Why Multiple Users

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

... why is that?

vtel57@ericsbane03:~$ whovtel57   tty1		 2009-05-12 15:26vtel57   pts/0		2009-05-12 15:26 (:0)vtel57   pts/1		2009-05-12 16:03 (:0.0)

Just curious...

Hi Erictty1 is the black screen where you type "startx"pts/0 is the KDE gui you are logged in ( same time as tty1 so you probably did not type startx and that was done in the background )pts/1 is the terminal where you typed the command "who" ( has the time you opened the konsole: 16:03 )If you open additional terminals ( konsole ) you will see even more pts/* linesB) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

Ah! And yes... my Slack starts out in init 3 (no X). I have to "startx" to get into the GUI. Anywho... that explains it pretty much. Thanks, B! ;)

... why is that?
vtel57@ericsbane03:~$ who vtel57   tty1		 2009-05-12 15:26 vtel57   pts/0		2009-05-12 15:26 (:0) vtel57   pts/1		2009-05-12 16:03 (:0.0)

Just curious...

It's because I'm stalking you. :devil:

Well I assume that nobody is stalking me, not even you dear Sue;snapshot9cxz.th.pngbut why the difference in time between the console "09:54" and the time in KDE "20:32"?And why do I have only one entry even with 3 konsoles opened?snapshot10w.th.pngJust wondering ( or like Eric said "curious" )?

Edited by réjean

Frank Golden

Just curious Eric what is the advantage of having to type startx instead of starting the GUI auto magically.

Only me here:

roger@brain8:~$ whoroger	:0		   2009-05-12 22:49

I would guess the who command shows login time and the GUI shows current local time.

roger@brain8:~$ dateWed May 13 12:42:42 EST 2009

the advantage of having to type startx instead of starting the GUI auto magically.
It's a Holy Slacker Ritual.handcrank.jpg :devil:

V.T. Eric Layton

Uh-Oh... that crazy canuck is stalking me. ;)Réjean, the time is different because you opened the terminal after you started X. Only one entry because even though you have three consoles open, you're the same user using all three. That would be my guess, anyway.Roger (sunrat) is lonely. You're never alone with a schizophrenic. 44.gif My system has multiple personalities. ;)Frank, Urmas is correct. It's a secret, er... I mean Holy Slacker Ritual. :devil:

Roger (sunrat) is lonely. You're never alone with a schizophrenic. 44.gif My system has multiple personalities. :whistling:
Lucky Linux is multi user. Only one of me logged in today, I think. :devil: