Upgrade from Win 7 Pro SP1 to Win 10?

Teffy

Microsoft is constantly showing me messages to upgrade to Windows 10. I am currently running Windows 7 Pro SP1. I have been reluctant to go to Win 10 because I read that it has alot of problems. Should I cave in or stay the course?

Thank you!

I think it really depends on what you want and how you use your device(s). You'll get basic security updates from MS for win 7 until 2020, and hopefully you've got some anti-virus/malware programs in place to help keep you safe. Can you do everything you need and want to do with win 7? Are you an uncomplicated email-facebook-youtube sort of user or do you depend on one or more pieces of third-party software that might stop support for win 7 in the near future? If you're like many people, you'll probably want to buy new hardware before 2020, and you'd wind up with a new OS at that time anyway, so I think it basically comes down to what you'd feel comfortable with for the next two to three years. If win 7 meets your needs, I'd stick with it--I think it's probably MS's best so far. That being said, I really don't use it myself (openSuSE linux for many years), but I do support it for a family member. I'm sure there'll be dedicated windows users stopping by who can give you a more informed opinion.

Edited by ebrke

I've been using Windows 10 Pro for several years (through the fast track program) and aside from some privacy issues that can drive you crazy (those issues are now on Windows 7 and 8 as well) Windows 10 Pro has acted pretty well for me and I think Microsoft has done a really good job here. I think it's free for the asking until July after which it will cost about $100.

Hello,

What you might want to do is make a complete backup of your system (or multiple backups, even) and then try installing Windows 10 on it. If you find out it's not for you just yet, you can restore the computer to Windows 7, but you'll have a Windows 10 upgrade license activated for the machine when you're ready to upgrade.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2

One thing to watch out for if you're going to upgrade is the size of your system partition for Windows. You'll have that if Win 7 was an OEM installation normally. Windows 10 requires at least 250 MB and Windows 7 can get by with 100 MB. If you have a small system partition you might get Windows 10 to install OK but then you'll run into trouble getting later updates to install properly. The best thing is to enlarge your system partition with a program like MiniTool Partition Wizard before proceeding.

I'd recommend the Linux based Minitool Partition Wizard that boots from a CD or USB stick so that you can enlarge the system partition and shrink your data partition without having the O/S present. It's faster and more reliable to do it that way.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/

• Like 2

Forgot to mention that I've upgraded both Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and I am happy with the result. I think an upgrade from Windows 7 is a nice to have and from Windows 8 or 8.1 it's a no-brainer because Windows 10 has a great look and feel compared to 8..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LilBambi

I like Windows 10 (particularly the Pro version), but my Dell Optiplex Windows 7 SP1 has an old 2008 BIOS and upgrading drivers etc is not in the cards for this fast but old Optiplex. I am using GWX Control Panel - Ultimate Outsider to stave it off. Many folks are that just do not want Windows 10.

However, if your computer is fast enough and/or new enough, and you are not adverse to Windows a cross between Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, Windows 10 is a faster combination of the two. Yes, you have to get used to some changes, but unless you have old hardware that you do not want to replace right now, Windows 10 is a good solid OS.

Guest LilBambi

Yeah, but that is a third party addon. I really do not like to use third party addons for system critical type things like shells.

As far as I know Classic Shell is just a program and doesn't take over any critical aspects of Windows. That said, I agree with you that It's wise not to put it on any business machine that is running enterprise critical software.

However, installing it has been worth it to banish the Start Screen for good - and I've saved myself a lot of headaches with seniors trying to learn to use Windows 8.

It's probably less useful with Windows 10 because the Start Button and Start Menu are back now. I still hate those little flashing tiles though so Classic Shell is on my machines that run Windows. I have had no issues with crashes or other strange behavior (aside from Windows itself.)

I also disable and hide the Cortana search box which is a real waste of real estate as far as I am concerned.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

Hello,

You could try WindowsBlinds or StartIsBack instead of Classic Shell. Neither is free, but they do offer evaluations so you can see if they work before you purchase a license.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hello,

WindowsBlinds is a complete skinning tool (can make Windows 10 look like Windows XP, etc.). StartIsBack reportedly enabled the old unused Start Menu code under Windows 8.0, I'm not sure what it's doing under Windows 10.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky