Monitor Switcher Thingamajig

SonicDragon

SonicDragon

I'm thinking about buying a monitor switcher thingamajig. Ya know? Sort of like a KVM switch, but it only does the monitors?I want two computers to share one monitor, so i can switch back and forth between the two. However, i don't know what this thing is actually called <_< I think the summer heat is getting to me :w00t:

SonicDragon
A KVM can do just monitors.... Does not require a keyboard or mouse to work.
Humm, i may have to do that. I sort of want to avoid paying for one that does everything though. Although, i still haven't even really looked at prices. they may not be too bad. I have one at work that does just monitors though, so i know they are out there.I may just buy another monitor lol. The deal is that i'm looking to get a new computer soon. I still haven't quite decided on what i'm doing yet, i'm still trying to explore options. Right now, the G5 is winning, and i can afford a relatively nice headless one, but as soon as i add a monitor (their 17" flat screen), i'm way over budget. So, i think i might have to settle with a smaller pc monitor that's not as nice, though i'd really love a 17" flat screen (what i have on this computer now). Or... maybe i'll just have to bite the bullet and find the extra cash...

:thumbsup: I've got a monitor thingamajig, it's called a monitor (or video) switch box. Can't remember the cost but it wasn't much and was cheaper than a KVM at the time.

I had a manual KVM switch that got to sometimes loosing sync when switching. I'd end up with two pcs and no way to input to either of them. It got to be a pain. I now have an IOGEAR electronic one which is much more stable. And I think it was only $29. If you can find an electronic one for just monitor switching that would be my recommendation.A few years ago KVM switches were over $120 but not now.

SonicDragon
That is the exact one i use at work :)EdP, i've also had problems with it before too. Really scared me one day when i couldn't get anything to show up on the monitor!Thanks everyone. I did some more looking around, and i think i just might buy a cheep CRT. The lowend 16-17 inch ones around only around $130 now. I figure i'll take this flat 17" in put it on the new one, and put the CRT on this one.Who knows. I still haven't really figured out what i'm doing yet. :thumbsup: Just exploring options before i buy.

Your best bet is a real KVM over a manual switch. A good KVM does not remove teh connection from the card so switching is not like hot plugging a monitor into the card everytime you want to see the other PC.I have a 2 PC Belkin that I used for years. I finally grabbed a 4 port version and have not loooked back since. Pick up the cable based version at the least. Mine is the full on 4 port with sound from Belkin. The 2 PC's I have connected currently are really only sharing the keyboard and the Monitor. Though one of the PC's has 2 monitors connected and 2 keyboards. With the KVM and a few USB devices the combinations are endless...Good luck.