Post the most amazing science/tech things you found on the Internet to

amenditman

amenditman

Please remember this is a friendly, family-oriented forum. There are rules about what is acceptable.

If you aren't sure if it is appropriate, please don't post it.

Then check the forum rules.

Here, about politics and religion, and here for the Forum Rules.

https://www.go-astronomy.com/planets/planet-moons.htm

I knew there were a lot of moons in the outer solar system, but this is more than I thought.

http://507movements.com/

Very cool mechanical drawings, some with animations.

• Like 1

Space-based internet the focus of new OneWeb Florida satellite factory

OneWeb officially opened a high-tech factory near the Kennedy Space Center Monday designed to produce two internet-delivery spacecraft per day. It's part of an ambitious plan to launch nearly 2,000 broadband relay stations providing cable modem-class connectivity for schools, rural communities and other underserved populations around the world.

Six OneWeb satellites were launched atop a Soyuz rocket from French Guiana earlier this year to test throughput and latency in a pilot project connecting schools in Alaska, Ecuador, Honduras, Rwanda, Nepal and Kyrgyzstan. By the end of the year, another Soyuz is expected to carry the first load of 32 operational satellites to orbit.

The initial six OneWeb satellites are operating as expected, he said, adding "we're seeing 100 percent mission success."

"We're seeing 400 megabits per second (connectivity) with 30 millisecond latency," he said. That's equivalent to a cable modem in the U.S. So we're now able to show and demonstrate working satellites that can connect these places around the world."

I wonder how much a connection to the service would cost ? :breakfast:

SpaceX launched 60 of their satellites last month to provide free broadband internet.

The concern is more one of scale. Eventually, SpaceX hopes to put a constellation of nearly 12,000 internet satellites into orbit.

https://www.engadget...ink-satellites/

I did not realise that the satellites had a 5 year life. That means that they will have to keep on sending them up. I guess they may eventually make them with a longer life span.

I was thinking the danger may be if they crashed into some other space debris and broke up or altered orbit causing more debris, causing more debris etc etc. Then you could end up with swathes of junk that would be very hard to clean up.

:Smiley-IPB-400: :Smiley-IPB-400: :Smiley-IPB-400: :Smiley-IPB-400: :Smiley-IPB-400:

The SpaceX StarLink satellites have fuel and collision avoidance capabilities. The final thing they will do at the end of their lifespan is a re-entry burn up.

• Like 1

Well it's not like they are just blindly being shot into space. I am pretty sure that they have a specific projectory laid out.

Space Junk/Satellite tracking

The SpaceX StarLink satellites have fuel and collision avoidance capabilities. The final thing they will do at the end of their lifespan is a re-entry burn up.

Hmmm I think, no let me read that again, I know that out of the 12,000 + satellites they are sending up quite a few will fail. They may very well have collision avoidance set ups but some of those will fail, they may well have automatic re-entry systems but some of those will fail.

There is already a load of space junk floating around up there and it only takes a millimeter sized chunk to cut through a cable , pierce a fuel tank or line or knock a ariel out of place and you have a dead satellite. A meteor may knock one slightly of course into a new and unsafe orbit. A stowaway spider may short out a circuit board or a part may fail, an yes I know they probably have secondary circuits but there is always the possibility that those may fail too. An if you have a full sized satellite acting in some random way it may just give another satellite a nudge and hey ho you have a domino effect.

An there is always the possibility that some evil state may send up a rocket and blow it up with the intention of disrupting the whole network.

The system probably will work very well. It may continue to do so for a long time. But it may go bums up too. :whistling:

Edited by abarbarian