2 XP's on 1 Computer?

sarah Tu

Can you install two instances of Windows XP - on separate partitions - on the same physical hard drive? I want one Win XP for Bob, and another for Alice. They both use the same computer, but they have their own private Win XP to configure (and screw up) as they please.This seems like a good home-configuration setup, where you have a number of people using the same box.

Yes. It will be installed as a dual boot, with the second installation using the next available drive letter. You can also dual boot with a third-party boot manager and take advantage of partiton hiding to install the second installation into its own c: partition.

If you want, we can even tell you how to edit your boot menu to say "Bob's XP" and "Alice's XP" instead of just listing Windows XP twice, with no way to tell which is which.For anyone interested, you can dual-boot other versions of Windows as well. Just install them oldest to newest (3.1, 95, 98, 2000, ME, XP).

Sarah,That seems to be a waste of disk space. Why don't you install just one copy of XP, then create user accounts for each of them? That's what XP was designed to do (multi-user configuration). If you have the pro version, you can assign them different levels of permission.

Edited by Tushman

If you want, we can even tell you how to edit your boot menu to say "Bob's XP" and "Alice's XP" instead of just listing Windows XP twice, with no way to tell which is which.
OK - what file do you edit?
That seems to be a waste of disk space. Why don't you install just one copy of XP, then create user accounts for each of them? That's what XP was designed to do (multi-user configuration). If you have the pro version, you can assign them different levels of permission.
But, if both Bob and Alice are both sharing the same Windows XP install on differentaccounts, if Bob fills his up with games and buggy software, he's going to adversley affect Alice (?). I'm assuming two separate installs would avoid this problem (?) i.e. two 'virtually' separate Windows partitions that can't communicate and interact.

But, if both Bob and Alice are both sharing the same Windows XP install on differentaccounts, if Bob fills his up with games and buggy software, he's going to adversley affect Alice (?). I'm assuming two separate installs would avoid this problem (?) i.e. two 'virtually' separate Windows partitions that can't communicate and interact.

I suppose to a certain extent that's true as I recently had a problem with a freeware program that affected my limited user account but not the Admin account. But I consider that as a rare exception and not the norm. At any rate, if you have big enough of a HDD you certainly could have 2 installations of XP. If Bob and Alice are the only two people who are going to use this PC, they could both be assigned Admins. The only danger to that is they would both have access to each others files. They would also have to be careful about making any changes to the Program Files folder since there will be two instances of it both on the C: and D: partitions. To eliminate any type of confusion wiht that - I would think about renaming the volume for both partitions so that their names are shown.

You can edit the boot.ini file to modify the way the dual-boot menu appears on the screen. Make a make up copy of the original before making any changes and also remember to remove the "Read Only" file attribute before editing the file. Reapply the file attribute after you're done editing the file. Edited by Tushman

c:\boot.ini (more info @ SNFL Forums here).
Correct on all counts. Edited by epp_b

The only danger to that is they would both have access to each others files.  They would also have to be careful about making any changes to the Program Files folder since there will be two instances of it both on the C: and D: partitions.  To eliminate any type of confusion wiht that - I would think about renaming the volume for both partitions so that their names are shown.
That's why partition hiding would solve this problem. There are two ways to do this. One, Use a third-party boot manager that allows you to hide partitions; or Two, use the Disk Management MMC to remove the drive letter from the other person's partition.

or Two, use the Disk Management MMC to remove the drive letter from the other person's partition.Do you mean, My Computer > Manage > Disk Management > ... then what?

I have 3 XPs on my computer at home. One is personal daily use. Two is multimedia use (for video editing, capturing, burning, etc.) Three is for work. All three is on their own partition and all are assigned to drive C. I have a boot manager which hides two partitions and showing one only (as it is what I selected) I have no problems with them. The only downside is running updates on each separately. But that is the price you pay which is minimal. FYI, the personal partition is everything I use daily. The multimedia partition has only the necessary apps need for doing multimedia stuff and nothing on system tray or services running unless needed. And the work partition is all what my company can do with it, they have security application and crap installed that is required for telecommuting. I didn't want their stuff on my personal stuff as they don't need to control me off hours.Get a boot manager and do a clean install of XP on each one of them. Depending on the boot manager you have, it is wise to turn off the boot manager feature and make the partition you want to install XP on active partition. Then install XP. When that is done. Either use Fdisk or the boot manager to make the other partition active. Then install XP on that one. Once both XP is installed. Turn on the boot manager and you have two separate XPs on one computer.

Do you mean, My Computer > Manage > Disk Management > ... then what?

