Software to Format CD-RW/DVD-RW Disks

vrb44

Good afternoon, I need some help to find some software (hopefully free) that will allow me to format a cd/dvd-rw disks. Right now I have Sonic Recordnow! that came with my HP laptop. It doesn't offer that option. I've checked both Sonic and HP site but didn't find any thing. I have also googled with every key word I could think of. So far no luck. Any help or advise would be appreciated. ThanksV.R.

The recordnow! will let me erase the disk. What I want to do is format the cd-rw to use like a floppy. Still looking, but so far no luck. Thanks for your reply James M. Fisher.

James M. Fisher

Ah, I see. What you are looking for is a program with packet-writing software. I don't know of any free software that does such, but there may be one out there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't XP's built-in CD burning capabilities allow you to erase CD-RW media?

James M. Fisher

It does, but it's not true packet writing IMO; copying files to a CDRW in XP is a two-step process, not drag and drop like with Nero's InCD, for example.

Good afternoon, I need some help to find some software (hopefully free) that will allow me to format a cd/dvd-rw disks. Right now I have Sonic Recordnow! that came with my HP laptop. It doesn't offer that option. I've checked both Sonic and HP site but didn't find any thing. I have also googled with every key word I could think of. So far no luck. Any help or advise would be appreciated. ThanksV.R.
You can download InCD for free at this website:http://www.click-now.net/downloads08.htmI have no idea how reputable the website is but according to McAfee site advisor - the site comes up clean. I would still take precaution and scan the download file with your anti-virus program first to make sure it's legit.Nevermind - I just realized that the site links to the actual FTP server on Ahead's website. It's perfectly safe. Here's the link:ftp://ftp.us.nero.com/InCD-4.3.23.2.exe Edited by Tushman

Guitar Man

Try lowering your CD burner drive's write speed below "fastest" or top rated speed before burning. Or do that using your CD burning software.

Try lowering your CD burner drive's write speed below "fastest" or top rated speed before burning. Or do that using your CD burning software.
That really has nothing to do with his question. What VRB wants is true "packet writing" software that will allow one to use a CD-RW just like a formatted floppy disk so he can drag & drop files. Edited by Tushman

Thanks to all for your info/help. I'll take a look at InCD. Will this software be compatible withmy recordnow! burning software?

Guitar Man
That really has nothing to do with his question. What VRB wants is true "packet writing" software
While this is not explicitly mentioned originally, the following is:
allow me to format a cd/dvd-rw disks
I'm not offering a 3rd party software solution. The OP seems to have problems formatting blank media. A very similar issue (with not exactly the same words being used) was solved by lowering those speeds. :thumbsup: This is simply another way around that problem, and is a commonly overlooked troubleshooting step. It costs nothing, and will allow him/her to do what is requested in his/her original inquiry, while retaining his/her original burning software. Why complicate things more by installing yet another burning app ?So please calm down, and re-read the initial question. :( If I'm not allowed to post tech answers (or another possible solution), would a staff member please contact me and tell me this is no longer allowed at Scot's. I will erase all cookies set by this board and move on. :( B) Thank you.

Sorry, folks. I didn't mean to cause any problems. Maybe I wasn't clear in just what I wanted to do. I want to put a blank unformatted cd-rw/dvd-rw disk in my cd drive and format the disk so I can use it like a flopy. So I can drag and drop files/folders to the disk. I hope this helps.Thanks again.

So please calm down, and re-read the initial question. B) If I'm not allowed to post tech answers (or another possible solution), would a staff member please contact me and tell me this is no longer allowed at Scot's.
No one is forcing you off this board and no one has said you're not allowed to suggest a solution. Just because someone else disagrees with you doesn't mean that you need to go home with your pouting your lips. I've used that piece of crap Sonicnow software the OP mentions and it's features are quite limited. It's horrible. It certainly won't be able to provide drag & drop feature as it doesn't do packet writing. You really need to understand first what packet writing software means before retorting with answers in a self righteous indignant tone.
I'm not offering a 3rd party software solution. The OP seems to have problems formatting blank media..... Why complicate things more by installing yet another burning app ?
Why? Because lower the burn speed has nothing to do with packet writing feature.
Sorry, folks. I didn't mean to cause any problems. Maybe I wasn't clear in just what I wanted to do. I want to put a blank unformatted cd-rw/dvd-rw disk in my cd drive and format the disk so I can use it like a flopy. So I can drag and drop files/folders to the disk. I hope this helps.Thanks again.
You've caused no argument. Some people just don't understand being wrong or offering completely inappropriate solutions are sometimes allowed. :( There's nothing to be ashamed by it and some people have a hard time admitting it when someone points it out. There's no need for flaming and telling someone they're wrong doesn't qualify as such.You don't need to rephrase your question - I've already done it above. The only one that's mucking up the waters is Phil who still believes that lowering the burn speed will give you packet writing capability. Give InCD a try or you can try out one of Roxio's products. They have a version of their own called Direct CD. Actually, the name has been changed to 'Drag to Disk' now has they've gone through several changes int he last few years. Keep in mind that none of Roxio's products are free (atleast for the stuff you're looking for anyway). Edited by Tushman

InCD is free? I thought you had to purchase Nero or get it bundled with a new optical drive to get a proper license?

InCD is free? I thought you had to purchase Nero or get it bundled with a new optical drive to get a proper license?
It may not be free Peachy. But I Googled for a free version of what VRB wants to do and there are none. As the saying goes there's no such thing as a free lunch. B) By the way, you can use InCD on it's own without the full Nero burning suite installed. Edited by Tushman

• 2 weeks later...

As a Nero user I never would have InCD on my rig. Nothing but trouble. If you do decide to use packet writing software remember that it is very unreliable and should not be used for any type of serious back up needs.

As a Nero user I never would have InCD on my rig. Nothing but trouble. If you do decide to use packet writing software remember that it is very unreliable and should not be used for any type of serious back up needs.
It doesn't help the OP if you don't tell him what sort of "trouble" you had.