RH9 Newbie Help.

Borst

I posted previously in another thread. Agent007 gave me some good tips (thanks B) ). I do, however, have a few questions. Specifics about my PC: RH9 dual boot w/Win98SE, ethernet, internet connection through ext. modem (accessed through router/gateway)1. Agent007 showed me how to disable services (Sendmail) that I don't need. I wrote down the services that are running. Are there any that are not needed? anacron, apmd, atd, autofs, canna, crond, cups, gpm, iptables, isdn, keytables, kudzu, netfs, network, nfslock, pcmcia, portmap, random, rawdevices, rhnsd, sgi_fam, sshd, syslog, xfs, xinetd. Is pcmcia needed? I thought that this was for laptops? This is a PC and not a laptop. 2. I opened the terminal while logged as root and typed 'redhat-config-soundcard'. It searched for a soundcard but did not find one. I have a PCI soundcard installed (it works in Win98). It is a Phillips Acoustic Edge sounbdcard. How do I make RH find it?TIABorst

Guest LilBambi

Glad Agent007 got you going on taking a hard look at services. Very important.RE: The ones you listed: anacron, apmd, atd, autofs, canna, crond, cups, gpm, iptables, isdn, keytables, kudzu, netfs, network, nfslock, pcmcia, portmap, random, rasdevices, rhnsd, sgi_fam, sshd, syslog, xfs, xinetdSome thoughts on some of these:On a normal PC, you will not need: pcmciaThe ones to take a hard look at in your particular situation are:nfslock, portmap, xinetd, sshd, atd, and probably rasdeviceshmmm. you show portmap and nfslock but no nfs, interesting.portmap is needed for client side only for network sharesnfslock and nfs are generally needed to be a server for network sharessshd is for being an server for ssh secure client loginsxinetd is kinda like an internet superserver for autostarting servicesyou can run things like sshd, httpd, ftpd on demand as daemons, you don't necessarily want or need to have the xinetd superserver running.These particular services you will want to decide whether you want them on or not.Just like in Windows, any Internet server services can be used as an open door by hackers to take over your system.In addition, you may wish to turn off atd unless you intend to specifically use it.But only you can decide what you really want on or off ... I would strongly suggest you read the man files and/or do a google search on the specific services listed to see what you really want to have turned on.Other than the things I mentioned specifically, you probably wouldn't want to probably consider messing with too many others.To read man files on your computer, at a gui terminal window or normal command line; type:man servicenamei.e., man httpdQuick navigation of man files:q - quitpage up and down - to go up and down by the pagespace - to go down one pageHope this helps some. Others may have more to add.

Thanks Bambi! I have killed pcmcia and sshd. In checking out some the services, I found out that apmd is used to monitor battery power and shut down the system if the battery drains too low. Since RH is not on a laptop, I plan on killing this one also. Using man, I found out that Canna is the Canna-Japanese Conversion Engine. I have no clue what that is, if it is important or if I need it. Any thoughts?