Sarah,Let's say you have Bob & Alice on partition C: & D: respectively. For Bob, you'll want to remove the Alice's drive from showing in Explorer and visa versa. Boot up on partition C: and open up Disk management. Right click on the D: partition and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths" in the context menu that appears. You'll then see 3 options listed: Add, Change, Remove.Click Remove.#1) Understand that you are removing the drive letter - not deleting the partition.#2) Boot up for each XP and do the same for each person separately. Edited by Tushman

Thanks Tushman.BTW - do you know how to assign a value to "timeout" in boot.ini,so that - there is no time. i.e. timeout=infinite.I want to disable the autoboot into the first install afterthe set time value.

Thanks Tushman.BTW - do you know how to assign a value to "timeout" in boot.ini,so that - there is no time. i.e. timeout=infinite.I want to disable the autoboot into the first install afterthe set time value.

Unfortunately, there's isn't a way to make the timeout value infinite. Atleast not that I know of anyway. The max value you can use is 999 seconds (almost 17 minutes).
In Disk Management, when I click Remove, I get: "Windows cannot remove the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume"

Make sure that you are logged as an "Admin" for Bob. So if you're booted up in Bob's XP on C:\ - you would need to remove the D: drive letter (if that's where Alice's XP is installed).I don't know if the other situation will work where you are removing the C: drive from showing in Alice's XP since C: is the active partition. Once I get my Active partition set up, I never fiddle with it using the disk management console. Edited by Tushman

This will be problematic if you boot to the d: partition; the c: partition contains the boot.ini file that booted it so that won't solve it.

That's why partition hiding would solve this problem ... Use a third-party boot manager that allows you to hide partitions ....
This is the effective solution to your problem. But this requires the use of a partitioning tool and a boot manager. In brief:1. Create another PRIMARY partition using a partition utility (ie, BootItNG, PartitionExpert, PartitionMagic). You can convert D: (a extended/logical partition) to a primary partition. Or, if space allows, resize it (make it smaller) to free up space for the new primary partition.2. Install the boot manager, and set it up to boot either of the two primary partitions, and to hide the inactive primary partition.3. Restart the computer and boot the new partition. This should fail because no XP is installed on that partition, but this will UNHIDE the partition and set it to ACTIVE, readying it for the XP installation.4. Load the XP setup CD, restart the computer, and boot from the CD-ROM to begin installing your second XP in the new partition.The 2 XP installations won't need the other to boot, and when won't see the other when loaded. You can also use the boot manager to set the timeout for its boot menu.

• 1 month later...
This is the effective solution to your problem. But this requires the use of a partitioning tool and a boot manager. In brief:
Didn't work... Here's what I did. Yesterday, I bought a new 80GB Hard Disk. I set up Win XP Proon the entire HD (one partition) then, installed Partition Magic 6.0.When I tried to create a new partition (out of C:) PM said the max size allowed was only 7.8 MB. Since I need two 50-50 partitions - 40GB each - this is a problem.Also when I tried to install the Boot Manager, it told me that BM can't be installed to anNTFS partition - only FAT. But I don't want FAT!I just want to install two instances of Win XP, where each Win can't see the other (i.e. each user has no access to the other partition).

You can't use PM 6 to do what you're doing; it doesn't support XP's NTFS nor large hard drives. You will need to purchase Symantec's Partition Magic 8. ;)

