Slackware articles through the ages.

abarbarian

http://www.tldp.org/.../slackware.html

SLACKWARE (1997)

:breakfast:

I do not think it is a good idea to include qoutes when posting article links in these threads. If folks are interested in the subjects then they will click the link and read the article. Also I am not a fan of teasers and trailers, where is the mystery in that. Dive and and live the experience.

however this is just too good a piece of history to not show.

:Laie_95:

By January 1994, Slackware had achieved such widespread use that it earned a popular notoriety normally reserved for rock stars and cult leaders. Gossip spread through the Usenet suggesting that the entire Slackware project was the work of witches and devil-worshippers! "Linux, the free OS....except for your SOUL! MOUHAHAHAHA!"

IF YOU FIND A DECENT RELEVANT ARTICLE PLEASE DO POST

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 2

http://www.nielshorn.net/slackware/slack_old.php

Out of nostalgia I installed most of the older versions of Slackware on Virtual Machines. Apart from my "normal" machines I maintain running copies of Slackware 1.01, 1.1.2, 2.0.1, 3.5, 4.0 and 9.1

With your recent gremlin attack Eric I thought this might be of use if you wanted to run Slackware on an old pc you may have in your museum. :thudna5:

• Like 2

I do not think it is a good idea to include qoutes when posting article links in these threads. If folks are interested in the subjects then they will click the link and read the article.

On the contrary, I much prefer to see a couple of lines quoted that give me the idea of the meat of the article. If it interests me, I will follow the link to get the peas and potatoes.

I rarely click on mystery links.

I rarely click on mystery links.

Nothing mysterious about my links posted here ! Oh wait , darn I forgot they were about Slackware an thats pretty mysterious. :228823:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
The Microlinux Enterprise Desktop is a full-blown production desktop based on the latest stable Slackware Linux release, starting with 14.0. It is currently used by various small town halls, public libraries, schools and local radio stations in South France.

http://www.microlinux.fr/mled.php

The Microlinux Enterprise Desktop runs reasonably fast on ten-year-old hardware. A battered first-generation Pentium-IV with 512 MB RAM and a 10 GB hard disk will be sufficient for the job, though users of the KDE edition will prefer to add a little extra memory.

A really nice article. :breakfast:

• 1 month later...
V.T. Eric Layton

Oddly enough, I've recently re-discovered how simple this is to do in Xfce4 compared to KDE4. It's just a setting in the Settings Manager under the Mouse and Touchpad category.

That's a pretty decent blog you linked to there, abarbarian. Who is that Nocturnal Slacker guy and why doesn't he write more articles on that blog?

• Like 1

Who is that Nocturnal Slacker guy and why doesn't he write more articles on that blog?

Answer could be in his name perhaps. Mind you someone told me he was an old space cadet so maybe he spends a lot of time out on Mir.

:whistling:

P.S. Could you include a (2011) in your article link. Ta. :shifty:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An Absolute Linux Review (2007)

Absolute Linux is an absolute winner (2007)

Absolute 14.04 Released (2013)

Interesting to see how a variant develops over time. I did come across one or two articles about the 14.04 release but I did not like their tone so will not post a link or support them. One of the articles was very scathing about the development of the os which to my mind was pretty crass and lacking in empathy for a fellow human. Obviously this reviewer did not even take the time to check out the os's home site. Where the second newest post on the News page states that the developer has been ill for some long time and is only starting to gain better health. Also on the main site for the os it states that this os is developed specifically to run on older hardware so does not have all the bells and whistles of a modern variant, neither of the two articles even gave this a passing mention in their negative reviews.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Linux Distributions: Arch versus Slackware(2014)

Many myths about Arch/Slackware and I should say also Gentoo aren’t true. Both, Arch and Slackware, bring only the best to the operating system experience. BSD elegance and Linux kernel. Great customization, great user experience and unique philosophy. Today quality and simplicity don’t go together. But let’s take a look at some of the main aspects of a GNU/linux Distribution.

Very neat article :clap:

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Best part of the article...

But every challenge need to have a winner an the winner here is the user himself.

No matter what you choose you will win and learn a lot of thing about GNU/linux, much more of what you could learn with an “easier” distribution.

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Why do you think you went wrong?

My biggest regret regarding GNU/Linux was that I didn't start back in 2000 when that friend of mine gave me those nine floppy disks with Mandrake Linux on them. :(

• Like 1

securitybreach

My biggest regret regarding GNU/Linux was that I didn't start back in 2000 when that friend of mine gave me those nine floppy disks with Mandrake Linux on them. :(

Same here except it was RedHat and I still didn't try it out till 2002... B)

• Like 1

How long have you got ? :Laughing:

52 years ! Ah ha yes I am using the same crystal ball. An look a slightly older respectable Eric living in comfort. Guess he must have got that job. Time has been kind to him as he certainly does not look 104.

ESCHERBALLl.gif

:P

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

I don't remember if I ever told this story here (true story, by the way), but...

When I was a little tyke (about 4 years old, I think) a pal named Alex who lived across the street had gotten one of those Magic Kits for Christmas or his birthday or some such. Part of the kit explained how to read palms. He read mine out in my front yard when we were out there playing one afternoon. He said, "You see that line there, Eric? That's your life line. You're going to live to 104."

I'm gonna' hold him to that prediction.

Sadly, ol' Al didn't make it past 48. He died a few years back. :(

• Like 2

I don't remember if I ever told this story here (true story, by the way), but...

When I was a little tyke (about 4 years old, I think) a pal named Alex who lived across the street had gotten one of those Magic Kits for Christmas or his birthday or some such. Part of the kit explained how to read palms. He read mine out in my front yard when we were out there playing one afternoon. He said, "You see that line there, Eric? That's your life line. You're going to live to 104."

I'm gonna' hold him to that prediction.

Sadly, ol' Al didn't make it past 48. He died a few years back. :(

I knew all them folks who call me a psycho were right, I can see into the future. :breakfast:

• Like 1