Word 2010 hangs on save when default printer unavailable and document

jeffw_00

Sorry - Title was entered as "Word 2010 hangs on save when default printer unavailable and document has pictures"

subtitle was " thought you'd like to know, and I'd like to fix" (Moderator - feel free to update the title)

========================

Hi - So recently I've had an annoying problem where Word 2010 would hang on any save or auto-save, but only when my laptop was home, not at work. I searched the web, nothing I could find helped. After some mucking, I noticed it happened only on documents to which I had pasted a visio drawing, and in fact I couldn't paste visio into word when home. Based on something i read on the web, I changed the default printer (it was our office networked printer, unavailable at home).

That fixed it. - and come to think of it we did upgrade our office printer a short while ago, so I had installed new Dell printer drivers.... (1135n)

But now it's annoying because i have something silly (Microsoft XPS writer or some such) as my default printer.

I get that Word wants to check something against the printer properties before saving the doc, for some reason, but does anyone know what's going on here and how to fix (and does it happen to you?)

Thanks very much!

/j

Edited by jeffw_00