Favorite Software Games

Prelude76

ok, i know we dont have a gaming forum section(hint hint, WINK WINK, nudge nudge Scot) but instead of flooding the Hall of Shame and Hall of Fame threads with games, i decided to start a new topic. i'm pretty sure you all dont just sit around and tweak ZoneAlarm or send emails or make websites or pictures. i'm willing to bet there's a lot of gamers that love to shoot their guns off or soar thru the air after a hard day troubleshooting a network problem at work. :DWhat game blew you away and you absolutely love? on flipside, is there any that you feel you wasted hard earned money on and should be avoided by all others? let's get this thread going, people. who knows, we might get our own section. :) I'll start. i'm trying to narrow it down to categories.my fave racing game: Mobil1 Rallymy fave flight sim: Combat Flight Sim 3my fave strategy: Call to Power II & Rollercoaster Tycoonmy fave FPS: No One Lives Forever & Wolfensteinmy fave RTS: Warcraft III & C&C:Generalsmy fave adventure: Longest Journey my fave classics: Transport Tycoon & Star Control IIImy fave online multiplayer game: can someone recommend one? i want to get into it but never have yet.and as for waste of money games: (shameware)Revolution - kinda hard to enjoy since level 2 is unpassable due to a major bug in the game. that, and you are a janitor that walks around some corporation and the plot of the game isnt even told to you. you have to guess what to do. The Sims - love it or hate it game. i personally hate it. if i wanted to sleep, work out, eat, pay bills, pee, walk the dog, i could just shut off the computer and DO IT. :) Ski Tycoon, Trailer Park Tycoon, Mall Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon, Golf Resort Tycoon - ok, original tycoon games (Transport, Railroad, Rollercoaster) are amazing. every other new game that uses name of Tycoon, well, the titles speak for themselves. ;)

Quick add to the lists :)Fav: Unreal Tournament and Quake III Depending on the mod, I could play either of them all day! :D Love them both!Shame: Unreal Tournament 2003... What a waste! Gameplay is aweful!!! doesn't even play well on new machines! Wish I never would have dropped $50 on it!

Guest ThunderRiver

my fave FPS: Mafia: The Lost Heaven, Grand Theft Auto III and Vice Citymy fave RTS: Warcraft III and Fronzen Thronemy fave adventure: ..not sure.my fave classics: Yatzee!my fave online multiplayer game: tic tac toe on MSN Messenger 6

SonicDragon

Favorite action/shoot 'em up: Any of the Syphon Filter Series (PS2). Favorite fighting game: Tekken 4 (PS2)Favorite classic: Chess or Othello, but i'm not very good at either of them. I also love snake, but that can get boring.Favorite fantacy game: Guantlet Legends (PS2), but i'm dissapointed with the new one. It's almost the same thing. It even has some the same levels!And then there is always Dance Dance Revolution!

Syberia (I believe a sequel was announced at E3), Rise of Nations, Dungeon Siege, Warcraft III, Age of Mythology, Diablo 2, Harbinger (I didn't put them in categories because there's too much overlap these days).

Adventure: Syberia. I am hoping there is a sequel to this and that is is just as good.Second place: The longest journey.
a game better than Longest Journey? I'm gonna have to keep my eye out for this game. when did it come out? what's it about?

Gus K, thanks for reminding me. how can I forget Battlefield 1942? i guess this game fits into the overlap category scott88008 mentioned :rolleyes: (FPS, Flight Sim, Tank Sim, Naval Sim, strategy all in one :blink: )but i forgot one that has me so hooked i play it daily. how it slipped my mind, i have no clue! NEVERWINTER NIGHTS! and the expansion is coming any day now. ;) :D

Adventure: Syberia. I am hoping there is a sequel to this and that it is just as good.Second place: The longest journey.
a game better than Longest Journey? I'm gonna have to keep my eye out for this game. when did it come out? what's it about?
Syberia has fewer puzzles and scenes than Longest Journey. But the graphics were better in Syberia and the story was a lot more fun. I also think the puzzles in Syberia are slightly less obscure than those in LJ. Did you really find the paint shaker without cheating?I checked Amazon: Longest Journey seems to be better received than Syberia. Most reviews for Syberia think that the puzzles are too easy.I liked both games, however. Neither really felt like the closed systems that they have to be to be solvable. The reason I liked Syberia better is that I was sorry it was over at the end.I think Syberia is 1 1/2 - 2 years old.

I also think the puzzles in Syberia are slightly less obscure than those in LJ. Did you really find the paint shaker without cheating?
actually, i did :rolleyes: but i knew what paint shakers look like. if you didnt know, it really would be hard :blink: i didnt resort to cheating until i got into the sorcerors chamber on flying castle and had to make some potion. i totally forgot i had a crow buddy.but i thoroughly enjoyed the story in longest journey. it felt like a Space Quest style game with much much better graphics.time to look for syberia.

Star Trek Voyager: Elite ForcesAnd, on June 24, Star Trek: Elite Forces II comes out. I can't wait. I saw some in-game trailers this week and the game looks amazing. It looks like you're in an actual Trek episode.Back in the day, I couldn't get enough of Falcon 3.0, a combat flight sim that was as close to amazing as you can get for a DOS 5.0 game. In the era pre accelerated video cards the frame rates were actually quite good!

Peachy is a trekie! who would've thought. :) about Falcon 3.0, i remember that one. it was amazing, except for missions where you had to blow up vehicles. they looked like tiny dots and i always missed them in free fall bomb mode.i never got too hooked on it though. JetFighter II and III, now that was a kicker. especillay III where you can fly thru narrow canyons and around mountain peeks. and when you see a white streaming line of a missile swerving (spell?) thru the blue sky, it sent goose bumps thru me. wicked rush. i havent seen a better jet fighter sim than that one. for WWII era flight sim, I loved the classics Aces over Europe and Aces of Pacific.

