#27 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:29 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 12 September 2019 - 03:45 PM, said:

> If the new install of the OS was the problem, it seems to me the issue would have surfaced immediately after the install.

I'm assuming that after the fresh install, MS sent some updates down the pike that screwed things up.

> Ping request could not find host 1.1.1.1...

What are you trying to ping with that? If you want your system to ping your router to check your network connection, you need to:

ping 192.168.1.1 

https://www.dummies....network-router/

Were you trying to ping your free DNS service?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1.1.1.1
Ping whatever freakin' external address you want.

View Postmarcos9999, on 12 September 2019 - 03:02 PM, said:

it said:

Ping request could not find host 1.1.1.1..Please check the name and try again.
what about the nslookups?
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#28 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,788 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:05 AM

> Ping whatever freakin' external address you want.

Are you being harsh with me for some reason. There was a definite reason why I was suggesting that the OP ping the router. I want to see if there is at least connectivity to that point. If there isn't, then all else is a waste of time.

Also, pinging 1.1.1.1 isn't a normal troubleshooting step to check connectivity in my experience. That's why I questioned the OP's methods here.

Anyway, luck with this marcos9999!

I'm off this thread.

#29 OFFLINE   Digerati

Digerati

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:52 AM

There was a definite reason why I was suggesting that the OP ping the router. I want to see if there is at least connectivity to that point. If there isn't, then all else is a waste of time.
Exactly. This is why I asked earlier if the OP can log into his router's admin menu. Because at this point we don't even know if he has LAN access.

Also, pinging 1.1.1.1 isn't a normal troubleshooting step to check connectivity in my experience
Not sure why not. That is a valid IP address so it would be the same as pinging 172.217.5.4 (IPv4 Google), www.yahoo.com, forums.scotsnewsletter.com or any other Internet address. If you get a response, you know you are getting out of the computer through the router, through the modem and hitting the distant end. That is a normal troubleshooting step. So really any external address is valid to try.

However, if the ping fails you don't learn where so using tracert would be more informative. This will tell you if it fails locally or at an external hop. I recommend adding the -4 switch to make it more understandable. For example, at the command prompt, enter:

tracert -4 1.1.1.1

That said, with no answer from the OP to either question about accessing the admin menu or pinging the router (not all use 192.168.1.1 BTW) we are in a "hurry up and wait" status.
Posted Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Posted Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

#30 OFFLINE   marcos9999

marcos9999

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:27 PM

Problem solved. Bought a ethernet card on Amazon for 20 bucks, popped in and bang. Not only my internet speed increased but I din't see any more glitches. It coughed once but i think it was something else.

Thank you all

#31 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,788 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:01 PM

EXCELLENT! All turns out good. :clap:

#32 OFFLINE   Digerati

Digerati

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:10 PM

Glad that resolved it and thanks for posting your followup.
Posted Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Posted Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

#33 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,788 posts

Posted Today, 05:42 PM

This is VERY interesting. Read this:

Windows 10 1903 is Now Having Problems with Network Adapters

Microsoft has acknowledged another problem in Windows 10 version 1903 where user's are reporting that their network adapters suddenly stop working after installing a cumulative update.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users