12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   georgeg4

georgeg4

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 06:25 PM

Hello all .         i have installed RH9 in my computer and am having trouble getting a modem to work . I have found 4 linmodem drivers for it but I have to know the kernel version to choose a driver
Posted Image

MY FORUM  George's Message Board

Ubuntu 11.04 in laptop and 12.04 in desktop , Firefox 14.01

Even scholars use pencils with erasers

#2 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 06:28 PM

Hi GeorgeCould you open a console and type:uname -rYou will see the kernel verion right on your screen !B) Bruno

#3 OFFLINE   georgeg4

georgeg4

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 06:30 PM

OK thank you bruno I will have to shut down then and reboot in RH because the modem isnt set up in it as yet .
Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 06:38 PM

O.K we´ll see you right back George !B) Bruno

#5 OFFLINE   georgeg4

georgeg4

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 09:26 PM

Ok I downloaded the driver in rpm format and installed it (successfully it looked like) but when I went to activate it I got the error messageFailed to activate pppo with error 6 And I have no idea what error 6 is
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 04:35 AM

Hi GeorgeGood man, got a modem, found the driver and installed it ! Bravo, we´re nearly there . . . . . . error 6, I´ll have to look into that, but the first thing I came across is a kind of simple solution, don´t know if it will work though : Turn off ¨PnP aware OS¨ in the BIOS ! And try to reconfigure your ppp again.In general: You are very short on the info you give ! I have a few questions for you: What are you using to set up your dial-in ? What program do you use for making the connection, kppp ? Does yoour ISP use CHAP or PAP ?I have lots of more questions but let´s start with those.:D Bruno

#7 OFFLINE   greengeek

greengeek

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 04:52 AM

:D I always turn off plug and pray for Linux.Joy

#8 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 04:54 AM

Yep Greengeek, perhaps I should make a ultra short Howto in the TIPS covering these basic things !:D Bruno

#9 OFFLINE   imranj

imranj

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 09:16 AM

hey "georgeg4" is yur modems brain from conexant then i may help u out their.,.............i have extensive exprience using those kind of modems.Well if u have the source kernel u should complie yur modems from them best way, otherwise hope that u get a matching rpm for it if u using hsf based modem or even HCF based.i used wvdial for dialing to net , very easy to install and configure, u might need to get the configuring the script right which is very easy , just read the read me..........and every thing should be just fine.any help pm me........ :DAnd i also never had any plug and pray issues with linux except for modem one  :lol:

#10 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for jumping in here imranj ! It sure looks like George could benefit from your help :lol:.:lol: Bruno

#11 OFFLINE   georgeg4

georgeg4

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 09:38 PM

In general: You are very short on the info you give ! I have a few questions for you: What are you using to set up your dial-in ? What program do you use for making the connection, kppp ? Does yoour ISP use CHAP or PAP ?I have lots of more questions but let´s start with those.
Sorry bruno          I am not familiar with all those terms you asked me about . I am trying to set it up under system/internet connections . It shows up as ppp As far as windows is concerned I am using the original modem that is not compatible with linux .Now about the isp I have no idea what chap or pap means . It is through earthlink if that is any help . But I don't use their software I just let WinXp set it up .It does that automaticly .
Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   greengeek

greengeek

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 01:51 AM

:rolleyes:Don't give up yet George, after a day of fiddling around this is now coming to you via Mandradke 9.0 on a Gateway PII350.  The penguin now has his own computer, no more dual or multi booting.  SuSE 8.0 Pro is on a PII 400 but no internet as yet, I'm working on it.Joy

#13 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 04:19 AM

Hi GeorgeGive m a bit of time and I¨ll try ti figure out for you what earthlink uses for protocol, pap or chap.Did you change the BIOS settings to: PnP aware OS ---> NO ?:D Bruno

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users