Office Compatibility?

epp_b

Curious about something...Before I go and spend a bundle on MS Office 2K3, I need to know: is it possible to have FrontPage 2000 installed at the same time that Word/Excell/PowerPoint 2003 is installed?

James M. Fisher
Curious about something...Before I go and spend a bundle on MS Office 2K3, I need to know: is it possible to have FrontPage 2000 installed at the same time that Word/Excell/PowerPoint 2003 is installed?
Funny you asked this because I recently ran up against almost the same scenario. I have Office 2003 Pro, but it no longer comes with FP, as you likley know. So I installed FP2002 from my Office XP CD.Bad idea! The older Office overwrote key files of 2003 and I couldn't update or add to my Office 2003 suite; I would get error messages.I then came across this KB Article: Running Multiple Versions of Microsoft Office with Office 2003Basically, you have install the older version first, then the newer.

James M. Fisher
Well, it's good to know that they'll at least work!  Thanks a bunch :hmm:
You're welcome! I think you'll like 2003, especially Outlook (if you use it). It has finally matured into a great application, IMHO.Many still like O2K over OXP and just upgraded to Outlook 2003. Something to consider if you want to save a few $$.

Well, it's good to know that they'll at least work!  Thanks a bunch :hmm:
You're welcome! I think you'll like 2003, especially Outlook (if you use it). It has finally matured into a great application, IMHO.
I don't use outlook - it's eeeeevil :lol:
Many still like O2K over OXP and just upgraded to Outlook 2003. Something to consider if you want to save a few $$.
I'll definatly be going w/ Office 2K3 - it makes no sense to buy an office suite from M$ that's more than a year old.

James M. Fisher

I don't think you will get much 'bang for your buck' by going from O2K to 2003 if you're not using Outlook. Unless there is a particular feature in 2003 you need....?

I don't think you will get much 'bang for your buck' by going from O2K to 2003 if you're not using Outlook. Unless there is a particular feature in 2003 you need....?
Uh...yeah: the ability to get at least 3 years out of it :DOffice 2K is considered old already, Office XP could be considered, but it's always better to go with the latest versions and standards - gotta keep up! Plus, I'm a student, so I get a huge discount :whistling:I can get Word, Excell, PowerPoint, and Outlook (although I'll never use it) for $150 USD/$210ish CAD :ermm:

SonicDragon
Plus, I'm a student, so I get a huge discountI can get Word, Excell, PowerPoint, and Outlook (although I'll never use it) for $150 USD/$210ish CAD
Yea, it's not a bad deal for us students at all. There are lots of good student discounts to be found for software. www.journeyed.com has tons of titles available at student pricing. Many computer manufacterers give student discounts of their systems too. :ermm:

James M. Fisher

OK, since you're a student......That price is about right. CAN$199 @ Bestbuy right now.

Office 2K is considered old already, Office XP could be considered, but it's always better to go with the latest versions and standards - gotta keep up!
"Considered" by whom? I would agree if we were talking about Windows, but no real gains are to be had from going to Office 2003 from 2000 aside from I've already said. But if you feel the need and have the $$, by all means... :ermm:

"Considered" by whom?
By me B)
I would agree if we were talking about Windows, but no real gains are to be had from going to Office 2003 from 2000 aside from I've already said...
I disagree. An office suite also needs to be kept up-to-date. I won't be able to use Office 2K forever. I won't be able to 2K3 forever either, but longer than 2K ;)BTW, I read the Office 2K3 Pro came with FrontPage hidden. Is this true? Does anyone have O2K3 Pro that can prove it? Supposedly, it's a setup file named "SETUPFPG.EXE"

James M. Fisher
I disagree.  An office suite also needs to be kept up-to-date.  I won't be able to use Office 2K forever.  I won't be able to 2K3 forever either, but longer than 2K B)
I agree an Office Suite needs to be kept up to date. That's what Office Update is for. How do you see Office 2003 being an improved version over O2K or OXP? Newer is not always better.Many are still using Office 97 and have no desire to upgrade. It runs fine on all versions of Windows from 95 to XP.Don't get me wrong, I don't want to discourage you from buying Office, but statements like "I won't be able to use Office 2K forever" make no sense. Why can't you use it "forever"? Are you referring to MS dropping support for older software?

nlinecomputers

I find this highly amusing. Epp_b, and forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't you the Windows 98 die hard who has claimed more then once that you have to pry Windows 98 out of your cold dead hands.... B) (Or I am confusing you with someone else?) I'm surprised that you don't feel the same way about office.

