Mandrake Updates and URPMI´s

teacher

Sometimes I seem to do things right and other times I seem lost. From the Mandrake Center when you want to get the latest updates, which icon do you use? When you see the list of software, are you in the right place? Do you have to go through and check each individual box. Is there a way to do a global update where it goes and grabs everything.If you find a file you like on the Mandrake Club site, such as Wine. You click on the download. What do you do from there? The files have a .tar extension. I get very confused at this point. Or am I downloading the wrong version.I am still trying to grasp everything and am doing fine for the most part from a GUI screen, but when it comes to updates and installs I get lost. It is hard to change 20 years of habits. :lol: Many thanks.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• teacher

• quint

• GolfProRM

Top Posters In This Topic

nlinecomputers

You use Drakupdate.There are 4 icons. One to install software from your CDs. One to remove sofware from your CDs. One for updates. And one to manage what sources to get software from.

Hi Julia

From the Mandrake Center when you want to get the latest updates, which icon do you use?
In the MCC you use the icon software management first, then Mandrake update ( first icon second line ). It will get a list from the update mirror ( site ) and will present you the packages when done. You will need all those packages because the list is adapted to your configuration. Select a few packages at a time and press OK, it will then download the packages and install them. Then you select the next few etc. tec.
If you find a file you like on the Mandrake Club site, such as Wine. You click on the download. What do you do from there? The files have a .tar extension. I get very confused at this point. Or am I downloading the wrong version.
If you want Wine or what ever program get the RPM packages for them. Not the ".tar.gz". RPM is easy to install. In the case of wine, I think the are on your CD's, that makes install even more easy: Go to MCC, software management , install software ( first icon on first line ) and type wine in the search field. It will come up with the package and as you select it and press OK it will ask you for the CD Wine is on. Easy as cake . . ( a birthday cake :) ):lol: Bruno

Sometimes I seem to do things right and other times I seem lost.  From the Mandrake Center when you want to get the latest updates, which icon do you use?  When you see the list of software, are you in the right place?  Do you have to go through and check each individual box.  Is there a way to do a global update where it goes and grabs everything.If you find a file you like on the Mandrake Club site, such as Wine.  You click on the download.  What do you do from there?  The files have a .tar extension.  I get very confused at this point.  Or am I downloading the wrong version.I am still trying to grasp everything and am doing fine for the most part from a GUI screen, but when it comes to updates and installs I get lost.  It is hard to change 20 years of habits.  :) Many thanks.
Hi Julia,Here is an excellent page where Bruno explains how to install the various types of Linux programs/packages: :lol: RPM-TarballEnjoy your special day! :)

JuliaI checked Wine:wine-20030115-4mdk is on CD 1wine-utils-20030115-4mdk is on CD 3Howto install: Go to MCC--> Software management --> ¨RpmDrake helps you install software packages¨ ( the icon with the + )type in wine, search, check the two pacjages mentioned here above. Press¨install¨ and feed your computer the CDs it asks for. That´s all.Just additional info for the updates: ¨Mandrake Update helps you apply any fixes or upgrades to installed packages¨ ( icon with round flash ) and follow the yellow brick road.I´ll have a look into ¨Xwine¨ and will report to you later, please do the updates first :):) Bruno

JuliaURPMI part 1Xwine: Go Here ( you will need your MandrakeClub password to get access to the site ) and click on ¨XWine-0.3-1mdk RPM for i586¨ the big red text on top of the info box.( The next steps are a bit complicated but this has only to be done once, we add a new source to your software sources )Now you get a list of mirrors, look for your mirror, and DO NOT CLICK ON THE MIRROR ! but on ¨URPMI setup¨, you will get a page where you see a line that starts with : ¨urpmi.addmedia contrib_ftp.nl.uu.net_i586_9.1 ¨ etc you have to copy that line and open a console, type su after the prompt, give your rootpassword and then paste the line in after the rootprompt. You do not have to change anything to the line just hit enter and wait for the list to be transferred to your computer. ( be patient the list of FREE software you get as member of the Club is very very long !! )After transfer you can just type: ¨urpmi xwine-0.3-1mdk.i586¨ and your computer will download and install xwine . . that simple ! ( that is also all you have to do the next time, because you add the source only once ):) BrunoNOTE: xwine is comercial software and NOT free for non Club Members.

URPMI part 2( Please do read ¨Installing software URPMI¨ on page 2 of the tips )Now that we have added the URPMI sources to your software manager, we can have a look at all the packages ( and its dependencies ! ) you can download with ease without hassle. As Mandrake Club member you can get near to 100 Gig aditional software for free, also software you normaly would have to pay for !Go to the MCC --> Software Management --> ¨RpmDrake helps you install software packages¨ ( the icon with the + ). Now you will see the text : ¨All packages¨ under the search-box., ¨All packages¨ ¨by group¨ change the by group in: ¨ by source repository¨ and you will get a list with the sources you can coose from: CD1 CD2 CD3 and also the Updatesource and the ¨Contrib¨ source. That is the one ! ¨Contrib ftp¨, click in the little triangle in front of ¨contrib ftp¨, and a list will fold out with all the packages you can choose from . . . . FUN, MAGIC, BLISS !The nice thing from URPMI is that install is super easy and can´t go wrong, it picks up the aditional packages needed for the selected software aswell, you just need an internet connection . . . :DB) Bruno

