SPECIAL for ATL: Drake 10.1 Official FTP install

Bruno

ONLY and SPECIALLY for All Things Linux:Get Mandrake 10.1 official NOW !!FTP install:1). Download ftp://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/pub/linux/Mandr...images/boot.iso and burn it to CD ( 8 MB ) Better mirror in 2nd post ! 2). Boot from the CD3). Press < Enter > at first screen4). FTP Server --> Press OK5). NIC setup --> Press OK6). DHCP --> Press OK7). Leave blank --> Press OK8). WAIT FOR FEW MINUTES . . . (patience)9). Proxy --> Leave blank --> OK10). Specify the mirror manually ( choice on top ) --> press OK11). First line: ftp.uni-bayreuth.de second line: /pub/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/10.1/i586/ Other lines: leave blank --> Press OK12). Loading program into memory . . . 13). The "normal install starts . . . ( NOTE: It says 10.1 community, but you are installing from the "Official" tree !! )14). Do a clean install . . NOT AN UPGRADE !!!! - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - VERY IMPORTANT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If you replace your current Mandrake install and want to keep your mail and addresses in Evolution: Do NOT format your /home partition !!If you have no separate /home . . backup the evolution directory, and after the install place it in /home BEFORE starting evolution . . . the new directory will be called .evolution ( hidden ) and uses another format for mail and addresses . . . only the procedure above will start a script to transform mail and addresses to the new format. NOTE: If you miss this chance to save your data, there is no way back. . . . . only starting the full install from scratch. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Have fun !!:w00t: Bruno

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• Dard

• SiRkNiGhT115

• swamysk

Okt 29: Other mirrors are now available too:boot.iso: ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...images/boot.iso In step 11:First line: ftp.nluug.nlSecond line: /pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/official/10.1/i586/- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Or a second Geman mirror: Boot.iso: ftp://ftp.de.uu.net/pub/linux/Mandrakelin...images/boot.iso Step 11: ftp.de.uu.net/pub/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/10.1/i586/ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - An alternative Dutch mirror:Boot.iso: ftp://ftp.nl.uu.net/pub/linux/Mandrakelin...images/boot.iso Step 11: ftp.nl.uu.net/pub/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/10.1/i586/ :w00t: Bruno

UPDATE:Install successful:

[bruno: ~]$ cat /etc/mandrake-releaseMandrakelinux release 10.1 (Official) for i586[bruno: ~]$ uname -r2.6.8.1-12mdk

As you can see above . . . . . it is the "Official" no matter what the install screen told you ;):w00t: BrunoPS: NOTE: If you replace your current Mandrake install and want to keep your mail and addresses in Evolution: Do NOT format your /home partition !!If you have no separate /home . . backup the evolution directory, and after the install place it in /home BEFORE starting evolution . . . the new directory will be called .evolution ( hidden ) and uses another format for mail and addresses . . . only the procedure above will start a script to transform mail and addresses to the new format. If you miss this chance to save your data, there is no way back. . . . . only starting the full install from scratch.

Installing extra software is real easy now . . you never ever have to insert a CD . . it gets it all from the net ;)Be sure to read the NOTE I made about evolution . . . because that trick works only once: The very first time you start it . . . . . !!B) Bruno

Hi DardWell there is no real hurry to do it . . . it still has the same KDE and Gnome, and if your 10.0 system is up to date you more or less got the same.There is however one reason to do it before 10.2 would come: The new Evolution mail program. . . . See if you want to save your old mail and addresses,: this version has a script to put it the old data in the "new format" for its databases that Evolution will be using from now on. Big chances are that jumping from 10.0 to 10.2 in the future you will have big problems gettign your addresses imported from the old to the new Evolution.It is a pretty tricky script, that "transform-databases-script" because it only works once: The very first time you start the new evolution. ( see my remark in RED earlier in this thread. )If however you do not use/need Evolution . . . . don't want to change screeen resolutions "on the fly" . . . . . have no need to stop your cable-dsl net-connection from the task-bar . . . . and am not attracted by the design of the new packs :o http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/101 . . . . . In that case: just wait till you feel adventurous enough to install the new 10.1 maybe that will be as long as the 10.2 will be there ;):harhar: Bruno

It is in English Dard . . . but you can also wait 3 weeks . . in 3 weeks there will be "normal" ISO's . . . . :o BrunoPS: "nluug" does not have it yet . . .