You can use MasterBooter to set everything up at no cost. (Shareware version limits you to booting 3 partitions on first hard disk). Masterbooter does not require FAT/NTFS since its code is located on the MBR. It comes with a partitioning utility called EFDISK.EXE that you can use to create the 2 partitions you need. Download "mboot34.zip" here:http://www.masterbooter.com/download/share...version_en.htmlUnzip the file to a DOS startup disk. Restart computer and boot from floppy. At the command prompt (A:\>) type: "efdisk" (no quotation marks) and press ENTER.To create the 2 partitions, you will need the following information:FStype = type of file system (use "C", FAT32lba, convert/format to NTFS during XP install)1start = Where 1st partition starts on the disk any number (minimum 0, recommended)1end = Where 1st partition ends on the disk2start = Where 1st partition starts on the disk2end = Where 1st partition ends on the diskTo determine the values for these:At the top of the right pane, note the number under CYLS. That number minus 1 is "2end" value. Divide the number by 2 (because you want 2 equal parts) to determine "1end" value. Add 1 to "1end" value to get "2start" value.For example (from my VirtualPC):Cyls Heads Secs1667 255 631start = 01end = 833 (1666/2)2start = 834 (833+1)2end = 1666 (1667-1)Once you have calculated (and written down on paper) these values you can begin creating the partitions. Note: If you have an existing XP partition you would like to keep, and enough unallocated space after it, just create the second partition, adding 1 to the end value of partition 1 (as shown in EFDISK left panel) to determine the start of partition 2.CREATING FIRST PARTITION(1) Select "First-First-Empty" line, and press ENTER to begin. In the right pane, you will find the blinking prompt "Select type". Type "C" (no quotation marks) and press ENTER.(2) For the blinking prompt "Starting cylinder", type "1start" value and press ENTER.(3) For the blinking prompt "Ending cylinder", type "1end" value and press ENTER.(4) Press SPACEBAR to set this partition active.CREATING SECOND PARTITION(1) Using cursor key, select "First-Second-Empty" line, and press ENTER to begin. In the right pane, you will find the blinking prompt "Select type". Type "C" (no quotation marks) and press ENTER.(2) For the blinking prompt "Starting cylinder", type "2start" value and press ENTER.(3) For the blinking prompt "Ending cylinder", type "2end" value and press ENTER.(4) Press F10 to save settings, and press Y to confim. Hit any key to restart computer.INSTALLING WINDOWS XP ON PARTITION 1Insert Windows XP CD and boot from it. Install to C: (partition1, active). During setup, convert from FAT32 to NTFS.INSTALLING WINDOWS XP ON PARTITION 2After installing Windows XP on the first partition, restart and boot from floppy. (1) Type"efdisk" and hide Partition1 by pressing H. (2) Use cursor keys to select partition2, press SPACEBAR to set it active.(3) Press F10 to save settings, and Y to confirm. Hit any key to restart.(4) Boot from your Windows XP CD and install to C: (partition 2, active). INSTALLING THE BOOT MANAGER(1) Boot from floppy, and type "mrbooter" at the (A:\>) prompt. The first screen prompts you which partitions you want to add to the boot menu.(2) While the first entry is selected, press ENTER to add to boot menu. Use cursor keys to selectthe second entry and press ENTER to add to boot menu. Press F10 to get to the next screen.(3) The second screen prompts you for boot menu settings. Press ENTER, type in desired boot menu label for Partition 1, press ENTER again.(4) Using cursor keys, select Partition 2, press ENTER, type in desired menu label, press ENTER again.Do the same for other settings. What "System passwords" means is that when the boot menu item is selected, a password is needed to boot. What "Protection" means is that boot menu will not display the partition label and is booted by a secret key press. Important: The "FAT/NTFS hiding map" code is "01" for Partition 1, and "10" for Partition 2.(5) Press F10 to save settings, and Y to confirm. Hit any key to restart. Remove floppy.

You can use MasterBooter to set everything up at no cost.
Thanks b2 - you're a gem - but I already went out an got Symantec Partition Magic 8... and itdidn't work :lol: I'll follow your guide next, but first here's what I did (wrong, probably)1. Installed XP pro to my entire 80 Gig in one partition.2. Installed and ran Partition Magic 8.3. Created another 40 gig Primary "F:".4. Ran PQBoot for windows.5. Set to boot from active primary with XP on it (Because at this point you can't set the other one (F:).6. Reboot.7. Now, set boot to second new partition (F:).8. Restart.9. After POST, get: "NTLDR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart."10. Boot from XP CD. Start new install.11. Says. "Windows can't be installed on this partition. Format or delete the partitionand then install."12. Try to format. NO GO.13. Delete then format. OK.14. Install Second XP. OK.15. Reboot - but no boot option - where's XP #1?16. In XP #2, install PM 8 - but can't get access to XP #1.17. Try Recovery, fixmbr, fixboot, screwed the pooch - time for a drink.18. Earl Grey, warm milk, half tsp sugar.19. Back to square one.

Hold on. Let's use PM 8 (since you've paid for it). Let me think through the process first. In the meantime, download this boot manager:http://www.osloader.com/download.htmif you don't want a FAT partition to house your boot manager. If you have BootMagic, you can use that, too, but it will require a small FAT partition. Installing the boot manager will come after we have installed both Windows XP.

