New phone -- Galaxy Note 8

securitybreach

securitybreach

So Friday I went by Tmobile and upgraded my LG G6 to the new Samsung Note 8

6.3 Inch Super AMOLED screen 1440x2960 (521 ppi)

8 Core Qualcomm MSM8998 Snapdragon 835 processor

6gb ram

64gb internal with a 200gb sdcard

Dual 12 MP cameras/8 mp front cameras

Bluetooth 5.0

USB-C Connector

http://www.gsmarena...._note8-8505.php

1Zsz4Fv.jpg 2GI2khA.jpg 9S9DgZN.jpg GVivvD3.jpg baXyg9G.jpg

I switched the launcher to Nova Prime and replaced all the defaults with Google instead of Samsung apps. The above shots do not do it justice as I had to use an old camera. The screen is one of the best screens I have ever seen on a phone and I have owned a lot of phones over the years.

• Like 1

Note 8 looks pretty good but I would have waited for Pixel 2. It doesn't have lots of custom apps like most makers cram in on top of the Google apps, just pure Android.

I currently have Pixel and will not be changing to Pixel 2 as current one does everything I need and almost nothing annoys me about it (apart from things that annoy me about every phone). Battery life is amazing, screen is excellent, GPS is the best I've seen (important for Ingress ;) ). I like how it gets Android updates as soon as they come out, I've been on Oreo for weeks now.

I know how you suffer from acute SNS syndrome Josh. :) For me, current plan is to stick with Pixel until it doesn't work any more.

securitybreach

Well I was a long time Nexus user until the Pixel line when they doubled the price. After that, I was buying them unlocked from swappa or getting them through the carriers as I did not have $400+ to spend. Then I ended up on a plan from tmobile where I could switch my phone out for free up to 3 times a year. This plan was that you were basically making a $20 payment a month towards the device but if you wanted to switch, whatever you paid goes towards the new device. Since then, I have treated it as a service versus paying off a device and have switched out phones whenever a new better phone came out. A few months ago, they announced that now you could change your phone out once a month if you wanted. The Note 8 was coming out with the highest specs of any device on the market so I went and got it on day 1.

I would not of gotten a samsung device if I did not know how to replace all the defaults. After an hour of having the device, I switched the launcher from touchwhiz to nova prime and changed all the samsung defaults (sms, browser, launcher,etc.) to native android apps. Everything is completely functional including the S-Pen actions using a custom setup. I bought the device for the specs, not the "Samsung Experience." And this was all done without having to root the phone.

... I have treated it as a service versus paying off a device and have switched out phones whenever a new better phone came out. A few months ago, they announced that now you could change your phone out once a month if you wanted.

Another case where marketing beats practicality. I reckon it's about 2 years between noticeable improvements in flagship phones and is how often I change phones. What do they do with the replaced ones? Hopefully not landfill like so many other old but still good appliances.

I would not of gotten a samsung device if I did not know how to replace all the defaults. After an hour of having the device, I switched the launcher from touchwhiz to nova prime and changed all the samsung defaults (sms, browser, launcher,etc.) to native android apps...

sed s/of/have/

I'm satisfied with the default Android interface on my Pixel and haven't customised anything in the year I've had it. Haven't found any third party stuff that has seemed enough of an improvement to bother with. Granted they may suit some people better for more niche use cases.

securitybreach

Well I think they sale them as refurbs. As far as noticeable improvements, my last phone came out in May and it came with a six core CPU/4gb of ram so this one is a big improvement over the last one.

As far as third party stuff, Nova Launcher is quite a bit better than the default Google launcher. It provides everything the default launcher has but with a ton more options.