Jump to content


Replaced Manjaro with Siduction LXQT


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mhbell

mhbell

    Posting Prodigy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:56 PM

I just can't get into or like Manjaro or Arch. I tried the latest Manjaro and did not like it at all. I replaced it with Siduction LXQT. It is fast and with the Installer that Siduction is using very easy to install. So far it is working flawless for me and I have all of the updates installed so far. Mint and Debian are my main distros on my production computers.
Mel
Registered Linux User #239772
Mint 18.1 Cinnimon, MX-16, Siduction LXQT, Debian Stretch, and Other Linux Distro's
https://pctechman.wordpress.com/

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

    CLI Phreak

  • Forum Admins
  • 24,214 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:01 AM

Well Manjaro is a horrible example of Archlinux. Besides pacman, they share very little with each other. Think of Manjaro as Ubuntu in terms of actual relation to Debian.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

    Discussion Deity

  • Forum MVP
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:53 AM

I tried Manjaro and the Xfce version is very polished. I didn't like the forum though - folks there were pretty arrogant. I figured I may as well go ahead and install Arch. Arch is remarkably stable after you get it installed and you can learn a lot by the installation process.
I just wish I had a better piece of hardware to install it on. It's an old netbook with low memory and an Atom processor. Arch itself runs fine but any modern browser is S-L-O-W.
Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

    Thread Kahuna

  • Forum Moderators
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:37 PM

I still think siduction is remarkable. The installer is quick and painless, updates are reliable as long as you read the warnings in the forum, and the forum is low traffic and helpful.
Last week I had to do my first backup restore for years, only because of a mismatched pulseaudio update which didn't even affect audio. :) A subsequent update fixed it.
I installed Stretch with a view to possibly switching over so I'd get less updates but still haven't switched. There are just a couple of applications I'd miss which are not available in Stretch.
The latest Plasma 5.13 came in last week also which is so smooth and well-behaved. Haven't tried the LXQT version for a while though.
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#5 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

    Multithreader

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:18 AM

I had a short-lived run with siduction several years ago. My preference now is to run Debian Stable, Arch, and maybe either Kubuntu or Lubuntu (in fact, at this time I'm running Stable, Arch, and Kubuntu LTS). The idea of running siduction instead of Arch is intriguing, but I enjoy Arch too much to do that right now.

Out of curiosity, I took a look at this page: https://manual.siduc...g/sys-admin-apt

Excellent info there! I'd certainly study that page closely if I were to decide to try siduction again. I was wondering about the default sources, and I see that siduction (by default) uses its own repos rather than sid sources directly.

Interesting setup in sources.list.d.

This part reminds me of my general routine with Arch:

Quote

You should always check Current Warnings on the siduction main web site, and check the warnings against the packages that your system wants to dist-upgrade.

And:

Quote

dist-upgrade as routinely as you can, ideally once every week or two, at least 1 time per month to be safe. A dist-upgrade initiated only every 2 to 3 months should be considered the safe outer limit.

Maybe someday!

#6 OFFLINE   Hedon James

Hedon James

    Topic Cop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:22 AM

View Postsunrat, on 06 July 2018 - 07:37 PM, said:

I still think siduction is remarkable. The installer is quick and painless, updates are reliable as long as you read the warnings in the forum, and the forum is low traffic and helpful.
Last week I had to do my first backup restore for years, only because of a mismatched pulseaudio update which didn't even affect audio. :) A subsequent update fixed it.
I installed Stretch with a view to possibly switching over so I'd get less updates but still haven't switched. There are just a couple of applications I'd miss which are not available in Stretch.
The latest Plasma 5.13 came in last week also which is so smooth and well-behaved. Haven't tried the LXQT version for a while though.

I have Siduction LXQt in a VM and I LOVE it!  It's the most polished version of a LXQt desktop that I have experienced, and I've checked out all of them, except Redcore (haven't had a chance yet).  I'm so impressed with Siduction LXQt that I'd like to make it my daily driver, but my daily driver is also a production machine and the Siduction devs warn against doing that.  So I won't...but I really, really want to!

If you're interested in LXQt, let me encourage you to check it out.  I think you'll be impressed?!

#7 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

    Thread Kahuna

  • Forum Moderators
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:07 AM

View Postsaturnian, on 07 July 2018 - 04:18 AM, said:

I was wondering about the default sources, and I see that siduction (by default) uses its own repos rather than sid sources directly.

