reinstall Windows 98SE

Shamgar

I am trying to reinstall Windows 98SE. After I have 98SE installed what should I be installing next? Drivers? Which ones first . . . . Audio, DirectX9, USB, Printer?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shamgar

• b2cm

• James M. Fisher

• Stonegiant

Guest LilBambi

Generally your Motherboard drivers are first, then video, audio, USB, etc.Then on to Windows Update for all security updates including DirectX update if applicable.But before you go online if you have another computer, strongly suggest you get a free software firewall like ZoneAlarm installed at the very least. Antivirus as quickly before/after Windows updates as possible. If you get AV before Windows Updates, disable it during Windows Updates.Hope this helps.

James M. Fisher

Typically, I get all my drivers installed after a fresh install of Windows, especially those items of hardware not recognized by Windows. I can live with the Windows drivers until later on when I can install custom drivers (if I do at all).What I also do at this time is create an image (as in DriveImage or Ghost) before continuing. Saves going through the entire reinstall process again just in case...Then do Windows Updates, but do as Fran advised before going online. :drooling:

Guest LilBambi

Yes, and Microsoft had one for all versions of Windows prior to SP2 that they gave away for free that I use before going online with a Win98SE box, as well as AV and firewall.However, I think I remember reading that it is no longer available. So this one that James mentioned might just be the ticket if you have access and a CD burner on another machine ahead of time. :drooling:

James M. Fisher
Yes, and Microsoft had one for all versions of Windows prior to SP2 that they gave away for free that I use before going online with a Win98SE box, as well as AV and firewall.However, I think I remember reading that it is no longer available. So this one that James mentioned might just be the ticket if you have access and a CD burner on another machine ahead of time. :P

That's correct Fran it is no longer available. It is great to have for getting Win98/Me or W2K up to a fairly recent update level (ie Feb 2004).

Thanks for all the replies. And congrats on the promotions to moderator. :P Yes, I already have the unofficial service pack. . . I found out about that pack previously from this forum. ;) I found out that my motherboard driver disk that came with the board causes all sorts of problems when I use it. There is a missing Kslockf.ax during install. So when I canceled the install it caused one of my 4 partitions ( i just learned how to partition in windows a few days Yeah!) ago and it made one unrecognizable and moved the letter to my cd burner. So now I am wiping the whole project and restarting from a clean drive again. That being said I have now downloaded all new drivers for my motherboard.So now I am planning on adding my drivers in SAFE MODE (something I have never used before) to load all these drivers. So which of these do I add first? (There is no modem). Also, when I install do I have to create a certain file or will these drivers "know" where to go?Asus Drivers A7S333 - AudioFileName cm281_w98se.zip Version V5.12.01.0635 Date 2002/04/12Description C-Media CMI8738/C3DX Audio Driver V2.81 for Windows 98 SE Driver V5.12.01.0635.More... File Size 2(MBytes) OS Win9x / WinMEBIOS FileName as331006.zip Version 1006 Date 2003/05/05Description A7S333 BIOS 1006More... File Size 172.26 (Kbytes) OS AllBIOS TOOLFileName aflash221.zip Version 2.21 Date 2002/12/23Description Aflash V2.21 Utility to update the motherboard flash BIOS - (DOS)More... File Size 30.29 (Kbytes) OS DOSFileName e1265_a7s333.zip Version E1265 Date 2003/10/30Description A7S333 manual English VersionMore... File Size 3.51(MBytes) OS All FileName pctel.zip Version - Date 2002/04/12Description PCTel AMR Drivers for Windows NT 4.0 /2000 /XP /95 /98 /ME.More... File Size 3.8 (Mbytes) OS Win95 / Win9x / WinME / WinNT / Win2K / WinXPFileName ap19w9x.zip Version V1.09 Date 2002/05/21Description SiS AGP WHQL Drivers V1.09More... File Size 1.62 (Mbytes) OS Win9x / WinME FileName ite15d.zip Version V1.50D Date 2002/04/12Description ITE GSM Editor V1.50D for Windows 95/98/ME/NT40/2000/XP.More... File Size 1.28 (Mbytes) OS Win95 / Win9x / WinME / WinNT / Win2K / WinXPFileName AGP_1170.zip Version 1.17 Date 2003/07/28Description SiS AGP WHQL Drivers for Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP V7.2.0.1170More... File Size 5.38 (Mbytes) OS Win98SE / WinME / Win2K / WinXP

