Hurricane Dorian - 090119

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Now a Category 5 Hurricane With 160 mph Winds

I do hope this storm follows the predicted path. If it doesn't, and actually makes landfall somewhere on Florida's east coast, it'll be very, very bad. It's already going to be devastating for the Bahamas. :(

Fingers crossed for Florida... and the rest of the U.S. eastern seaboard.

TD-5-640x360.png

V.T. Eric Layton

Its projected path is a northward sweep up the eastern coast of the U.S. If it stays out there, I'll be fine and dandy on my side of FL. :)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I've been through a few. Even a CAT1 can be devastating. A CAT5 is apocalyptic in regards to the damage it can do. Houses, trees, power poles, etc. just aren't meant to go 180mph. :(

Three hurricanes stand out in my mind: ( I live 130+ miles/209+ km from the Atlantic coast line)

We usually have more water damage than wind damage.

Hazel 1954 "the deadliest, costliest, and most intense hurricane of the 1954 Atlantic hurricane season." Cat 4

I was young and remembered the flooding a few blocks from where we lived. Fortunately, we lived on higher ground.

Agnes 1972 - I just returned from overseas and bad weather followed me every leg of the journey. I was to teach at a different school and remember seeing the watermark line on the school stage back wall that showed how much water was in the building.

Irene 2011 "first hurricane, and first major hurricane of the 2011 Atlantic hurricane season." This was the year 4 trees fell on our roof from all the soaking rain. A week later tropical storm Lee came through with 6" - 14" of more rain.

We had a tarp on the roof that couldn't be repaired because it was raining through most of September. So they built a knee wall to keep the roof from collapsing. We had industrial fans on the first floor to dry the plaster walls and ceiling from the rain that came in through the hole in the roof. We had our own fans in the basement to dry the water that came in from tropical storm Lee.

I was thankful that Hurricane Sandy in 2012 didn't affect us because we were still recovering from the previous year's two storms.

• Like 1

Floyd - dropped two trees on my house.

Sandy - dropped a tree on my wife's car.

In both cases, it occurred after the worst winds had abated. It appeared that saturated soil had more to do with the trees coming down than wind velocity.

• Like 1

securitybreach

When I lived in Daytona Beach we got hit by Charlie, Frances and Jeanne all in 2004 one after another. The city looked like a war zone when it was over with.

I've been through a few. Even a CAT1 can be devastating. A CAT5 is apocalyptic in regards to the damage it can do. Houses, trees, power poles, etc. just aren't meant to go 180mph. :(

One story I read mentioned a woman in a hardened house with hurricane resistant glass who had her windows break and water fill her first floor. Someone else described being "in an aquarium" with water outside almost to the top of their hurricane resistant first floor windows, which were at least holding at that point. I'm assuming they were somewhere near the coast in the Bahamas. Terrible. :'(

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah, you literally need to be in a steel re-enforced concrete bunker to deal with a CAT 5. It's like a huge 300 mile wide bulldozer blade scrapping across everything in it's path. This is what homes looked like in Homestead, FL after Hurricane Andrew (a CAT 5) went by a few years back...

38_hurricane_andrew_1992.jpg

Looks from the last forecast track like this storm is heading for rejean on Cape Breton island. Hope it's lost its punch over the colder water before it gets there.

• Like 2

The latest:

Hurricane Dorian made landfall at 8:35 a.m. Friday at Cape Hatteras, N.C.

The most up to date info I could find for the Canadian Maritimes was from 16 hours ago.

https://www.capebretonpost.com/news/local/hurricane-dorian-expected-to-bring-heavy-post-tropical-storm-to-cape-breton-349034/

Edited by zlim
  • Like 2