That 'ol sound board ain't singing!

onederer

Never seen anything like it! I get: ERROR, Sound Server fatal error. CPU overload, aborting.My setup: DVD=scd0 NEC DVD+RW ND1100ACD=hdd HL-DT-ST GCE-8481BThe DVD drive is a combo-burner and also can run and burn CD/R/RW, and the CD drive is also a burner.Sound Card=SBLive! snd-Emu10k1x. The "snd-Emu10k1x" is the default driver assigned by Mandrake 9.1 to the sound card. So I would gather that this sound card is supported by Mandrake. If I use 'setup' like I've done in the past, for other SB soundcard models, this time it can't setup this card. There is no test to see if the card will actually put out a sound, and what the interrupts and DMA's are. Definitely not what I am usually used to.If I use the Mandrake Control Center 9.1, and I select the sound card, then I click to Configure Module, the strange thing starts to happen. About 30 seconds after I did that, the variable fan on the Dell computer starts to ramp up to it's full noisy speed to keep the CPU cool. If I watch it with the system monitoring graphs, I see the graph going beyond the 100% capacity of the CPU. Now, this cpu is a 3.03GHz, hyperthreading chip, and it can't keep up with whatever is happening. I don't know the root cause of this problem, but I do know that I can't use the sound card as it stands now. It just won't work. Also, the software to handle the drives coundn't even recognize a commercial JIM NABORS music CD, and couldn't make an attempt to play it. So, thus far, the computer may not be deaf, but it sure is dumb at the moment. You all have been good in the past in helping me solve other problems. Can you do the same with this one? This is a good one, especially if one of you has a Dell computer, with a similar setup. In-as-much as I love Mandrake, this problem may make me start looking at a different distro that can handle this problem. B)

Hi onedererCall again if the link Quint provided you does not give any result. There has to be a sulution to this problem !:D Bruno

Greetings All! Well, I went to check on that link, and I guess for this particular Sound Card, a lot of support is still not present for it. It was bad enough to find out that DELL sent me a combo DVD/CD burner drive, that can't properly display commercial DVD movies (in WindowsXP, it won't work in LINUX), and now I find that I have this sound card that is not yet supported by Linux. Not being able to view a rented DVD movie is like walking with a leg cut up to the knee. Now, with the lack of sound, it is more like having a leg missing up to the hip! I've always wished that I could finally have a fully functional Linux. It hasn't happened yet. Always something missing, or not working. The only thing that the current sound drivers can do now, is to drive the CPU hyperthreading chip, beyond the 100% overload mark! I am not a programmer, so there is not much I can do about it. :D However, if anyone of you would know why the DVD burner drive cannot display the full DVD movie, perhaps at least this problem could be eliminated. I might just as well throw away the new sound card, and replace it with something that will work with both OS's.Thank you.

Greetings All! Well, I went to check on that link, and I guess for this particular Sound Card, a lot of support is still not present for it.  It was bad enough to find out that DELL sent me a combo DVD/CD burner drive, that can't properly display commercial DVD movies (in WindowsXP, it won't work in LINUX), and now I find that I have this sound card that is not yet supported by Linux.  Not being able to view a rented DVD movie is like walking with a leg cut up to the knee.  Now, with the lack of sound, it is more like having a leg missing up to the hip!  I've always wished that I could finally have a fully functional Linux.  It hasn't happened yet.  Always something missing, or not working.  The only thing that the current sound drivers can do now, is to drive the CPU hyperthreading chip, beyond the 100% overload mark!  I am not a programmer, so there is not much I can do about it. :D However, if anyone of you would know why the DVD burner drive cannot display the full DVD movie, perhaps at least this problem could be eliminated.  I might just as well throw away the new sound card, and replace it with something that will work with both OS's.Thank you.
Onederer,Sorry about your problems :D , but try installing the Linux package: Ogle. Never have I seen an easier way to run a DVD! It may not be the most feature-rich program, but it's practically configure-free. :D But, then again, I don't have the newer hardware that you do, and all I have is on-board sound...no pci sound card. :D Anyway, I sure hope you get it straightened out; I'm sure the more knowledgeable people here can help. :D