Where is Striker?

Tushman

I haven't seen him posting around in quite a while... Has anyone heard from him? Hope everything is OK.And for that matter, I haven't seen Clutter around in a long time either. :)

Edited by Tushman

V.T. Eric Layton

Clutter's around. Striker is doing fine (according to Bruno). He hasn't been around here much though. You're right about that. :)

Friends !!!I'm doing fine but have been busy with the house, restoration so to speak. And life... It's a big, old house and there's only me doing the works. No car, just walking or on the bike getting the materials in :) but eventually we get there. :hmm:

Friends !!!I'm doing fine but have been busy with the house, restoration so to speak. And life... It's a big, old house and there's only me doing the works. No car, just walking or on the bike getting the materials in :hysterical: but eventually we get there. :thumbsup:
Nice to see you Striker. :)I wasn't worried one bit.

The candy handy man can. :hysterical: Good to "see you", Striker! :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: Yep, 'handy' Frank Canon is still cannoning :lol: , this time using a tacker and nails to nail it all down. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

Sounds like FUN, Striker. My house could use a bit of fixing up too. If you come on over and help, I'll even let you use my truck to get the supplies. :hysterical:

Cluttermagnet

Striker- WB, guy.I love working on houses. And the one I have right now needs endless work. A new roof. Insulation. And on and on. But it's a nice house, especially because of the wood stove we added. Opens up a whole new lifestyle. The hearth becomes a center and a study in contrasts, where the warmth drives away the chill. Ahhh, satisfaction- the moment sufficient unto itself.WB. We miss you when you're away.

Cluttermagnet
Clutter's been posting in Bruno's All Things Linux in between snow shoveling stints.
Heh! Probably about 35-40 inches of it recently. It's getting me in shape, that's for sure. I'm now responsible for two driveways. Double my previous workload. Amazing it hasn't thrown my back into spasms of protest- but I guess I've learned to 'work smart' and respect my limits. It's all strengthened my resolve to try to get ahead a year or two with my wood supply for the stove. And that, in turn, gets me outside spring, summer, and fall, harvesting and processing deadwood. I need the exercise. :)

Cluttermagnet
I haven't seen him posting around in quite a while... Has anyone heard from him? Hope everything is OK.And for that matter, I haven't seen Clutter around in a long time either. :)
Hiya, Tushman-Will try to stop by the Cooler a little more often. Haven't been in the Forums quite as much recently. I do post over in Bruno's All Things Linux forum a little. Best friendly Linux help on the net! You guys are the best! Scot's is still one of my main stopovers on the net, for nearly 7 years now. Edited by Cluttermagnet

The fixer-upper work is fun but the constant 3 figure trips to Home Depot or Lowes gets real old real fast. I went to Lowes a week or so ago (one of my many trips over the last month and a half) and the cashier said my total was $23. I was dumbfounded. I don't honestly remember having a bill under a hundred dollars in a long time. I didn't know it was possible to walk out of there with 5 or 6 items and spend so little money. Next purchase is going to be roughly $1500 on a new washer & dryer. Or at the very least $700 for a new washer. Isn't home ownership fun? I've done just about every room in my house at least once in the last 12 years. Now I am about ready to start over again.

Isn't home ownership fun? I've done just about every room in my house at least once in the last 12 years. Now I am about ready to start over again.
FuzzButt, I feel your pain! We built our house in 1994, and decided to donate our old appliances to the Salvation Army and buy all new for the new house - washer, dryer, and 'fridge. I replaced the gas range last summer because we couldn't find a replacement digital display - a $150 part. The 'fridge was replaced last November when we had new ceramic tile laid in our kitchen. I'm in the process of shopping for a new dishwasher for the same reason as the range, can't find a replacement part. I'm sure we'll be shopping for a washer and dryer within the next year or so. And the money pit continues to deepen. :thumbsup:

I love all these house fixer upper stories.I make my main income from repairing/remodelling.You folks encourage me. 2009 was a very challenging year in my business.

V.T. Eric Layton
Isn't home ownership fun?
The story of the homeowner... fix one thing, three others break. Ah well, it beats living in a cardboard box under the interstate overpass. :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton
2009 was a very challenging year in my business.
In this neck o' the woods (Florida), you're seriously understating the situation. :thumbsup:

Our home is in pretty good shape. My Mom's could use some fixing up. Unfortunately at 89 years old, she isn't about to spend much. I made her buy a new refrigerator. Hers was 53 years old and I knew it would die some Friday night in July when the outside temp was in the 90s and she would expect me to find a fix somehow. <sigh> She is still pretty annoyed with me that I made the delivery people take away an even older refrigerator from the 1940s that worked up until a few years ago and this 53 year old Norge - because it was still working! She expected it to last forever. I knew if I missed the opportunity for them to haul it away at minimal additional charge, the refrigerator would die within the week and create another headache for me.My Dad was good at fixing things. I'm not a plumber nor an electrician but I can do minor things. Unfortunately she lives an hour away in another county and my husband and I do not have a clue about who to call when there is a problem at her home. She has had some bad work done. I'd ask the neighbors but when I hear stories about what they got done, I don't want to use the people they've called.

The old American made appliances really lasted.Now, everything made overseas, maybe you get 10 or 12 years and you feel lucky.This is a recent development too. I had a Whirlpool washer dryer set I got when we got married in 1985.It lasted 17 years in a home with two kids, about 20 loads a week, I'd call it slightly more than light use.I just sold a computer I've had since 1987. Can you believe this was still running, let alone anyone would give me money for it. All American made components.PC 80286 processor 10 MHz clock speed640 k RAM I had upgraded the HD to 20GBUpgraded by adding a CD Reader at some point5 1/4 disc3 1/2 discDOS 5 Windows 3.1 From the Floppy boot discI paid somewhere around 2000 - 2500 to build it. Sold it for 50. Such a deal.

I just sold a computer I've had since 1987. Can you believe this was still running, let alone anyone would give me money for it. All American made components.
I very much doubt it.

V.T. Eric Layton

'87? All American components? Nah... I'd have to call "I doubt it" too for that one. Maybe all Taiwanese or Philippine or even Japanese, but in '87 practically no small electronic components were being manufactured in America. Not trying to rile you up, Bob... just from my 20+ years experience in the late 70s through the '90s in component level electronics repair tells me that there wasn't a genuine American made component being made in '87. The only exception might be the micro itself. Some American companies were still manufacturing them here in '87.