Did the install last night, took 2 hours total,including the bit of after install clean up...have to say..it went extremely well, :D So I be Offical now.. :thumbsup:Everything works, sound, printer..Now for the Nvidia ...and we are good to go...ummm til the next time...or next new distro.. :unsure:

Hi BarryDid you notice this version boots much faster then previous versions of Drake ??About the Nvidia drivers: Note that untill Nvidia releases a bug-fix for its 6111 driver you will have to follow the instructions here: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...=8709&hl=nvidia( patch your own driver, and add "nvidia" in /etc/modules.preload ;)This is not a bug in Drake but in the drivers released by nvidia concerning kernels above 2.6.8B) BrunoPS: To EVERYBODY: Please read the NOTE in RED in This Post because there is really no other way to save you old mail and addresses. Once you let that chance pass only a full re-install and restore of the backup file will do the trick. ( And I did try a few hacks to make it work )

BrunoYes I did notice the better bootup speed(and general over all speed)...and noted the Nvidia bug...might wait abit to see what they do...and was able to save all the mail based on your post...so that works too.. :unsure:

Glad the evolution-mail thing worked . . . that is one of my bigger worries with all the people wanting to upgrade their Mandrake install.The Nvidia is not really a problem once you follow the instructions ( real easy ):unsure: Bruno

James M. Fisher

Of course, I had problems! :D I got as far as the DHCP thing and I rec'd an error everytime I tried. So I decided to select ADSL and I was able to connect fine. I got as far as entering the ftp address as you gave above and I recieved an "incorrect host name" or something similar. I checked and re-checked my spelling, all to no avail.What me do wrong this time? :lol:

Very strange James . . . I am doing the install at this very moment on another system and have no problems . . Are you sure you have those lines correct . . including the / slashes starting and ending the second line ? ?First line: ftp.uni-bayreuth.de ( without ftp:// )Second line: /pub/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/10.1/i586/:lol: Bruno

James M. Fisher

Yes, I am almost 100% sure I did everything right. I'll try again later. Would using the ADSL connection make any difference?

I would not see why that would make a difference . . . . . maybe the mirror was overloaded . . :lol: . . these rumours go quick over the net . . . anyway my install is done so you can have the bandwith I was taking :PB) Bruno

James M. Fisher

Just tried again...no joy. :D I get "Error: bad host name" after entering the ftp server name and path. I triple-checked everything, Bruno.DHCP returns a "DHCP request refused" if I go that route instead of ADSL.

Just tried again...no joy.  :D I get "Error: bad host name" after entering the ftp server name and path. I triple-checked everything, Bruno.DHCP returns a "DHCP request refused" if I go that route instead of ADSL.
I would try132.180.15.5or132.180.15.4instead offtp.uni-bayreuth.deIncase your ISPs nameserver is not resolving ftp.uni-bayreuth.de correctly$ whois uni-bayreuth.deOtherwise I'd say the server is probably overloaded.

I would try132.180.15.5or132.180.15.4instead offtp.uni-bayreuth.deIncase your ISPs nameserver is not resolving ftp.uni-bayreuth.de correctly$ whois uni-bayreuth.deOtherwise I'd say the server is probably overloaded.
I think this is a good point Dard . . and worth to try . . . :D Bruno

Installing extra software is real easy now . . you never ever have to insert a CD . . it gets it all from the net :P
aaaAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!, The 56k'ers will NOT be impressed. :D

aaaAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!, The 56k'ers will NOT be impressed. :whistling:
Now really David . . . sure you are not thinking that there would be anybody on dial-up attempting an FTP install, do you ?We have a special "adoption program" for dial-up users, they get send CD's of the distro's and sometimes even with updates and extra software. . . . . . . When you do an install from FTP your sources for extra software will be FTP, but when you install from CD the extra software you can install ( that matches the distro and version ) will be on the CDs ( that is why there often are 3 to 4 CD's ).Now that I had the chance to introduce our very successful "adoption plan" to you . . maybe it is time to ask if you already volunteerd yourself to be one of the generous adopters . . . ;) ;) :w00tx100: :w00tx100: ???B) Bruno

Two questions.1) I presume that the FTP install installs the generic NV modules instead of the nVidia modules for my older video card, is this correct?2) The boot.iso I presume will work at any FTP site that has the mandrake 10.1 official distribution rpms etc.That is the boot.iso I got from the German FTP site will work at the nluug site. Or maybe I should say there is nothing specific that ties the boot.iso to any single FTP site.PS. I just happen to have found a spare 13 gig hard drive with the older mandrake 7.0 on it, guess I'll not miss that one. The darn thing was hidding in plain sight on the book case. :thumbsup:

Hi Dard . . . herre are the answers ;)1). Correct . . . and if you want, after the install you can get the drivers from the Nvidia site, patch them ( they have a bug concerning kernel 2.6.8 and above ) and install those. ( see: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...=8709&hl=nvidia )2). Also correct . . the boot.iso is generic and you can fill in any mirror site you want to as long as they got the files. ( see info in second post of this thread )3). Mandrake 7.0 is fun . . . but 10.1 is SUPER ! :DB) Bruno