This a an 80gb-disk, right? So, you need 2 primary partitions of 40gb (more or less) each. Using PM8, you must first resize that 80-gb partition to 40gb (you won't lose data), and in the freed, unallocated space after, create the second 40-gb (PRIMARY not logical) partition. (1) Select Partition1, right-click and select/click RESIZE/MOVE in context menu. Enter these data: Free Space Before: 0.0 MB New Size: 40000.0 MB Free Space After: (Leave as PM calculates)Click OK button.(2) Just beneath Partition1 will be "Unallocated Space". Select that disk space, right-click and select/click CREATE in context menu. Enter these data: Create as: Primary Partition (click drop-down menu button to set) Partition Type: NTFS (click drop-down menu button to set) Label: (any name to mark the partition, ex: xp2) Size: (Leave as PM calculates) Cluster size: Default (that is 4KB) NTFS Version: 3.1 (Windows XP)Click OK button., and then the APPLY button. Let PM8 do its work. After restart, run PM8 to verify that you have successfully created Partition2. If you can see the two PINK bars, you should then proceed to HIDE Partition1, and set Partition2 to ACTIVE. (1) To hide Partition1, select/right-click on it, and select/click ADVANCED>HIDE PARTITION in the context menu. Click OK button.(2) To set Partition2 as the active primary partition, do the same but choose ADVANCED>SET ACTIVE. Click OK and then APPLY button to let PM8 do its work.Restart, load your XP CD and boot from it. Install to C: (make sure it is Partition2, labelled "xp2" or whatever, and that Partition1 is hidden). If you get any warning that the install might not be bootable for crossing some boundaries, ignore it and proceed.After installation of XP on Partition2, install OSL2000. It involves unzipping setup files to a folder (best if you can copy the folder to a CD before partitioning), and running SETUP.EXE. You will be prompted to reboot, and at restart you will get the boot menu. Advanced partition hiding is set by F6 (Options), I think.

Edited by b2cm

I'll just add this to the discussion -- a bootup with any linux live-cd will get you access to cfdisk, a general-purpose partitioning tool -- that makes partitioning ahead of an install [of any sort] trivially easy. You can make 4 primary parts if you want, and can even set them all bootable if you like.And it's free! Partition first, then tell XP to install to existing partitions.

Hold on. Let's use PM 8 (since you've paid for it). Let me think through the process first.
Thanks again b2. I'll try your PM 8 method and report back.
I'll just add this to the discussion -- a bootup with any linux live-cd will get you access to cfdisk, a general-purpose partitioning tool
Man. And I have a Knoppix 3.9 CD in my software collection. Never occured to me.

b2, there was a problem. Here's what I did:1. Installed Windows XP to entire HD.2. Installed and ran PM 8.3. Followed your guide up to

(1) To hide Partition1, select/right-click on it, and select/click ADVANCED>HIDE PARTITION in the context menu. Click OK button.
Here, after selecting ADVANCED, there is no Hide Partition option, only Change Drive Letter andResize Clusters. The Hide Partition option is greyed out.(I'm assuming Partition 1 is my installed Windows XP partition).

Three things you can choose to do (if the first doesn't work, try the next):1. Try to hide Partition 1 and set Partition 2 active by booting from PM8 DOS disks (pre-OS), and at restart install XP to Partition 2 (assuming the hide/set active operation worked).2. Boot from a dos disk, and run EFDISK.EXE (from MasterBooter) to hide Partition 1 (select Partition 1 and press H) and set Partition 2 active (select Partition 2 and press SPACEBAR). Press F10 to rewrite MBR accordingly, restart, load XP CD and install. [Recommended]3. With PM8, you can DELETE Partition 2 and COPY Partition 1 to unallocated space (where Partition2 used to be). Boot XP on Partition 1, and edit BOOT.INI file on "D:" (Partition 2, unhidden) with Notepad: from "... multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS...." to "... multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS...."Then install OSL2000, reboot, set auto-hide (F3), timer (F2) at the boot menu.

Edited by b2cm

Thanks b2cm. Got it - at last. Phew. I used your #2

2. Boot from a dos disk, and run EFDISK.EXE (from MasterBooter) to hide Partition 1 (select Partition 1 and press H) and set Partition 2 active (select Partition 2 and press SPACEBAR). Press F10 to rewrite MBR accordingly, restart, load XP CD and install. [Recommended]
Just one thing though, for anybody following this and doing the same: To get EFDISK.EXE you needto download a utility called mrboot. This can be confusing because, when for example you go herehttp://www.programmersheaven.com/zone16/cat911/27677.htmto download it, they call it MasterBooter 3.4 not mrboot.Also, be careful typing "masterbooter" too: a couple of wrong keystrokes and you might get more than you bargained for :thumbsup: Edited by sarah Tu

You can do the same thing with Partition Magic's DOS utility, ptedit.exe, that comes on the DOS Recovery Diskettes. It provides a graphical layout of the partition table. All you have to do is change the partition ID to hide the partition, which I believe is hex value 17. 07 is the ID for NTFS.