updating Mandriva 2006 created havoc

réjean

Scot's Newsletter Forums does not encourage or condone violating any law regarding copyright or DRM/DMCA (U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act) in the USA, or similar laws that may exist in other countries. Some of the software mentioned in this thread may be illegal to use in your location. Copying certain CDs/DVDs may also be illegal in your location. Even if you may believe these laws to be unconstitutional, unethical, silly, and a violation of consumer fair use rights, please check the laws for your location before following the advice in this thread. . . . . . -- Forum Admins & Moderators
Hi all!Yesterday I noticed the 2 updates Bruno posted and since I was in PCLinuxOS already I decided to go with that one first. Everything went fine.Later that evening I decided to go to Mandriva 2006 and get them. I went to MCC ( as usual ) =>updates and I was told there were 204 new updates ( but I had "security", "bug fixes" and "normal" all checked ) adding up to 705 MB or so. I decided to go with it anyway even if it meant letting them finish over night. After I aggreed to chose between a few older and newer files, and to uninstall an older wine version the downloaded started fine and when their were about 50 files downloaded without problems I decided to go to bed.When I got up this morning the little window saying something like installing files was still there but not saying anything. I clicked over a gray area several times to wake it up but nothing happened. I looked into the bigger Control Center where I was expected to see a message like "Install finish" or " there are no new updates" or something similar and it too was empty.So I decided to update again but this time just the security for a test. Sure enough I was told there were 204 files which I oked, then chose the few more recent files as opposed to olders, then to let it uninstall wine. It downloaded and installed ( while I was browsing this forum ) and once again I had the empty little and bigger windows. I rebooted the machine hoping the process would finish upon reboot but all I can get now is a window with a clock, a user name then password underneath, a Login and Menu at the bottom and severel entries on the left side with things like;adm,bin,daemon,games,...,rejean,root,...,shutdown. that says;

. .. I was told there were 204 new updates . . . .
204 updates ???? . . . I never posted that many updates Here . . . . . I wonder what sources you had active and marked for "updates" in the MCC ( only the "update_source" should have the 2 boxes checked . . . in general I have the minimum of sources active, only when I look for a special package I activate the Contrib, PLF or Thac ones in any case they should never have the "updates?" box checked )screen-MCC.jpgI wonder if you had the "cooker" sources . . . only those do have that many packages a few times a week.Seems to me that you blew up your install and will have to start from scratch . . ( maybe get the ISO's this time )B) Bruno

Thanks Bruno!

I wonder what sources you had active and marked for "updates" in the MCC ( only the "update_source" should have the 2 boxes checked . ..
That was exactly my first thought this morning. I'm sure I had them all checked ( not as many as you have ( meaning the whole list you posted ) but a good half dozen ).One more note I will be writing down as soon as I start downloading the ISOs and this time if the downloads are slow I'll know enough to pick a faster mirror instead of waiting for a day to get any speed. Lol!Thanks again Bruno!

That's what I did Bruno! Got the 3 in already. Burning the 2nd.Thanks!Oh! BTW. After installing I'll do the update. THEN add the sources and go on adding what is suggested in the Jem Report? Right?

The Jem Report? . . . What was in the Jem Report? ( you have me worried right now . . ). . . . I can not reach the site right now

The operation timed out when attempting to contact www.thejemreport.com.
. . . please explain me what they did advise you to do . . . ( B) you should not believe everything they tell you on the Net B) ) . . . . . . . :D :DB) Bruno

Sorry Bruno!I was working out of memory running back and forth between the 2 machines ( Linux and the other one ) and I confused your set of advice to get videos and sound from the net and thejemreport which is for SuSE. I cannot access it tonight either btw. So once I have installed Mandriva and updated it, I will add the other sources as you indicated in a previous post, then I'll go back to the thread where you showed me how to add the win32 codec and all.I hope I didn't frightened you to much!!!

Oh! The pleasure of using Mandriva. :D First my adventure of this morning ( my fault I know. I can take the blame ). After reinstalling and rebooting I had the same old problem with the weird icons on the desktop. Looked in my notes but it's not there. Easy. I'll just do a search on this forum to find out what the solution was ( It happens to be a trick I think burninbush gave me and copy a good "xorg.conf" and replace the actual one ). No problem ( to find it out I had to reboot into PCLOs however because Mandriva doesn't want to go online. So I have to figure out the ethernet connection first, which I thought had been taken care of during the install. No problem, I'll copy my 'xorg.conf' from PCLos to Mandriva. No way! Access denied.Oh the pleasure...