The debian.list in siduction contains the standard Debian sid repos from which 98% of packages come. The only siduction packages come from extra.list and fixes.list which are siduction's repo and mainly have kernel upgrades and a small handful of utilities. The fixes.list is rarely used where siduction devs find a bug in a sid package and fix it before the Debian devs do. The fixed packages regularly are contributed and become the Debian packages.
And yes regular upgrades are good. I usually do it once a week. The main thing to be wary of is when a large number of packages are proposed to be removed. Danger, Will Robinson! Stop, abort and wait. Last weeks Plasma 5.13 upgrade meant the system wasn't upgradeable for a few days. All good now. :thumbsup: B)
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#8 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

    Multithreader

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:48 AM

View Postsunrat, on 07 July 2018 - 09:07 AM, said:

View Postsaturnian, on 07 July 2018 - 04:18 AM, said:

I was wondering about the default sources, and I see that siduction (by default) uses its own repos rather than sid sources directly.

The debian.list in siduction contains the standard Debian sid repos from which 98% of packages come. The only siduction packages come from extra.list and fixes.list which are siduction's repo and mainly have kernel upgrades and a small handful of utilities. The fixes.list is rarely used where siduction devs find a bug in a sid package and fix it before the Debian devs do. The fixed packages regularly are contributed and become the Debian packages.

Guess I'm misunderstanding this part, then:

Quote

All siduction ISOs use the following sources as default:

#Freie Universität Berlin/ spline (Student Project LInux NEtwork), Deutschland
ftp://ftp.spline.de/pub/siduction/iso
rsync://ftp.spline.de/siduction/iso

deb ftp://ftp.spline.de/pub/siduction/base unstable main
deb ftp://ftp.spline.de/pub/siduction/fixes unstable main
deb-src ftp://ftp.spline.de/pub/siduction/base unstable main
deb-src ftp://ftp.spline.de/pub/siduction/fixes unstable main


#9 OFFLINE   mhbell

mhbell

    Posting Prodigy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:11 PM

View PostHedon James, on 07 July 2018 - 08:22 AM, said:

[
I have Siduction LXQt in a VM and I LOVE it!  It's the most polished version of a LXQt desktop that I have experienced, and I've checked out all of them, except Redcore (haven't had a chance yet).  I'm so impressed with Siduction LXQt that I'd like to make it my daily driver, but my daily driver is also a production machine and the Siduction devs warn against doing that.  So I won't...but I really, really want to!

If you're interested in LXQt, let me encourage you to check it out.  I think you'll be impressed?!
Well I am happy with Siduction LXQT. It boots on my computer in 10-12  sec flat. Debian stretch 9.4 is not far behind with cinnamon DE. I am seriously thinking of switching from Mint which has been my main OS from its inception. For some reason Mint now takes a long time booting up sometimes as long as 2 minutes. Even windows 10 is faster at about 15 sec. Once up and running Mint is very stable Never had problems with it before. clean installs same problem. Maybe it is the kernal. Will have to see about going back to a older one.
Mel
:pirate:
Registered Linux User #239772
Mint 18.1 Cinnimon, MX-16, Siduction LXQT, Debian Stretch, and Other Linux Distro's
https://pctechman.wordpress.com/

#10 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

    Thread Kahuna

  • Forum Moderators
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:29 PM

View Postsaturnian, on 07 July 2018 - 10:48 AM, said:

Guess I'm misunderstanding this part, then:
You're understanding it correctly. It's just that the manual hasn't had much love lately so is incorrect and the bases repo hasn't been used for 3 years.
Current siduction repos are (from inxi -r):
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
		 1: deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
		 Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/extra.list
		 1: deb https://packages.siduction.org/extra unstable main
		 Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/fixes.list
		 1: deb https://packages.siduction.org/fixes unstable main contrib non-free

registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#11 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

    Multithreader

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 12:25 AM

Thank you, sunrat! Well, it did occur to me that the info there might have been incorrect, and that perhaps I should have downloaded the iso and checked for myself, but then I decided that maybe it was a reading comprehension issue on my part! I really appreciate your clearing that up.

If I had taken the time to scroll down to the bottom of the page, I would have seen:

Quote

Page last revised 015/01/2012 1200 UTC

That right there explains a lot. Wow.

Edited by saturnian, 08 July 2018 - 12:26 AM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users