Dead computers

lewmur

I have two computers that have been sitting since Katrina hit. Both were working fine and neither had water damage. I expected the lithium batteries to be dead but would that keep the MB from starting? Neither one will turn on.

Usually not, if these batteries are still on board.Check the power source, power supply unit and its connection to the board. Also check the connection from the front panel switch.Also try to reseat the memory sticks, and maybe expansions cards, if any.

If the battery completely dead and still installed, the computer should still boot up, it just won't remember any CMOS settings and the clock will not keep time.I don't really know what else to suggest because we don't know anything about the source of the damage (ie: Was it thrown around? Did something fall on it?)All I can say is look for the obvious: loose connections, dents, blackened or severed cables, bent pins, loose things floating around the case (such as capacitors), etc.Are these cases and motherboards AT or ATX?

Edited by epp_b