I find this highly amusing.  Epp_b, and forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't you the Windows 98 die hard who has claimed more then once that you have to pry Windows 98 out of your cold dead hands....    :w00t: (Or I am confusing you with someone else?)  I'm surprised that you don't feel the same way about office.
*Cough* *hack* "aauughghghggh" *croooooak!*Yes, Nline, it's me :w00t: Believe it or not, I am planning to upgrade to XP within the next month or two (yes, really). I don't like the idea of being stuck with an out-of-date OS that won't be supported or updated (M$ *says* they'll update "critical" problems, but they've already shown that they won't).I'm also starting to notice that more and more applications are requiring newer NT-based OS's (ie.: Windows 2000 Pro SP3 and up seems to be a popular requirement). Must be the newer API's. I might as well just give up my griping and get used to it. B) On a bit of a side note, I ran an install of WinXP on a machine for someone else, and I have to admit - it went more smoothly, quickly, and easily than any Win98 install I've ever done. This was a 4 or 5 year-old machine, and Windows XP loaded *all* the drivers without any fuss (with the exception of the network card, which wasn't an obvious standard). I must say, I was pretty impressed.

I disagree.  An office suite also needs to be kept up-to-date.  I won't be able to use Office 2K forever.  I won't be able to 2K3 forever either, but longer than 2K B)
I agree an Office Suite needs to be kept up to date. That's what Office Update is for. How do you see Office 2003 being an improved version over O2K or OXP?
I don't know. I've never used it. But I figure I might as well go with the latest version.
Many are still using Office 97 and have no desire to upgrade. It runs fine on all versions of Windows from 95 to XP.Don't get me wrong, I don't want to discourage you from buying Office, but statements like "I won't be able to use Office 2K forever" make no sense. Why can't you use it "forever"? Are you referring to MS dropping support for older software?
No. I'm afraid of things like this: http://www.computing.net/office/wwwboard/f...forum/2776.html

James M. Fisher
I don't know. I've never used it. But I figure I might as well go with the latest version.
That's exactly how MS wants you to think! Office 2003 can only be installed on W2K/XP, BTW.
There are ways around that problem. But what do you care about Outlook? You think it's "evil" anyway. Word, Excel et al remain totally compatible with older versions for the most part.

An advantage of going with the new release epp_b; if your friends have it and they send you a document written with in and you have an older version of Office you won't be able to open it. Default Office XP docs aren't compatible with Office 97 for example.Yes, you can train your friends into formating their docs into a more compatible format, if you have the time and they're willing to learn, just for you cause you're special, but they will find that to be a hassle and will not always remember to do that.So long as you have no need to share docs between friends/classmates/teachers/family/etc your older version of Office will run forever.

James M. Fisher
Default Office XP docs aren't compatible with Office 97 for example.
Can you provide data on that? I know Access 2003 file format is different, but Word and Excel are unchanged AFAIK. Granted, there may be special formatting features in an Office 2003 document/spreadsheet, etc. that may not be backwards compatible, but overall there should be no insurmountable problems sharing files from older versions.

There are ways around that problem. But what do you care about Outlook? You think it's "evil" anyway.
I know it just a problem with Outlook...for now....
Word, Excel et al remain totally compatible with older versions for the most part.
Exactly - "for the most part" isn't always good enough. Read below.

An advantage of going with the new release epp_b; if your friends have it and they send you a document written with in and you have an older version of Office you won't be able to open it.  Default Office XP docs aren't compatible with Office 97 for example.Yes, you can train your friends into formating their docs into a more compatible format, if you have the time and they're willing to learn, just for you cause you're special, but they will find that to be a hassle and will not always remember to do that.So long as you have no need to share docs between friends/classmates/teachers/family/etc your older version of Office will run forever.
Actually, that's the primary reason I am going to be buying MS Office - so that I can better utilize the increasing number of the MS Office documents that customers are sending me. And as for formatting the documents to be available in the older format - no big deal, I have no problem taking an extra 1.72 seconds to select the format anyway :(