You can download the latest drivers here:http://www.sis.com/download/You might want to install in this order. (No need for the safe mode approach.)1. SiS IDE driver (v2.04a)2. AGP (Gart) driver (v1.19a)3. Your AGP card drivers4. CMI audio drivers, USB drivers, LAN5. DirectX, codecs, Internet Explorer, etc.6. Unofficial Service PackDon't update your BIOS if your not having BIOS-related problems.

I normally just install NIC drivers and download all the rest from the web. This is, of course, assuming I have a broadband web connection available. :blink:

The "Kslockf.ax" file is probably just a DirectShow filter/codec, and if so does not bear on partitions. If you run into the same problem, choose "Skip" option instead of "Cancel".You can post here the partitions you have created and maybe we can help you avoid the problem/s you have seen.

The "Kslockf.ax" file is probably just a DirectShow filter/codec, and if so does not bear on partitions. If you run into the same problem, choose "Skip" option instead of "Cancel".You can post here the partitions you have created and maybe we can help you avoid the problem/s you have seen.

Thanks for the replies. You want me to run the Asus disk that came with the board first and skip, not cancel the "Kslockf.ax", and then do the separate updated drivers in this order here. Correct?
You might want to install in this order. (No need for the safe mode approach.)1. SiS IDE driver (v2.04a)2. AGP (Gart) driver (v1.19a)3. Your AGP card drivers4. CMI audio drivers, USB drivers, LAN5. DirectX, codecs, Internet Explorer, etc.6. Unofficial Service Pack
Oh, yeah I have a 40 gig hard drive. The C: = 2 gig; D: 8 gig; E: 13 gig; F: 15 gig (Approx since it is about 37 gig) Edited by Shamgar

Guest LilBambi

Looks like you have plenty of help on the order of drivers etc....but something to think about.You might find that you will need more than 2 Gig on c: ... some programs will not allow you to install to another partition (hard coded in the installer), and even if you are able to choose to install most programs to another partition, those programs still put a lot of things in the system folders and Documents and Settings (not My Documents which can be anywhere you choose), but Documents and Settings (which I haven't figured out how to move...yet!) on c: (in WinXP Pro) -- likely true of the Application Data directory under Win98SE.I used 5Gig for my c: drive and still wish I had left more of the 20Gig drive for c: ... may be something to think about. :clap:

Edited by LilBambi

Looks like you have plenty of help on the order of drivers etc....but something to think about.You might find that you will need more than 2 Gig on c: ... some programs will not allow you to install to another partition (hard coded in the installer), and even if you are able to choose to install most programs to another partition, those programs still put a lot of things in the system folders and Documents and Settings (not My Documents which can be anywhere you choose), but Documents and Settings (which I haven't figured out how to move...yet!) on c: (in WinXP Pro) -- likely true of the Application Data directory under  Win98SE.I used 5Gig for my c: drive and still wish I had left more of the 20Gig drive for c: ... may be something to think about. :clap:

Okay my plans for the drive is Windows 98se and Win4Lin with a backup. I was planning on instaling 98se in C: and all the programs and games for 98se in the D: The E: would be Win4Lin and the F: would be backup. Or should I just have 3 partitions? 98se-10/Win4Lin-10/Backup-17?pensando.gifeusa_think.gifscratchchin6hy.gif

I went to the Asus site to look at driver downloads for your motherboard. It looks like they offer only the updates, so it would be wise to use the Asus motherboard setup CD, to make sure you don't miss any driver (chipset, IDE). Then, you can update drivers that can be updated (the ones I listed), and then-- to update system files-- install newer versions of DirectX, Windows Media, Internet Explorer and the unofficial service pack. As for your apps, first install system utilities (disk, security, registry, backups, etc) you use, followed by your productivity applications. Yes, I hope there's a "Skip File" button when setup complains it can't find that kslock.ax file. Use that instead of the Cancel button.Bambi is right. You should try to increase the size of your system partition (C:), and if not, use Drive D as your program partition (where you can have a Program Files folder under which you install your applications.If you are not multi-booting, make sure Drives D, E and F are logical drives (not primary partitions).

Guest LilBambi
Okay my plans for the drive is Windows 98se and Win4Lin with a backup. I was planning on instaling 98se in C: and all the programs and games for 98se in the D: The E: would be Win4Lin and the F: would be backup.
I think what b2cm and I are trying to say is that what you are saying will work overall, however, 2Gig may still turn out to be abit small for your windows system drive (c:) in time. You may just wish to think about increasing it some.Painting yourself in a corner may be a pain later if you find it wasn't enough space.

I would suggest:C (Ist primary, FAT32, 8gb) = win98seD (logical, FAT32, 20gb) = store/backupE (logical, linux swap, 500mb) = linux swap partitionF (logical, reiserfs, 10gb) = linux distroPartitions E and F wouldn't show up in win98se. Install Win98se first. Ask for help in All Things Linux what distro would suit your needs, and how to proceed with the install.

I would suggest:C (Ist primary, FAT32, 8gb) = win98seD (logical, FAT32, 20gb) = store/backupE (logical, linux swap, 500mb) = linux swap partitionF (logical, reiserfs, 10gb) = linux distroPartitions E and F wouldn't show up in win98se. Install Win98se first. Ask for help in All Things Linux what distro would suit your needs, and how to proceed with the install.

Well when I was partitioning my windows hard drive with the ATL I couldn't get windows to load on the hard drive correctly. That is why I used FDisk to partition the harddrive and it went on no problem. I don't remember seeing the reiserfs or swap option on the fdisk.

Microsoft Fdisk does not have those options. Just leave about 10gb unallocated disk space after D. When you install a Linux distro, it will create a swap partition and a root/user partition using that free space. Folks at ATL would be happy to walk you through the process. But install Win98se first. Then try a few live CDs.

Microsoft Fdisk does not have those options. Just leave about 10gb unallocated disk space after D. When you install a Linux distro, it will create a swap partition and a root/user partition using that free space. Folks at ATL would be happy to walk you through the process. But install Win98se first. Then try a few live CDs.

Thanks. I have two hard drives. The slave is only Linux and the master will be WIndows 98se and Win4Lin with one of the distributions I have or will be getting soon. . . . probably the ATL from Scot's since Bruno was nice enough to get me the ATL rpms for bibletime. Of the Live cd's I have used the ATL is still my favorite.

Okay, maybe I have found my problem. Am I supposed to be creating an extended dos partition after creating the c: partition? The instructions I have been following say to do the primary partition then an extended partition then my logical partitions. When I do that my extended partition becomes the "D:" partition and my logical becomes my "E:" partition. Should I be skipping the extended partition?icon_confused.gifconfused2hw.gifhuh.gif209050.gif

Edited by Shamgar

Yes, create the primary partition first. Set it as "Active" so it becomes bootable and then at restart, format it. You can create 4 primary partitions on a disk. One of these is a special primary partition called the "extended partition" that you can subdivide into as many "logical partitions" as your free disk space permits. You, therefore, cannot skip the extended partition.Your Disk1 logical partition should be Drive D: (the extended partition is not assigned a driver letter, only its logical partition/s). If it appears as E: and Disk2 appears as D:, that means Disk2 is a primary partition. In which case, delete the primary partition (not good to have 2 primary partitions open at the same time) and create in its place, first, an extended partition, and within that extended partition, two logical partitions (one for a Linux swap partition, and another for a Linux root/user partition).

Okay I have everything repartitioned. I have Win 98se reinstalled. I have put the Asus Driver Disc into the cdrom and clicked on the setup. The install window came up and when I went to Click on the "Install SIS APG Drivers v1.09" . . . I noticed this message that I didn't pay attention to before "Please be sure that you've already installed Display Drivers." Is this the "Kslockf.ax" problem. Windows didn't install display drivers? I can see the screen just fine. It doesn't have the Nvidia installed yet so it is low res.

Edited by Shamgar

Guest LilBambi

Sounds like you may want to use the video driver disk, or download and burn the video driver for your video card and install that first then try the motherboard disk if that's what it's wanting.