,That should have worked...by any chance, was the folder that contains all the files, called "gimp-2.0" or something similar? If so, that must be part of: (for example)< $ cd /home/kamicota/MyDocuments/gimp-2.0 >