Hi JuliaBecause you have problems with the Club Site and URPMI, here is another way:Log in on the Mandrake Club Site and go to the Preferences page ( that is where you ended up each time anyway )Look for the line: ¨ Better mirror list, exclusively for Club members. Try it out, and judge for yourself. :-)¨ and click on it.You will get the ¨Morror finder¨ Step 1 is set on 9.1, step2 on i586, and put step 3 on ¨contributions¨ then press ¨show me the mirrors¨Press on ¨(URPMI SETUP)¨ of the mirror ftp.nluug.nl ( Netherlands ) or a good mirror in the US if you know one.On the next page, read the text and copy the line printed in bold.Go to a console, log in as su and paste the line after the prompt and hit enter.Now it should work and get the list . . . be patient, it takes a while.Then as you get the prompt back, close the sonsole ( Ctrl+d , 2x ) and go to the MCC to check if the packages are there.:D Bruno

Go to the MCC --> Software Management --> ¨RpmDrake helps you install software packages¨ ( the icon with the + ). Now you will see the text : ¨All packages¨ under the search-box., ¨All packages¨ ¨by group¨ change the by group in: ¨ by source repository¨ and you will get a list with the sources you can coose from: CD1 CD2 CD3 and also the Updatesource and the ¨Contrib¨ source. That is the one ! ¨Contrib ftp¨, click in the little triangle in front of ¨contrib ftp¨, and a list will fold out with all the packages you can choose from . . . . FUN, MAGIC, BLISS !
Xwine should be near the bottom of the contrib listB) Bruno

Okay, I followed all of that. I have 1. successfully removed the file that had a bad signature, 2. gone and found the club site on the mirror list, 3. clicked on it to go to the link. 4. Highlighed the command and pasted it in at the su prompt; 5. let that load. 6. Closed out the SU console. 7. Gone back to the Mandrake console. 8. Opened up the RPM sourse software link. 9. Verified that the new source was listed. Now (deep breath) I went over to the RPMDrake system and looked under the by source method for the XWine I want to install. It was not there. What is my next step and what have I goofed up?____________________________________The Obedient :D Teacher

RPMDrake system
Where is that situated ??Here is where to go:Go to the MCC --> Software Management --> ¨RpmDrake helps you install software packages¨ ( the icon with the + ):D Bruno

by source repository¨ and you will get a list with the sources you can coose from: CD1 CD2 CD3 and also the Updatesource and the ¨Contrib¨ source.
What kind of sources do you see there ? Not the contrib one ?:D Bruno

When I go by source I see the ftp nluug one as well as the update source one. Lots of stuff listed there but not xwine......

You added the wrong source ! There are 5 different URPMI sources, you need the Contrib one.OK we start all over !First go to the sources management, you know where you added CD3 and delete the Update AND the nluug and close of with save.I´ll post the next step in a minuteB) Bruno

I now have the correct source: It starts off with the word club...... However when I drop down from the arrow I do not see XWine. Come on, you can do it, tell me what I did wrong or am I trying things the wrong way?

I went back and looked on the club list. This time when I cliked on the big red words at the tiop it took me to a mirror and rpm list. I clicked on the rpm and it gave me a slightly different address than the last one I pasted that in at a consule and ran that. XWine-0.3.1-1mdk RPM for i586 is the name of the package. This source gave me a different list but I still don't see XWine.

What source did you add now ?I posted this for you a few posts ago here you can not go wrong:

Because you have problems with the Club Site and URPMI, here is another way:Log in on the Mandrake Club Site and go to the Preferences page ( that is where you ended up each time anyway )Look for the line: ¨ Better mirror list, exclusively for Club members. Try it out, and judge for yourself. :-)¨ and click on it.You will get the ¨Morror finder¨ Step 1 is set on 9.1, step2 on i586, and put step 3 on ¨contributions¨ then press ¨show me the mirrors¨Press on ¨(URPMI SETUP)¨ of the mirror ftp.nluug.nl ( Netherlands ) or a good mirror in the US if you know one.On the next page, read the text and copy the line printed in bold.Go to a console, log in as su and paste the line after the prompt and hit enter.Now it should work and get the list . . . be patient, it takes a while.Then as you get the prompt back, close the sonsole ( Ctrl+d , 2x ) and go to the MCC to check if the packages are there.
But first get rid of the wrong sources, be carefull you can not just add and remove sources indefenetely !!Delete the useless sources and run:urpmi.update -a (as root)Then do the adding of the source like in the quote above !:D Bruno

rpmi -1 update command not found. Did I delete too much?Don't yell. I am trying....... I can see it coming. Stuck in the corner with a dunce cap on my head and writing on the board 1000 "I will listen carefully to Bruno and do EXACTLY as he says.......

Teach,Love the updated look - very mod! B) I hope I look that good after MY next Linux reinstall - maybe tomorrow! :) ------------------Wow, was that Bruno that I saw running out of the forum screaming?? :D

Here it is again Julia:Log in on the Mandrake Club Site and go to the Preferences page ( that is where you ended up each time anyway )Look for the line: ¨ Better mirror list, exclusively for Club members. Try it out, and judge for yourself. :-)¨ and click on it.You will get the ¨Morror finder¨ Step 1 is set on 9.1, step2 on i586, and put step 3 on ¨contributions¨ then press ¨show me the mirrors¨Press on ¨(URPMI SETUP)¨ of the mirror ftp.nluug.nl ( Netherlands ) or a good mirror in the US if you know one.On the next page, read the text and copy the line printed in bold.Go to a console, log in as su and paste the line after the prompt and hit enter.Now it should work and get the list . . . be patient, it takes a while.Then as you get the prompt back, close the sonsole ( Ctrl+d , 2x ) and go to the MCC to check if the packages are there.Simple and clear . .B):D Bruno

That's what I meant to type. I did -a not -1. Okay I have exactly followed all your directions. There are a lot of files lsitd under the club source, but not the one I want. Am I trying to do the impossible?The club page says: XWine-0.3-1mdk RPM for i586From Mandrake Linux 9.1 and contribs / contrib / i586Name: XWine Wiould this not be found under the Xs in an alphabetical listing?