Ruh-Roh! No Display This Morning

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, when I went to bed last night, my system was fine. When I pushed the on button this AM I got a big surprise... no display. :( What the heck is going on here? OK.I could hear the drives going through their initiation. Once that finished, I knew I was at a command line in Slackware even though I couldn't see it. I entered my username/password and shut the system down. I then disconnected my DVI cable from my PCI-e vid card and connected the old VGA cable from my onboard graphics. I had a display now. Hmm... vid card take poop?No. It wasn't that simple. After tinkering, cussing, wiggling, etc. I found that if I pressed the card into the PCI-e slot with a bit more force, the video display worked. If I slid the tower back into its usual position. The display was gone again. Arrrrrrrrrgh! Obviously a bad connection in the PCI-e socket for some reason... cat hair, dust, etc.I took the unit outside to the shop (always a sign of something serious) and completely removed the mobo from the tower case. I cleaned it very thoroughly and then tested again. The video was still intermittent. I inspected the socket more closely (magnifier light) and determined that the contacts were dirty. I emery clothed them. That ain't as easy as it sound. I washed them with contact cleaner and blew them off with compressed air.I just now got it all reassembled and back on the desk in my front room. It seems to be happy again. When I come in here to start it up tomorrow morning, that will be the test, for sure.Man! I sure don't have patience for this carp anymore. I guess I just want things to WORK now that I'm into my dotage. ;)Off I go...Oh, screenshot? What the hey? Why not?GTS-450_fps-shot.png

Guest LilBambi

Gotta love hardware! NOT! :( B) :hysterical: Glad you got it fixed (or at least we hope so -- as you say, tomorrow morning will tell the tale, but it sounds like you got it). :thumbup:

It's a good thing, too... cuz I was getting into the dancing mood toward the end of that project. :)
Uh oh... I remember what happened the last time you got in a dancing mood! icon_eek.gif