57 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   pc-tecky

pc-tecky

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 02:57 PM

Oh boy, the noise. I totally forgot about that. You either get used to it or go insane listening to it. But if you're tired enough you'll sleep through anything. I can see it now, the computer will have specified hours of operation - anytime the roommate is not in, which would be hardly ever :D.  A time frame not nearly long enough for all the necessary work to be done, and not to mention last minute freeezes and crashes.Then again, you can get sound absorbing material to help reduce the noise, just be sure to get lots of it or build a noise reducing computer desk.But that begs the question of what's better for a system of that caliber, constantly up and running or on as needed?

#52 OFFLINE   SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 03:27 PM

SCSI I think has lagged behind the gamer IDE/ATA/SATA HDD market.
What's the difference between the different types of hard drives. Do some of those run better or are faster or? What's the advantage/disadvantage to a SCSI drive?

#53 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 04:32 PM

A couple of things.  The hard drives were suppose to be SATA.  After I asked between the two involved I discovered the motherboard is not set up for SCSI.  That's good because I think the SATA is what we really wanted anyway.I also questioned the type of memory.  I thought it was suppose to be dual memory (can't remember the fancy name right now) so I am waiting to hear back on that.  I also made sure they put in a CD-RW and not a CD-ROM drive.As for roommates and noise, that is not a problem.  I don't think my daughter knows how to turn off a computer but she is in a suite this year where she will have a private room with a shared kitchen/living room/dining area.  That should take care of her computer and her early bird hours.  If she is in the middle of a major project it is usually always on.  Otherwise, if it bugs her enough she will turn it off.  Besides what are pillow for if not to bury your head so you can't see or hear what is going on around you??  :wacko:Do you think I should hide it when it comes in and tell her she has to take her old one back to school and get by with the labs to do her work? I guess I am not that mean....Julia
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#54 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 04:44 PM

That WOULD be funny...... :P
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#55 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:25 AM

Man, Julia, I was browsing Alienware's new web site and realised this is what you should have ordered: http://www.alienware...ode=SKU-DEFAULT :blink:  :P

'freedom...is actually the reason that men live together in political organisations at all. Without it, political life as such would be meaningless. The raison d'Être of politics is freedom, and its field of experience is action'.
My Flickr Photo Blog Posted Image
del.icio.us bookmarks Posted Image

#56 OFFLINE   pc-tecky

pc-tecky

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 05:11 AM

Well... To answer the hard drive question of what makes them different.There are several items that effect how a drive will function and perform:1. The spindle or platter speed (faster typically leads to better throughput)2. The type of read/write head used (areal data density, i.e., MB or GB per sq. in.)3. The means by which the read/write heads transverse the data surface4. The size of the platters (wider takes longer to transverse, but also can potentially store more data; i.e., 5.25" vs. 2.5")5. The standard for the data connection  to the system (i.e., SCSI, IDE/(P)ATA, SATA, MFM, RLL, etc.)6. The bus that's used (8bit, 16bit, 32bit, etc.)There are three main types of drives, or drive connections, in use today ranked in throughput from lowest to highest are: IDE/(P)ATA, SATA, and SCSIIDE/(P)ATA (or simply IDE) has the lowest rank simply because in theory it's maximum peak data transfer rate is 133MB/s for U133 (U as in "Ultra DMA") on a good day with ideal conditions. The IDE U133 is the end of the line (afaik) as the shift has been made to SATA. IDE is a parrellel architechure.SATA currently has a tranfer rate of 150MB/s. It is a relatively new technology with plenty of room to grow in throughput. SATA is a serial architechure.SCSI has a number of formats with the fastest transfer rate being 320MB/s (other rates as I recall are 10MB/s, 20MB/s, 40MB/s, 80MB/s, and 160MB/s. SCSI is a parallel architechure.Most common spindle speeds (in RPM) today are  4200, 4900, 5400, and 7200 for laptops drives and 5400, 7200, 10000/10k, 15000/15k and higher for larger format drives. 7200 is about standard (and max) for most IDE. 7200 and 10000/10k (and possibly higher) are used with SATA. Modern SCSI drives typically start at 7200 and go up from there.You know, I was going to give a big old speal, but instead I found this hdd linky which I'm sure is more complete and accurate than I ever could be.SCSI drives are all around faster at getting to data. A SCSI drive might have a 5.4ms seek time while an IDE drive might have a 8.9 ms seek time. Hands down, SCSI will get to the data first any day of the week.

#57 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 05:21 AM

Hmm.  The order now has two 200 GB SATA drives. That was updated yesterday.PeachyThat looks like a sweet computer.  When I configured it as close to what I have ordered it was only $5111.  Then again, they limited the RAM to 3GB and we are going with 4GB.  The sweet spot for the SATA drives seemed to be the 200.  We looked at the 250 GB drives but the jump in price there was not worth the extra 100 GB total.  I ordered the XP Pro with it but then they relesaed the XP Pro 64 bit in the trial program and I have downloaded that.  I plan to dual boot the computer betwen the two since I don't know if the Maya wil work with the 64 yet.  I bet it does and that it will be sweet.   All the reports indicate that I have picked the right hardware at this point.  The guys putting it together for me are very busy drooling over it.  I can't justify a computer like this for me but I can dream.  :thumbsup: Julia :lol:
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#58 OFFLINE   SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:19 AM

pc-tecky:  thanks for the info :lol: i am must more clear on it now :) Teacher: Sounds awesome. I can't wait until it gets to you! I want to hear all about it :thumbsup:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users