James M. Fisher
Actually, that's the primary reason I am going to be buying MS Office - so that I can better utilize the increasing number of the MS Office documents that customers are sending me.
I thought you were a student....? :(

Actually, that's the primary reason I am going to be buying MS Office - so that I can better utilize the increasing number of the MS Office documents that customers are sending me.
I thought you were a student....? :(
I am - so I can use my programs for business (and make money) and still get the mega discount :blink:

Can you provide data on that?
Director of a non-profit org creates a newletter using Word in Office 97 on a Win 98SE machine, emails it to a volunteer who edits it and tweaks it using Office XP, or 2002, on a Windows XP machine and emails it back. Director can not open the updated document. Volunteer has to be instructed to save the document in a Word 6.0 or Rich Text Format before emailing it back. Director can then open it with her Office 97 Word. Office documents are upward compatible but not downward compatible.

Can you provide data on that?
Director of a non-profit org creates a newletter using Word in Office 97 on a Win 98SE machine, emails it to a volunteer who edits it and tweaks it using Office XP, or 2002, on a Windows XP machine and emails it back. Director can not open the updated document. Volunteer has to be instructed to save the document in a Word 6.0 or Rich Text Format before emailing it back. Director can then open it with her Office 97 Word. Office documents are upward compatible but not downward compatible.
Right on the nose Edp :thumbsup: Plus, if these people are "non-technical" they may just get frustrated and end up sending eachother dozens of e-mails back and forth to eachother and other people trying to figure out why they can't open each-others' documents.Although, you can save *.doc files with different compatibiltiy levels, can't you? Isn't Office 11 kind of a milestone version? OpenOffice lists MS Office 97/2K/XP as the same level of compatibility.

BTW, does anyone know where I can find a *downloadable* trial of Office 2K3? All I can find on Microsoft's attrocious site is a CD, for which I have to pay 8 stinkin' bucks + taxes :clap: :thumbsup:

Although, you can save *.doc files with different compatibiltiy levels, can't you? Isn't Office 11 kind of a milestone version? OpenOffice lists MS Office 97/2K/XP as the same level of compatibility.
I don't have Office XP but Office 2K provides Save As formats for: Word 2.x for Windows Word 4.0 for Mac Word 5.0 for Mac Word 5.1 for Mac Word 6.0/95 Word 97 & 6.0/95 Thai Converter (*.rtf) Word 97 & 6.0/95 Vietnamese Converter (*.rtf) Word 97-2000 & 6.0/95 - RTF (*.doc) Word for Windows generic plus many other formats. I have no idea if Office 11 is a milestone.

James M. Fisher
Director of a non-profit org creates a newletter using Word in Office 97 on a Win 98SE machine, emails it to a volunteer who edits it and tweaks it using Office XP, or 2002, on a Windows XP machine and emails it back.  Director can not open the updated document.  Volunteer has to be instructed to save the document in a Word 6.0 or Rich Text Format before emailing it back. Director can then open it with her Office 97 Word.  Office documents are upward compatible but not downward compatible.
So a newsletter might contain formatting peculiar to Word 2003 that is not recognizable in Word 97, I understand that and mentioned that scenario in an earlier post. I thought you were saying plain vanilla .DOCS and .XLS files created in O2003 could not be opened in earlier versions of Office, which is not true, AFAIK.The OS has noting to do with it aside from the fact Office 2003 will not install on Windows 9x/Me. Office XP will, however.Is this an actual scenario? I was looking for a KB article or something more authoritative.

James M. Fisher
BTW, does anyone know where I can find a *downloadable* trial of Office 2K3?  All I can find on Microsoft's attrocious site is a CD, for which I have to pay 8 stinkin' bucks + taxes :clap:  :thumbsup:
You kill me! :clap: Why pay mega-$$ to MS if you consider their site "attrocious", Outlook "evil" and $8 too much for shipping and handling? Can you not write off the $8 as a business expense? :clap:

James M. Fisher
I have no idea if Office 11 is a milestone.
According to MS, every version of Office is a milestone! Or is that a millstone? :lol:

Send me your addy in PM and I'll mail you a trial copy...
Well I can't yet - don't have XP yet. :url: But I'll keep that in mind - thanks!! :lol: