Tablets/eReaders

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Not sure where to put this cross post from my Cabin In the Woods, but Mobility seems a likely choice...

---

Well, trying to read this 10lb tome on Lovecraft that I borrowed from the library the other day is just killing me. I have to prop it up on a pillow to read it in bed and even then it's a chore. Made me thing of an eReader the other night. Hmmmm...

I came into a couple spare $ doing some local computer work for friends/acquaintances recently. I should probably utilize that $ for something more constructive, like paying down some debts. However, it is Christmas and all that; and if you can't buy yourself a nice little gift occasionally, what the heck is the season for, anyway? Heh! ;)

So, I ordered me one of these babies tonight on eBay. It's a manufacturer refurb with all accessories and the full manufacturer warranty.

Barnes and Noble NOOK Color BNRV200 Tablet Computer (PC World review and specs HERE)

Similar in appearance to this one...

81eeRrn.jpg

I only paid $44.95 total... no tax and free "expedited" shipping (expected 1 Dec - 4 Dec).

Not bad, huh?

Eric moves into the new millennium. I just got through chastising one of my G+ acquaintances for using an eReader. What a hypocrite I am sometimes. ;)

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

Hello,

I have had several generations of B&N Nook devices, including one of these. Top-notch build quality and great screens. This model also as a MicroSDXC slot for expansion, which it can also boot from to run a different version of Android. You should have a lot of fun with it.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Thanks, Aryeh. I read a lot of stuff about eReaders and tablets before I decided to buy this one. It looked like a nice value for the dollar. I have quite a few SD cards lying around (from my camera and an older mp3 player). I'll make use of them, for sure. :)

Don't confuse sd cards with micro sd cards.

Our netbooks and cameras use sd cards but my tablet uses a much tinier micro sd card.

I keep a 32GB micro card permanently in my tablet with movies on it. I use VLC to watch them. Great when I need to wait and there is no free wifi. Of course, you will read.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I have a USB multi-card reader that I can use to manipulate files on assorted cards and my main computer's hard driives, so getting stuff onto the tablet won't be a problem. I've also had a couple folks suggest using an app called Calibre and run a server from my DropBox site. Cool ideas! :)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

---

Oh, and I've started playing around with a really cool little application to store and manage eBooks and such. It's called Calibre, and was recommended to me by +Jennifer Doering and +Eric Hameleers on G+ the other night. It's very spiffy! Here's what mine looked like when I first started setting it up (it looks even better after playing with it for two+ hours. ;)

PadGNTM.png

I have the Glo -Light e-reader version and it is great the battery lasts for weeks and the glo light came in handy last night as we had a ten hour power cut. Calibre is the neatest e-book reader software and you can do conversions and all sorts of clever stuff with it.

Here are a few sites that may be of interest,

http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/24662/how-to-fix-the-infamous-nook-color-nook-tablet-charging-usb-cable-for-good

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/02/howto-root-a-nook-color-to-transform-it-into-an-android-tablet/2/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1030227

Looks like you can root the thing by putting the rom on the sd card aswell as rooting the Nook itself which could be useful.

Bet you have a load of fun with it. :clap:

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Heck, before I root and rummage and remodel, I just want to try reading a book with the silly thing. ;)

Thanks for the linkies, Erik! :)

Guest LilBambi

I have gotten quite a few great books from Gutenberg and Librivox.

I love my nook (courtesy of securitybreach -- thanks Josh!) ... not one of the color nooks but a quite nice classic nook.

With aging eyes, digital readers are awesome because you can adjust the font size to accommodate.

V.T. Eric Layton

Got it! It's beautiful. It was shipped to me direct from the manufacturer's refurbishing facility. It's spotless; not a mark on. It's charging right now. I was a good boy and followed the directions to fully charge it before attempting to use it. It only takes three hours for a complete charge. I'll be playing around with it a bit later. You can bet on that. :)

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

OH, BOY!

Well, all seems OK. I registered with B&N, got some free books from them, loaded some of my own using Calibre (very COOL that). I set all my preferences and baloney. I'm going to re-read Lovecraft's The Dunwich Horror tonight, I think.

FUN! I think I'm going to like this little newfangled device.

The big test later this week sometime is to "borrow" an eBook from my local library. That's going to be interesting. :clap:

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

I really enjoyed reading with this thing last night. I have my font set to 14pt Trebuchet MS with a sepia background; almost looks like an old paperback page. It's very comfortable to read with it. I tried with the lights on and off, but with them off I get drowsy too fast. ;)

This thing integrates seamlessly with Calibre. That is so cool! It does everything I need it to do even with the limited B&N interface. If I took 5 minutes to root the thing... or virtural root by booting via microSD, I could have a full-fledged Android tablet. For the moment, though, it's fine as is.

I've got 32G (2X16) microSDs coming from eBay. I got them for $10.95 w/ free shipping; brand new unopened Sandisks. Gotta' love eBay. :)

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Actually, Aryeh... I think you sent me that little USB card reader. ;)

Hey, Aryeh... the little Microsoft USB card reader worked like a champ with these little microSD cards that I just got. Thanks! :)

Guest LilBambi

I am listening to the Audible book: The Auschwitz Escape by Joel Rosenberg

The Auschwitz Escape

A terrible darkness has fallen upon Jacob Weisz’s beloved Germany. The Nazi regime, under the leadership of Adolf Hitler, has surged to power and now holds Germany by the throat. All non-Aryans - especially Jews like Jacob and his family - are treated like dogs. When tragedy strikes during one terrible night of violence, Jacob flees and joins rebel forces working to undermine the regime. But after a raid goes horribly wrong, Jacob finds himself in a living nightmare - trapped in a crowded, stinking car on the train to the Auschwitz death camp.

Read more

Guest LilBambi

How do I use calibre with my Android phone/tablet or Kindle Fire HD?

It does take some hoops to go through, but looks like it is possible on the Kindle Fire HD -- not sure about regular Kindles or even the regular Kindle Fire. Seems the Kindle Fire HD is different maybe? Or maybe Kindle Fire can also work. No idea. I have a Kindle Fire that I got as an early Christmas gift from my sister and brother in law but I haven't had time to do anything with that. I haven't even begun to exhaust what is available on these devices if you have Amazon Prime as yet!