I'll copy my 'xorg.conf' from PCLos to Mandriva. No way! Access denied.
It a small comfort to note that I'm not the only person not being able to get to files that I want in PCLos! Good luck, Réjean!

It a small comfort to note that I'm not the only person not being able to get to files that I want in PCLos! Good luck, Réjean!
Hi Liz!I'm in SuSE 10.1 Alpha 2 ( which is supposed to be quite unstable ) and was able to move one file from here to my Share file in PCLos and to copy my "/etc/xorg.conf" from PCLos to here so the problem with me is not PCLos but Mandriva.I will keep on trying to figure out the network because if I don't do so there is nothing I really can do. I am not going to copy the whole "/etc/lilo.conf" by hand for example, even less the "/etc/xorg.conf" and I know that the only way I can make the desktop look good is to copy a working one from another "smarter" distro. I think that if ever I get Mandriva 2006 working again I will be really picky about the updates ( but then I know that after awhile I'll have a very long list of them and will have to spend a long time figuring out which one I need, or want , even if I stay with the security and the bug fixes only). Edited by réjean

Hi RéjeanI hope you did not mix the SUSE sources in Mandiva in your previous install . . and that would be why you had all those updates ?? B) B) Bruno

No Bruno. I didn't mixed the sources. lolI don't know what happened but I can now get into Mandriva 2006 using the good old Mandrake 10.1 CD rescue. I still have to amend the Xandros /etc/lilo.conf but that shouldn't be a problem if I can remember Julia's trick.I was able to share my /home/rejean/temp folder and move the /etc/xorg.conf ( to tell you the truth I'm not sure it's /etc/ I'll check here in PCLos before going back to Mandriva and doing the changes ).If only I can figure out how to make my network work so I can go online from Mandriva. When I go into Configure your desktop => network and Internet => set up new network I choose "lan connection" then all I get is " net device" manually load driver. I thought it was "813too" so I tried that click on Next at the bottom right and I go back to the previous page "net device etc".Any idea anyone of how I can figure out my network. If I can get that working then I can pretty well go back to where I was a few days ago before MY big mistake.P.S. I noticed Bruno put a Warning at the bottom of the last URPM sources entries. Good move my friend. It may solve a lot of nightmares.

. . . . I noticed Bruno put a Warning at the bottom of the last URPM sources entries. . . . .
Yep we are getting far too many sources this year . . . so the chances on getting a big mess are growing :DFor your network . . . . . I every time only use the MCC to do those things . . . simply remove the old network interface configuration and set up a new one . . . simple as cake . . . ;)B) Bruno

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times but still no go. When I choose "Configure network" and give the password all I get ( as I said in the precedent post ) is "net device " manually load driver ". I cannot uncheck that. Oh well! I'll keep on trying.I just checked into PCLos and the Module name is: 8139too

Edited by réjean

Hi again!Geez I'm stupid! I reinstalled Mandriva 2006 but more than half way through I realized why I couldn't get the network working: I was booting into it using the CD rescue which ( and I can be corrected here ) is like using Safe Mode in Windows. Isn't it. Anyway I am now trying to figure out how to install Mandriva in Xandros' lilo. I found Julia's trick[other="/dev/hda8"label="mandriva"[/code]but I know that I have to mount the partition first and I have to specify the type first:

rejean@rejean55:~$ suPassword:rejean55:/home/rejean# vi /etc/lilo.confrejean55:/home/rejean# /sbin/liloWarning: COMPACT may conflict with LBA32 on some systemsAdded Xandros_Desktop_3.0.2_OC *Added Safe_Video_ModeAdded Configure_(Expert)Added pclinuxos_Linux_release_2005Added Welcome_to_SUSE_LINUX_10.0.42Added Ubuntu_5.10_on_hdc1Fatal: stat dev/hda8: No such file or directoryrejean55:/home/rejean# mount /dev/hda8/ mnt/hda8mount: you must specify the filesystem type

