37 Important Linux Commands You Should Know

securitybreach

securitybreach

Are you new to Linux or just a little rusty? Here are all the commands you’ll need to know. Think of this as an essential reference for the Linux terminal. This applies to the macOS command line, too.

The Essential Toolkit for the Terminal

Linux includes a large number of commands, but we’ve chosen 37 of the most important ones to present here. Learn these commands, and you’ll be much more at home at the Linux command prompt.

The below list is presented in alphabetical order. A command’s position in the list is not representative of its usefulness or simplicity. For the final word on a command’s usage, refer to its man pages. The man command is in our list, of course—it’s short for “manual...............”

https://www.howtogee...ou-should-know/

• Like 4

V.T. Eric Layton

Wow! That was good info. Unfortunately, it reminded me that I'm an old Linux geek these days. I use all 37 of those commands regularly these days. 15 years ago, I'd only even heard of two or three... and was terrified to use even the least dangerous ones. My, how times change. ;)

• Like 1

Great article, tnx for posting it SB. I use about 75% of them regularly...some I need to start using. I love Linux better then the Lava Lamp someone gave me from Spencers....

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Wow! A lava lamp? That's almost as cool as my dad's circa '70s GE AM clock radio that is sitting on the headboard of my bed this very moment... and still working fine.

dDaszNg.jpg

That was back in the day when they still made things that actually lasted more than a year. ;)

• Like 2

saturnian

Wow! A lava lamp? That's almost as cool as my dad's circa '70s GE AM clock radio that is sitting on the headboard of my bed this very moment... and still working fine.

dDaszNg.jpg

That was back in the day when they still made things that actually lasted more than a year. ;)

Wow, my dad still has an alarm clock/radio from the early 70s. It sits in the guest bedroom at my folks' house. I had it playing last time I was up there. My dad used to coach high school basketball, and that clock/radio was a gift from his first varsity team.

• Like 3

securitybreach

dDaszNg.jpg

Wow, my dad still has an alarm clock/radio from the early 70s. It sits in the guest bedroom at my folks' house. I had it playing last time I was up there. My dad used to coach high school basketball, and that clock/radio was a gift from his first varsity team.

I still get amazed that the stuff made before planned obsolescence still works so well. I have a couple of laptops that I found at work from the mid 1990s that still function perfectly. When you click on stuff, it actually launches in a timely matter. One has been sitting on one of the workbench tables running for at least 6 months with just a screensaver running. My buddy at work has it just streaming "If you're not first, you're last" across the screen (from the movie Talladega Nights).

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

I still have a lava lamp and use all of the commands on a regular basis. B)

Your lava lamp has commands? COOL! Must be the new digital lava lamp. I bet it's running on Linux, too, huh? ;)

• Like 1

securitybreach

Your lava lamp has commands? COOL! Must be the new digital lava lamp. I bet it's running on Linux, too, huh? ;)

RIght... lol

• Like 2

dDaszNg.jpg

Cool radio. I used to like collecting tabletop radios....but the tube type....had fun getting them to work again.

Cool....is the lava lamp in the same room as the Linux command center?

dDaszNg.jpg

That's nice that he's kept that gift all these years!

• Like 2

dDaszNg.jpg

I still get amazed that the stuff made before planned obsolescence still works so well. I have a couple of laptops that I found at work from the mid 1990s that still function perfectly. When you click on stuff, it actually launches in a timely matter. One has been sitting on one of the workbench tables running for at least 6 months with just a screensaver running. My buddy at work has it just streaming "If you're not first, you're last" across the screen (from the movie Talladega Nights).

That's cool the old lappy is running non-stop like that. If that were here, it'd shutdown after a week.....we get a lot of power outages here.
  • Like 1

securitybreach

dDaszNg.jpg

That's cool the old lappy is running non-stop like that. If that were here, it'd shutdown after a week.....we get a lot of power outages here.

Well even if there were power outages here, it wouldn't affect my building any. It's a 50 floor skyscraper so it has generators.

• Like 1