Guest Loque

About the only game I play now is Unreal Tournament, the original one. I'm hopelessly addicted to it and play every day. I must be in a rut, I never seem to tire of it, course adding a few new maps every once in a while helps.... ;)

allgoodthings

Fame: Descent series, Freespace 2, Half-Life, 4x4 Off-Road Adventure 2, Fallout 1 & 2, Unreal I, Enclave, Elite Force I, Aliens vs Predator 1 & 2, Shattered Steel, Drakan, Duke Nukem 3D, IronStorm, Max Payne, MDK 1 & 2, Mech Commander, Diablo 2, Moto Racer 1 & 2. No One Lives Forever 1 & 2, Red Faction, Resident Evil 1-3, Rune, Serious Sam 1 & 2, Sin, Soldier of Fortune 1 & 2, Snowmobile Racing 2000, Starship Troopers, Terminator Future Shock & Skynet, Tomb Raider series, Zax.Shame: Vietnam 2, MagRacer, 007 Nightfire, Moto Racer 3, and probably a tons of others. PC Gamer usually hits the head on the nail! Although I did like Gore....PaT.

Serious Sam 2 sure looks great, runs great on my rig, I've always wondered why more companies don't use the engine. No real net code though, so on-line play tends to be awfull.

Guest LilBambi

I apologise for the older titles ... but I am hardware impaired LOL!Action/Adventure/Shoot 'em UpsCosmo's Cosmic AdventureDukeNukem 3DQuake---Puzzles/Quest7th Guest (favorite of the two)11th Hour---Simple TimewastersKyodai MahjonngJezzBallFreeCellHardwood Solitaire

I apologise for the older titles ... but I am hardware impaired LOL!Puzzles/Quest7th Guest (favorite of the two)11th Hour
no worries about older titles. they rock! i still love and play Warlords II and Star Control III, both DOS games.so you like puzzle games? have you played Myst and Riven as well? I bought the deluxe collectors edition that had both games. simply amazing and good puzzles to solve.Hardwood Solitaire! rock on, bambi! i thought i was the only one who played it. i dont think theres ever been a more beautiful solitaire game made. ;)

anyone played the two new Microsoft Studio games? Freelancer and Rise of Nations? I have demo of rise of nations and D*** makes me itch to get it once price drops a bit or if i save up more. but a friend of my brother plays freelancer all the time. it's some han-solo space mercenary game, and so many folks are addicted to it. he even skipped a day of work to play thru one part of it and he goes for hours and hours every day! is it that good and addictive? i'm actually scared to play it as i might lose too much precious sleep time as i did with that ****** Neverwinter Nights. ;) and now Neverwinter Nights has an addon pack and i want to avoid til AFTER the summer so i can enjoy the warm days outside. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

My time is currently split between 2 different gamesDay of Defeat -- I have been playing with an online clan for about 2 years now. I love using the shovel on some unsuspecting victim!!Midtown Madness V2 -- Love driving through the streets! Still waiting for V3 for the PC

My girls (ages, 4 and 5) love The Sims (with Hot Date and Vacation). They play with it everyday for many months now. They enjoy building and decorating the houses, especially.Sometimes I play Deep Fritz (a chess game) and CounterStrike. They're enjoyable but can be boring after 20 minutes or so.

• 3 months later...
Syberia II pushed to 2004 Microids sacrifices PC release date; opts for simultaneous, multiplatform release.Canadian publisher Microids said today that the sequel to its critically acclaimed adventure game Syberia will not make the anticipated October 2003 release date.The company says it is delaying the PC title to allow for a simultaneous, multiplatform release that will include Xbox and PS2 versions as well.Microids says it will use the additional time in the studio to polish and fine-tune gameplay elements in the game's PC version.
This is too bad. I was really looking forward to the sequel.562371_20030806_screen001.jpg

Guest ThunderRiver

Shooting Games:Halo PC Game Combat EvolvedMax Payne 2Hidden and Dangerous 2Call of Duty (mm can't wait for it)Other games:Enter the Matrix (not the best, but the 1 hour worth of movie clips..)..lastlyBejewled

I just got Beneath a Steel Sky in Linux Format magazine. I haven't tried it yet, but was wondering if anyone had played it before. Is it any good?

Guest LilBambi
no worries about older titles.  they rock!  i still love and play Warlords II and Star Control III, both DOS games.so you like puzzle games?  have you played Myst and Riven as well?  I bought the deluxe collectors edition that had both games.  simply amazing and good puzzles to solve.Hardwood Solitaire!  rock on, bambi!  i thought i was the only one who played it.  i dont think theres ever been a more beautiful solitaire game made.  :lol:
Prelude,Sorry for the late response! Missed this one!Yes, Myst and Riven are awesome! Haven't played them in a while but they absorbed my attention to the exclusion of just about everything when I was playing them! LOL! :D And I agree totally about Hardwood Solitaire! ;) Some of these great old games are why I have kept my Win98SE around ... soon will have to give up on using it on the Internet though (January 2003 deathknell coming sooner than I like! :wacko: )

A real good game, if you loved the old 'Pirates!' game from the 386 era, is "Port Royale", or "Pirate Hunter". Both are from same german company, and its pretty much like "Pirates!" only much improved graphics, complete with 3D naval combat. Port Royale is a lot more involved strategy wise, and you can build up fleets and hire out more captains, while Pire Hunter is more single-ship focused. And Port Royale 2 is in the works. arrrr! good news if you're a pirate fan. :pirate: