How to make boot options visible in WinXP?

ibe98765

How do you access/see options such as safeboot, boot log, etc. in WinXP Pro SP1? I think I used to have these but no more. F8 does not work to bring them up.Boot.ini looks like this:[boot loader]timeout=8default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /sos I tried the /SOS option to see if that would do it but it doesn't help.

If you find that you frequently need to boot to Safe Mode, you can actually add it right to the Boot Menu, so you don't need to hit F8 to get to the hidden menu. Here is how to add it:Right-click My Computer, and choose Properties (or press Windows Key & Break together). On the Advanced tab, click the Settings button, which brings up the Startup and Recovery window. Click the Edit button, which will open the boot.ini file in Notepad. Look under the [Operating Systems] for your default OS. Copy the entire line, and paste it on the line below. Change the description in the quotations to say "Safe Mode" or whatever description you want. Then add the following to the end of the line you just copied:/safeboot:minimal /sos /bootlogIf you want networking support, then change "minimal" to "network" without the quotes. You may want to make a copy of the c:\boot.ini file (which is hidden and read only) before you begin this process
I know on my machine F8 works, not sure why yours isn't, hopefully the above will help you :rolleyes:

If you find that you frequently need to boot to Safe Mode, you can actually add it right to the Boot Menu, so you don't need to hit F8 to get to the hidden menu. Here is how to add it:Right-click My Computer, and choose Properties (or press Windows Key & Break together). On the Advanced tab, click the Settings button, which brings up the Startup and Recovery window. Click the Edit button, which will open the boot.ini file in Notepad. Look under the [Operating Systems] for your default OS. Copy the entire line, and paste it on the line below. Change the description in the quotations to say "Safe Mode" or whatever description you want. Then add the following to the end of the line you just copied:/safeboot:minimal /sos /bootlogIf you want networking support, then change "minimal" to "network" without the quotes. You may want to make a copy of the c:\boot.ini file (which is hidden and read only) before you begin this process
I know on my machine F8 works, not sure why yours isn't, hopefully the above will help you :D
F8 just doesn't work. I tried the F12 tip from the post above but that didn't have any effect either.So I created the extra line in boot.ini. However this takes me into Safemode GUI. What do I have to add to get it into command line mode?

I've done some experimenting. Apparently, the F5 key is the key that will give me the "Windows Advanced Options Menu". I've discovered that I have to hit it repeatedly somewhere between the display line prompt for the SCSI Select Utility and before the Windows GUI starts. Maybe this has something to do with the Award BIOS on this Dell machine? The BIOS is at the latest level.

Guest ThunderRiver

I believe you need to consult with your PC manufacturer for answer. The default key to access the boot menu is F8, and it works for at least 5 machines running Windows Xp in my place. It is also the default key for Windows 2000. Also, you may need to replace your keyboard, and see if the problem is resolved. The perfect timing to hit F8 is right after the BIOS finishes detecting its system hardware and right before Windows Xp logo shows up. Once it goes past Windows Xp logo, there is no chance of getting boot menu to show up until the next time you reboot.

I believe you need to consult with your PC manufacturer for answer. The default key to access the boot menu is F8, and it works for at least 5 machines running Windows Xp in my place.  It is also the default key for Windows 2000. Also, you may need to replace your keyboard, and see if the problem is resolved. The perfect timing to hit F8 is right after the BIOS finishes detecting its system hardware and right before Windows Xp logo shows up. Once it goes past Windows Xp logo, there is no chance of getting boot menu to show up until the next time you reboot.
HA! :lol: Good luck with talking to Dell. Their standard response is they don't support configurations that have been changed from what it was when it was shipped. I would have to, at a minimum, restore Win2k to talk to them. And even if I did get someone tot alk to me, they would either not understand English or be clueless as to what to do.I did a search on Google and see references to F5 allowing booting into safemode in Win95 & Win98. F8 is "supposed" to be the key to use in Win2k/WinXP.I'm using a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard that is fairly recent, so that probably isn't the problem. If F5 doesn't work for other people, then I think it has ot be in the Award BIOS.