So while I keep on working on it if someone has a suggestion I am more then open.Thanks!here is my latest:

rejean55:/home/rejean# /sbin/liloWarning: COMPACT may conflict with LBA32 on some systemsAdded Xandros_Desktop_3.0.2_OC *Added Safe_Video_ModeAdded Configure_(Expert)Added pclinuxos_Linux_release_2005Added Welcome_to_SUSE_LINUX_10.0.42Added Ubuntu_5.10_on_hdc1Fatal: stat dev/hda8/: No such file or directoryrejean55:/home/rejean# vi /etc/lilo.confrejean55:/home/rejean# /sbin/liloWarning: COMPACT may conflict with LBA32 on some systemsAdded Xandros_Desktop_3.0.2_OC *Added Safe_Video_ModeAdded Configure_(Expert)Added pclinuxos_Linux_release_2005Added Welcome_to_SUSE_LINUX_10.0.42Added Ubuntu_5.10_on_hdc1Unrecognized token "12mdk-i586-up-1GB" at or above line 46 in file '/etc/lilo.conf'rejean55:/home/rejean#

with the following /etc/lilo.conf:

rejean55:/home/rejean# cat /etc/lilo.confboot=/dev/hdainstall=/boot/cboot.bmessage=/boot/splash.lilotimeout=300map=/boot/mappromptlba32read-onlycompactfix-tableimage=/vmlinuz		label=Xandros_Desktop_3.0.2_OC		vga=0xf04		root=/dev/hda6		initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.11-x1.gz		append="quiet rw acpi=on "image=/vmlinuz		label=Safe_Video_Mode		vga=0xf04		root=/dev/hda6		initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.11-x1.gz		append="quiet 3 rw acpi=on "image=/vmlinuz		label=Configure_(Expert)		vga=normal		root=/dev/hda6		initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.11-x1.gz		append="single quiet rw acpi=on noresume noresume2 "image=/disks/pclinuxos/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-oci12.mdk-i586-up-1GB		label=pclinuxos_Linux_release_2005		vga=788		root=/dev/hda1		initrd=/disks/pclinuxos/boot/initrd-2.6.11-oci12.mdk-i586-up-1GB.img		append="devfs=nomount acpi=ht nomce splash=silent psmouse.proto=imps rw"		read-onlyimage=/disks/welcome/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.13.2-2-default		label=Welcome_to_SUSE_LINUX_10.0.42		vga=0x317		initrd=/disks/welcome/boot/initrd-2.6.13.2-2-default		append="root=/dev/hda3 selinux=0 acpi=off resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent showoptst showopts rw "image=/disks/ubuntu/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-386		label=Ubuntu_5.10_on_hdc1		initrd=/disks/ubuntu/boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-9-386		append="root=/dev/hdc1 ro quiet splash"image=/disks/mandriva/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12- 12mdk-i586-up-1GB		label=Mandriva 2006		vga=788		root=/dev/hda8		initrd=/disks/mandriva/boot/initrd-2.6.12 12mdk-i586-up-1GB		append="devfs=nomount acpi=ht nomce splash=silent psmouse.proto=imps rw"		read-only

this way if something goes wrong I can at least correct the other entries.

Edited by réjean

Thanks quint!I haven't been upstairs since awhile but from reading my post down here on the win machine that was also my conclusion. Will give it a try. You do have a good eye for code I can tell you that.here are more trials and errors:

Warning: COMPACT may conflict with LBA32 on some systemsAdded Xandros_Desktop_3.0.2_OC *Added Safe_Video_ModeAdded Configure_(Expert)Added pclinuxos_Linux_release_2005Added Welcome_to_SUSE_LINUX_10.0.42Added Ubuntu_5.10_on_hdc1Unrecognized token "12mdk-i586-up-1GB" at or above line 50 in file '/etc/lilo.conf'rejean55:~# /sbin/liloWarning: COMPACT may conflict with LBA32 on some systemsAdded Xandros_Desktop_3.0.2_OC *Added Safe_Video_ModeAdded Configure_(Expert)Added pclinuxos_Linux_release_2005Added Welcome_to_SUSE_LINUX_10.0.42Added Ubuntu_5.10_on_hdc1\n and \t are not allowed in quoted strings at or above line 50 in file '/etc/lilo.conf'rejean55:~# /sbin/liloWarning: COMPACT may conflict with LBA32 on some systemsAdded Xandros_Desktop_3.0.2_OC *Added Safe_Video_ModeAdded Configure_(Expert)Added pclinuxos_Linux_release_2005Added Welcome_to_SUSE_LINUX_10.0.42Added Ubuntu_5.10_on_hdc1Fatal: open /disks/mandriva/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-12mdk-i586-up-1GB: No such file or directoryrejean55:~#

Edited by réjean

Hurray!I did it quint. I gave up on Bruno's way and tried Julia's: Where if you have installed your bootloader on its own partition all you have to do is add;

other="/dev/hda8"label="mandriva"

