MS security update MS06-015 and HP PCs...

James M. Fisher

James M. Fisher
B) HP users, beware: Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security update MS06-015http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/918165The MS06-015 security update package installs a new binary, VERCLSID.EXE, which validates shell extensions before they are instantiated by the Windows Shell or Windows Explorer. On some computers, VERCLSID.EXE stops responding. There have been reported issues where HP software causes the VERCLSID.EXE process to stop responding. The reg fix is here:http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (line 383, right-hand side)

Guest LilBambi

James! You have my answer before I asked!I just got a call from a client that had just gotten some Windows Updates and updated ZoneAlarm. Those were the only new installations that have been done.His MS Office programs stopped working and Explorer was acting up as well.He shut down his HP Desktop computer with an HP Printer as well, and he asked me to come by to look at it tomorrow!Thanks to you, it sounds like I will have the answer to his problems!B)

Guest LilBambi

OK, this is MUCH worse than originally thought.It was bad enough when many computers on the planet with an HP peripheral, particularly those peripherals where users installed the HP Share-to-Web was likely affected as well as users of Kerio Personal Firewall, but now they are saying for anyone who specifically make use of HP Memories Software and AOL's You've Got Pictures.It was tragic to read about the day an IT person at a school system had on account of this. Something on the order of 200 PCs were affected.Folks at microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser newsgroup are also saying that there are some that are affected that don't have any of that.Some are saying that nVidia software is also affected, as well as AOL software. Some folks have had their entire system restore deleted as well.And apparently users of IE 6 are no longer able to get to webpages using the www.domainname.com, they now have to use the http:// everytime.And a whole slew of other issues related to this, and the Eola Patent 'update' being reported at the microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser newsgroup.Apparently Microsoft has a REG fix for it but you have to call their tollfree number to get it.And the fix that James and others posted from the MS Knowlegebase article is not always effective. (thankfully James changed it to Kelly's VB fix.)Tthankfully KellysKorner has a VB fix here as shown in a posting here:

Hi Jenny,This is caused by a windows update released last tuesday their is anautomatic registry fix for it on line 383 right hand side at this link.http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htmRun the edit even if you do not have the "share to the web" programinstalled.Also if your anti-virus program alerts you of a script trying to run allowit to do so, these scripts are written by Kelly Theriot, a Microsoft MVP anda Godsend to these newsgroups!Or if you wish go to add/remove and uninstall hotfix KB908531 and wait fora new release to come out by Microsoft.-- Mike Pawlak
Kelly to the rescue AGAIN! Go Kelly! :thumbsup:Apparently, it appears to be some order thing on which the patches were installed, as one person said they removed the April patches and put them back in the order that made sure all dependencies were met and they stopped having the problem. That was confirmed by at least one other person on the list, however, I don't know if it was confirmed across the board.Many have just been removing the Critical Windows Update noted in the: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165 article, and leaving themselves vulnerable in the process.Another said they renamed ALL six instances of VERCLSID.EXE on their system and it stopped.In the last few days, apparently Microsoft had not updated or removed the offending patch or reordered them during install, at least I didn't see anything yet on that. This has been an ongoing problem since Patch Tuesday April 11 and that's nearly a week now.I will try Kelly's VB today on the HP computer with HP printer and AOL 9 and hope that does the trick. Otherwise I will have to see if I can uninstall the patches and put them back in the order they were supposed to be installed, and hope that works. If all else fails, I can always uninstall the patch however I am loath to do that because these folks just moved to broadband on AOL's newest Broadband/Verizon two year deal and I'd hate for anything else to go wrong by making their systems more vulnerable to attack.Apparently, in order to do much of this, you have to shutdown the following two files if they are running: hpgs2wnd.exe and hpgs2wnf.exe or you may not be able to get to Add and Remove Programs.The two main problem KBs are apparently: KB908531 and KB912812.James any other word on this from your sources?Thankfully I have an ATI video card, don't use AOL, my printer is an OLD HP DeskJet which apparently doesn't have this type of problem, and I didn't install the HP software for my HP camera so I wasn't personally affected by this.Others have not been so lucky. :thumbsdown:Glad James added the Kelly fix instead of the registry regedit fix to his posting at the top of this topic.EDIT: Changed all to many Edited by LilBambi

Thanks folks, now I see where this sh** is coming from. My Office fonts and a whole bunch of other fonts around the system are screwed whenever I try to edit something,I've got an Geforce FX5200 (nVidia) installed.Furthermore the system is slowed down like a snake climbing a mountain.I'll put back an image to get rid off this 'whatever'. And maybe I'm going to do some more drastically things to get rid of this *** for once and for all. I've had it with those ... . (nevermind, I'm angry.)

I have HP and nVidia everywhere and I'm not seeing any of these issues. This just may be the same people who have issues every time MS rolls out patches.

Edited by Marsden11

I have HP and nVidia everywhere and I'm not seeing any of these issues. This just may be the same people who have issues every time MS rolls out patches.
Right. It's all part of a vast right-wing conspiracy. :)

Not really... but if you wish to adjust your tinfoil cap, who's stopping you...There are always folks who have issues with MS updates. With the zillions of possible system hardware configurations and variuos levels of patching... is it any wonder?It think it is a real issue when EVERY windows machine on the planet chokes and dies.

...It think it is a real issue when EVERY windows machine on the planet chokes and dies.
Yeah. I guess that is what it would take for you to admit M$ had done something wrong.

Guest LilBambi
I'm very happy for you.I saw this in action today on my client's computer. It was a nightmare! Being a small business owner trying to get any business done on a computer working this poorly was a disaster! And it just got worse as he tried worked with more and more programs.The good news is, Kelly's hp.vb worked for him! :thumbsup:His office apps are working again, explorer is working right again, his My Documents Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents can again be opened from within My Documents, AOL issues stopped as well, and his Act! Contact Management software will again print, and he can type in IE's address bar again; context menu working again too.IE is still being a slug on embedded, object or other types of things as a result of the Ebola 'fix' but everyone's having to deal with that one, and it will be fixed in time for all as EVERY web designer has to fix any pages with embedded Flash, Java applets, Media Players......

redmaledeer

I tend to install MS patches, even critical ones, about three weeks after they come out (a week before the next patch tuesday). I suppose this is stupid, immoral, will cause hair to grow on the palms of my hands, and I will eventually suffer the fate of the Cities of the Plain. But so far the early-installing guinea pigs have had more problems than late-installing has caused me.

that's what you get for buying an HP
Excuse me but I have two HP computers (desktop and notebook) and a networked HP printer and have none of those problems. These were the computers that I could afford when I purchased them.I also have a PB, which is regarded as a product to avoid. It's been running since Jan. 1997.

Excuse me but I have two HP computers (desktop and notebook) and a networked HP printer and have none of those problems. These were the computers that I could afford when I purchased them.I also have a PB, which is regarded as a product to avoid. It's been running since Jan. 1997.
You'll notice I had placed "emoticons" proceeding my statement. Emoticons of the style I used generally imply joking or tongue-in-cheekness ;);)

Yeah. I guess that is what it would take for you to admit M$ had done something wrong.
MS screws up all the time.The point is that my machines loaded with Office 2003, most desktops with nVidia video cards, connected to some older HP Inkjets and to newer HP All-in-ones have had no issues with the MS patches from last Tuesday. One difference is I don't use AOhell.LiBambi has a business client with nearly the same stuff and the MS updates supposedly cause a mess with his systems.All things being equal, and if the MS patches were inherently screwed up across the board, everyone who downloaded them last Tuesday or later would have suffered the same fate. But since some have problems and most don't, you really can't say with any certainty that a paticular patch is toast and will screw your system up.Too many mitigating factors... was there a problem in the Registry before the patches were installed? Could it be a certain combination of programs that cause the patch to choke? Could certain programs be in a unpatched state or not fully up to date? I've had HP tech support tell me to look on the Web for a 3rd party hacked printer driver because HP was unable to fix it in house. Perhaps an older windows patch is missing and was never applied.If the patch is totally busted then everyone suffers. But when most don't then you have to look at all possibilities. There are just too many possible hardware -- software combinations to be absolutely certain. That is just the reality of complex systems. Edited by Marsden11

I have white box computers with Intel graphics on the MB. They are all a little different, but all have something HP in them. One out of 4 had the problem. It has a dvd420i writer in it. Also, they are all running HP software for a shared multi-function printer.I had just upgraded Autocad, so I figured it had something to do with that. Then I checked in here and stumbled on the problem that I didn't know I had.THANKS TO THE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE, I AM FIXED (well, my computer is fixed).Thank you, all.

Guest LilBambi

Glad we could help, kevin s. :thumbsup:Marsden11, granted it's not everyone who is having trouble. Like I said, I didn't have any trouble with that patch myself, even though I do have an older HP DeskJet. But no HP Share-To-Web crap is installed with the older HP DeskJet printers like the 710C.There is no 'supposedly' about it! My client DID have major problems that were totally fixed by Kelly's HP.VB fix. This computer had HP's Share-To-Web on it, AOL's YGP (You Got Pictures), and MS Office 2000.The funny thing is, this same client has a Compaq laptop as well, which also has AOL on it and didn't have any such problems. The laptop also had an HP photo printer, but didn't have the HP Share-To-Web crap either. But it did have, as I mentioned AOL w/YGP and MS Office 2000.I am just glad we could help those who were affected by this problem. The symptoms are so strange and seemingly unrelated.

