Ximian Evolution... 1.4.4 !

quint

Hi all,Just a short post for anyone wishing to install / update Evolution; they have an install process at the Ximian site that makes the process quick, easy, painless...and will even let you know if your version is supported! You can check it out here:Ximian EvolutionGood fortune. :)edit: the installer program will take care of uninstalling the current version, as well as telling you if you have any other conflicts...it keeps your current data (as far as I can tell), but you will need to re-enter your password/passwords for your accounts - probably for the better. :)

Brilliant Quint !Easy as pie, what an installer . . . wish that everything was this easy.Let me post the instructions:

InstructionsOur automatic download and install is the easiest way to get Ximian Evolution. There is nothing to download first, just follow the instructions below. 1. Open a terminal window. 2. Using the su command, become superuser (root). 3. Type the following command or cut and paste it into your terminal:      wget -q -O - http://go.ximian.com |sh      Note that the | character above is the "pipe" symbol, obtained by pressing SHIFT-\ on most keyboards.This will automatically download and run the Ximian Installer, which will allow you to choose the software you wish to install. Once you make your selections, the packages will be fetched from the Internet and installed automatically.
And follow the instructions in your console.As for the installer: You do not need a password, nor giving your email address, at the screen for ¨install method¨ choose ¨mirror site¨ not the ¨red carpet¨, the next screen just say that you don´t want to register . . . rest is smooth and automatically.Brilliant ! Starts up much faster too !:) Bruno

Hi Bruno, I found something that I'm not fond of with version 1.4: can't be used with Slackware or Vector Linux. :) Not actually a problem...more a slight inconvenience. :)

QuintI´m sure the next version of Vector SOHO will have the new version of evolution too . . . give them time, the boys at Ximian are working hard . . . :):) Bruno

QuintI´m sure the next version of Vector SOHO will have the new version of evolution too . . . give them time, the boys at Ximian are working hard . . . ;):) Bruno
Agreed, as good as this version is, I'm too pleased, to be really disappointed. :)

InstructionsOur automatic download and install is the easiest way to get Ximian Evolution. There is nothing to download first, just follow the instructions below.  1. Open a terminal window.  2. Using the su command, become superuser (root).  3. Type the following command or cut and paste it into your terminal:      wget -q -O - http://go.ximian.com |sh      Note that the | character above is the "pipe" symbol, obtained by pressing SHIFT-\ on most keyboards.This will automatically download and run the Ximian Installer, which will allow you to choose the software you wish to install. Once you make your selections, the packages will be fetched from the Internet and installed automatically.
That only works for rpm based linux - that doesn't work for Debian... I have not been able to get evolution installed on Debian

KellyEvolution is in the apt-get packages for Debian . . . not then new version but the one we´ve all been using up till now.:) Bruno

apt-get install evolution = error - broken package whenever I try that, tried it a while back also. I keep apt-get up to date also

Bruno-Thanks for clarifying using a mirror site and not red carpet. Using red carpet I kept getting a network error..........Once I switched to mirror site all was well.And yes, that sure was a easy update. :D

Hi Rons I knew where the pit-falls were . . :D you´re welcome ! Actualy the Red Carpet is a very handy tool Rons, you just have to download extra software to use it . . . . . I will write a Tip about it the next week or so, for the moment you´re fully up-to-date so it´s not that urgent. :D B) Bruno

• 1 month later...

NEW !! There is a new version Evolution : 1.4.4 available through The Red Carpet !!Several other packages like gnome-spell, gthtml, libgal, libgtk and libsoup are there for updating too . . . Get it ! Red-Carpet has only ¨stable¨ versions . . ( however there was a little bug in the last one :rolleyes: )If you have not got The Red Carpet yet : Ximian Red Carpet:D Bruno

There is a new version Evolution : 1.4.4 available through The Red Carpet !!Several other packages like gnome-spell, gthtml, libgal, libgtk and libsoup are there for updating too . . .
Updated RH9 to 1.4.4 via Red Carpet. No problems. Kept previous settings during upgrade. Have been using it for a few days as my Linux email. Have switched all my linux specific email (including this forum) to the new email id I set up. This makes sure I have regular traffic and reasons to use the package.Seems fairly stable. I have had one crash. Might have been caused by aggressive use of wheel mouse. Problem could not be reproduced.

I agree, Owyn. I've been using 1.4.4 since d/l'ing XD2 and it's a lot more stable for me than the last version (which is still on my desktop machine and seems to hang every time I close it). All my settings and mail were kept, and I find it a great replacement for Outlook, with most of the same functions.