My problem was that I was leaving the old mandriva entry in this afternoon ( which was installed by Xandros when I reinstalled the 3.0.2 version last week. )Now I am posting from Mandriva. I have quite a bit of work to do however.I am glad that I was able to prove to myself that using a Rescue CD is like working in Safe Mode and that only the basic will work until you can fix your problem. Upon booting into Mandriva through the big door the ethernet connection worked like a charm.I still have to change the xorg.conf and a lot more but now I'm in. Thanks for standing by me, my friend. If I can ever be of any assistance to you rest assure that I will do my best

I don't know what happened but I can now get into Mandriva 2006 using the good old Mandrake 10.1 CD rescue.
Hi Réjean . . . . reviewing the topic I came across this text quoted here above . . . . . . and now I see why you had trouble with the networking: You used the 10.1 rescue CD to boot 2006 . . . . = using the kernel from 10.1 with the kernel-modules ( drivers ) from 2006 ! No wonder you had problems :DYou better make a new rescue CD . . . this time for 2006, and dump the 10.1 one ;):hysterical: BrunoPS: Using the rescue CD does not get you in "safe-mode", but should give you a full functional system

Hi Bruno!Thanks for the correction about A CD Rescue not making it a "Safe Mode" ( Sorry if I misleaded anyone. I sure didn't mean to lie on purpose. It's that with my little knowledge of Linux I thought this is what was happening ), and for the suggestion to create a new Rescue CD. I will do so.I did change the xorg.conf so I now have a good looking desktop. I installed all the codecs and plugins for Mplayer and I am about to do the same with Flash. I couldn't find the 2 files ( libflashplayer.so and flashplayer.xpt ) anywhere even after installing all the URPMI sources but the 2 MandrivaClub but I found them under my /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ in Xandros ( installed there by default I must add ) so I assume it is find to use them.Just a quick question for anyone if I may. I noticed this afternoon that during the last install I forgot to specify the extension type and it appears that I have "ext2" instead of the "ext3" recommended by Bruno. Is it bad? Should I reinstall before doing anything else or is there a way to change it from inside Mandriva?I will wait for a suggestion before doing anything.Thanks again!RéjeanP.S. It wouldn't be that easy, Quint, if I didn't have my notes and this forum to search through for a clue or an answer.Yes, dear Princesse de Pinguin. It is indeed a lot easier to use your way ( as long as I can remember where I saved the trick! Lol! I should email it to myself to my yahoo email addy. I had it in my Xandros 2.0 but when I reinstalled Xandros 3.0.2 last week it erased it and use the longer code on its own. I didn't have anything to do and all the distros were included ( and working ) into its Lilo. )

Edited by réjean

Hi RéjeanYou can easily convert an Ext2 filesystem to Ext3 . . . . read here: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...=14&t=503&st=49This part:

I would advice the Ext3.You can easily convert Ext2 ( Linux native ) to Ext3 without re-format or re-install:
# tune2fs -j /dev/hda?

( where you replace the ? with the no of the partition, see previous text about "partitions" )

;):) Bruno

Hi RéjeanYou can easily convert an Ext2 filesystem to Ext3 . . . . read here: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...=14&t=503&st=49This part:;):) Bruno
Thanks Bruno!What a relief! I wasn't looking forward to a reinstall so soon after the last one.The following looks right does it not?
[rejean@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost rejean]# tune2fs -j /dev/hda8tune2fs 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)Creating journal inode: doneThis filesystem will be automatically checked every 20 mounts or180 days, whichever comes first.  Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.[root@localhost rejean]# vi /etc/fstab[root@localhost rejean]# cat /etc/fstabi# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details/dev/hda8 / ext3 defaults 1 1none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0none /proc proc defaults 0 0/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0/dev/hda10 swap swap defaults 0 0/dev/hdc5 swap swap defaults 0 0/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0[root@localhost rejean]#

Edited by réjean

Wow I was wondering about this very thing, I was looking at my partitions the other day trying to figure out where my Debian install went. I used Julia's trick to add it to my lilo ( I have been having so much fun with Mandriva 2006 I haven't touched anything else) it worked so slick. Thank you Teacher! In the meantime I noticed that Mandrivas partitions were formatted linux native, and here Bruno has supplied the answer I needed to fix the problem; thank you Bruno! Rejean you ask some of the best questions. :)

Rolana You are quite welcome. Glad it is working so well for you. Sounds like you are having fun. Way to go!RéjeanCongrats on solving that one successfully!