Guest LilBambi

Here's some other thoughts on this "HP" issue and the Ebola patent issue fix that was also part of the April patches.Windows patch trips up on HP tool, firewall

A "critical" Windows patch can cause trouble on computers that run certain Hewlett-Packard photo-sharing software or the Kerio firewall, Microsoft said.
The troubles include being unable to access or save files in special folders like "My Documents" and "My Pictures," and unresponsive Office applications, Microsoft said. Other issues include applications that crash after trying to open a file, no response after typing an address into Internet Explorer's address bar, and no effect after right-clicking on a file and selecting "Send To," Microsoft said.
Microsoft recommends that affected users of the HP products manually change their Windows Registry, a core part of the operating system that stores PC settings. Kerio users should configure the firewall to allow the new Microsoft file to execute without warning, it said.
And this one about the issues with patching ActiveX:Company warns on IE patch
An Internet Explorer update released earlier this week can interfere with some applications, including Google's Toolbar, according to PatchLink, a maker of patch management software.Other applications affected by the Web browser patch include business software from Oracle's Siebel customer relationship management unit and certain Web applications that use specific versions of Java, PatchLink said Friday.
The problems arise because of changes Microsoft made to how the Web browser handles Web programs called ActiveX controls. The modifications are designed to shield Microsoft from liability in a high-profile patent dispute with Eolas Technologies and the University of California.
And one of the comments on this one was interesting too:
Canon Easy-Web-PrintI has rendered Canon Easy-Web-Print inoperable. If the situation is not rectified in a few days I need to figure out how to remove the update.Posted by: fred_ward@... Posted on: 04/17/06
So, there's another section of people who may be affected by this.Some interesting comments as well on both articles.

:hysterical: HP users, beware: Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security update MS06-015http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/918165The MS06-015 security update package installs a new binary, VERCLSID.EXE, which validates shell extensions before they are instantiated by the Windows Shell or Windows Explorer. On some computers, VERCLSID.EXE stops responding. There have been reported issues where HP software causes the VERCLSID.EXE process to stop responding. The reg fix is here:http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (line 383, right-hand side)
How can i download this reg fix from kellys website when i look on line 383 right hand side it is a black box with nothing in it. I have not downloaded microsoft patch yet as i have hp share to web and i am a bit scared after what i have read, and i don't really know that much about editing the registry.

Guest LilBambi

If your browser is having trouble seeing it:

Update MS06-015: Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security update MS06-015More info here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165Direct Download of the fix here: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/hp.vbsor here: on line 383 (right hand side): http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
That was from Kelly's more info page here. Edited by LilBambi

If your browser is having trouble seeing it:That was from Kelly's more info page here.
Thank you for the direct link had tried to download hp fix from kellys page with IE, firefox and opera and all i got was a black empty box have no idea why? thanks again i am feeling a bit better about installing patch tomorrow.

Guest LilBambi

Thanks for that article James ... In addition to the previously noted items, the TechWeb article also notes that iTunes software may be affected. That was likely affected by the active content 'patent' fix ... I think though.Security Fix: Problems With Latest Windows Patches (Brian Krebs blog at WashingtonPost.com)

Some readers shared their experiences in the comments section of the blog post I put up last week on April's batch of Windows patches. A reader from Forrestville, Md., wrote in this morning to say that each time he right-clicks on the Windows desktop, the computer freezes up. Robert Blackmon, an attorney and poker buddy of mine who lives in Arlington, sent an e-mail today reporting that his home computer and at least one of his work PCs no longer allows him to use the drop-down tool to change the Windows Explorer address, and that both were having trouble opening or saving files in Microsoft Office. Blackmon said he had to perform a system restore on his Windows PC at home to get it back to normal again.
I am glad that at least this one was able to use the system restore to fix the problem, because there were others earlier that noted that they lost their system restores in the process of their problems with the 'fix.'The reason I mentioned the Eoloas activeX patch earlier in this topic is because some problems folks may be experiencing may be more related to that patch, or a combination of the two.It may not have been a very good idea for Microsoft to issue both those particular patches at the same time. They doubled many people's problems.

Thanks for that article James ... In addition to the previously noted items, the TechWeb article also notes that iTunes software may be affected. That was likely affected by the active content 'patent' fix ... I think though.Security Fix: Problems With Latest Windows Patches (Brian Krebs blog at WashingtonPost.com)I am glad that at least this one was able to use the system restore to fix the problem, because there were others earlier that noted that they lost their system restores in the process of their problems with the 'fix.'The reason I mentioned the Eoloas activeX patch earlier in this topic is because some problems folks may be experiencing may be more related to that patch, or a combination of the two.It may not have been a very good idea for Microsoft to issue both those particular patches at the same time. They doubled many people's problems.
Installed patch today had no problems with my documents folder or office files but windows explorer hung and could not type into IE address bar so applied kellys hp.vbs file and everything now ok

Guest LilBambi

My old HP DeskJet 710C didn't come with this Share-to-Web software and I would have uninstalled it if it had.However, looking at HP's site, and since HP's Share-to-Web (which apparently was discontinued sometime in 2003 except through their hpphoto.com site), and newer printers don't come with it, I am wondering why HP hasn't updated their Share-to-Web site to suggest that clients uninstall it, especially now that it has caused problems with a Windows Update.I know that many folks have it on their computer because they bought HP printers in 2002?-2003, but have never even looked at it much less used it.http://www.homeandoffice.hp.com/hho/cache/...-0-225-121.html

Thank you James, I have downloaded the patch from Kelly's and hope it will resolve the problems.I have spent hours copying the tracks and examining them minutely to try and solve the problem but without success. SO heres hoping!