Forums

1. The Highlands

1. Announcements

General announcements of note for all forum members.

The place to free your mind and explore Linux, which for many, isn't an "alternative" operating system — it's their only OS.

Topics related to Windows, Microsoft, help with Windows, techniques, performance, betas, all types of Applications, Windows news, Windows server OSes, the future of operating systems, and more.

Topics and discussions related to Apple, Macintosh hardware and accessories, OS X, Classic, iTunes / iTMS (Mac & PC), mainstream Mac software, and more.

Exploring CPUs, motherboards, overclocking, building your own PC, case mods, PC brands, handhelds, peripherals of all types, DVDs, CD burners, hardware-specific software, device drivers, and anything else related to hardware.

Topics related to ANY AND ALL Mobile Platforms, Mobile Devices, Mobile Operating Systems, Mobile Apps, and more.

Protecting PCs from attack, networking, network hardware, remote access, sharing broadband, different broadband technologies, network troubleshooting, spam, encryption, firewalls, and more.

Social Media will cover all topics related to Social Media, Web 2.0, browsers and web applications, email, and more.

9. The Restaurant at the Edge of the Universe

The The Restaurant at the Edge of the Universe, previously known as The Water Cooler, is a place to post stuff that has absolutely nothing at all to do with computers, broadband, Scot's Newsletter, or anything that's "supposed" to be here.

Forum-Related Feedback Only, Please: Bugs, problems, forum software, skins, graphics, webhost, stuff we're testing, suggestions, and more. NOTE: Testing Subforum is under the Forum Feedback forum.

• ^ This. I would not want to come to depend on those MX Tools, because I use other distros. And I wouldn't want them included by default since I don't use them and don't need them. Although I do appreciate all the work that has gone into them, and I kinda like mx-live-usb-maker. I've used it only to set up home persistence on MX flash drives. I need to learn how to easily do that without MX. Haven't tried for root persistence.   My attachment to MX and that community comes from my days with Mepis, which was my primary distro for some years. Also, as with Mepis, MX live sessions are excellent for testing out old computers, and for quick installations when I need to do those. But it does seem like many other distros have nice live sessions these days.   Mepis was one of those that when it died it left a bad taste in my mouth for derivative distros, "one-man" distros, distros with small dev teams. Pushed me to become a better Debian user, though.
    • - ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Debian Security Advisory DSA-4570-1 security@debian.org https://www.debian.org/security/ Salvatore Bonaccorso November 17, 2019 https://www.debian.org/security/faq - ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Package : mosquitto CVE ID : CVE-2019-11779 Debian Bug : 940654 A vulnerability was discovered in mosquitto, a MQTT version 3.1/3.1.1 compatible message broker, allowing a malicious MQTT client to cause a denial of service (stack overflow and daemon crash), by sending a specially crafted SUBSCRIBE packet containing a topic with a extremely deep hierarchy. For the stable distribution (buster), this problem has been fixed in version 1.5.7-1+deb10u1.   - ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Debian Security Advisory DSA-4571-1 security@debian.org https://www.debian.org/security/ Moritz Muehlenhoff November 17, 2019 https://www.debian.org/security/faq - ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Package : thunderbird CVE ID : CVE-2019-15903 CVE-2019-11764 CVE-2019-11763 CVE-2019-11762 CVE-2019-11761 CVE-2019-11760 CVE-2019-11759 CVE-2019-11757 CVE-2019-11755 Multiple security issues have been found in Thunderbird which could potentially result in the execution of arbitrary code or denial of service. Debian follows the Thunderbird upstream releases. Support for the 60.x series has ended, so starting with this update we're now following the 68.x releases. For the oldstable distribution (stretch), this problem has been fixed in version 1:68.2.2-1~deb9u1. For the stable distribution (buster), this problem has been fixed in version 1:68.2.2-1~deb10u1.
    • I actually prefer Debian myself. I've used it (well, siduction) long enough to know how to overcome any niggles and tweak how I like it mainly by editing config files. I like MX mainly because of the enthusiasm and attitude of the developers. They are willing to help out any n00 new explorers asking stupid questions in the forums. I'm a bit less tolerant of some of the lame things I see posted there. There is a downside though, there are a few regular helpers there that throw every solution they can imagine at every problem, most of them wildly off-target. Every tool is a hammer, right? 😏 Another thing that puts me off using MX more regularly is the plethora of custom MX Tools which all do wonderful things but I know how to do most of those things with a simple one line cli command. Plus I really dislike Thunar and XFTerminal after being used to Dolphin and Konsole, and generally prefer KDE Plasma to Xfce. [I just accidentally typed Xfece, Freudian slip? ] But don't misunderstand, I recommend MX freely especially for live usb use. 👍😎 But speaking of live usb, I spent ages last night making live USB keys with root and home persistence and got it wrong at least half the time although I was actually testing for creation of an added data partition for one of the devs. I mentioned a bug where it was created with root permissions and I suggested it should be user permissions instead. He made a new version of the live-usb-maker for me to test. Didn't fix it yet though. Oh yeah, the best solution to having root and home persistence working is to set it up with persist_static rather than persist_all when first booting the stick and setting customisation. persist_static writes changes to the save file immediately whereas persist_all saves to RAM and only writes the save file at shutdown. I did have a couple of occasions where home changes were written but root changes were forgotten just as mentioned in the first post above when using persist_all.
    • That is literally the only way to get a real buyer.
    • The only good news is that these scammers are so eager that they always jump right on new posts.  So after the first couple of hours, they have all made their attempts and things settle down.  Any responses after that are likely to be legit.  Of course, anyone offering cashier's checks or Paypal are obvious scammers.  With craigslist, I'll only accept cash and personal pickup in a public place of my choosing.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Today's Birthdays

1. mvent2
      mvent2
      (30 years old)
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Bookmem