• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:31 AM

Links?As in http://www.apple.com?I just went exploring from there and added a ton of gadgets to my dashboard.  Now off to play with games.  I'm having fun!As in pictures?
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#27 OFFLINE   bjf123

bjf123

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:04 AM

View Postteacher, on Aug 8 2006, 07:59 PM, said:

I did not realize there was so much open source software for Mac nor that there were so many programs that came with a Mac.
That's one of the common misconceptions regarding Macs, no software.  I think I'm a pretty typical computer user, and I've been able to find a Mac program for everything I've wanted to do.  Some, I've had to buy, while others have been open source / freeware.  Just wait until you want to remove a program from your Mac.  Unlike Windows, there's no Add / Remove program routine to go through that invariably asks if you want to delete some obscure file that "might" be needed by some other program.  Want to delete a program?  Simply drag its icon from your Applications folder to the trash.  Gone!  There might be a prefs file in Library > Preferences that you can also drag to the trash.  That's it.  All traces of the program are gone.  Some programs have an uninstall routine, but it's pretty rare.  For example, if you don't like Safari (Apple's browser), drag the icon to the trash to remove it.  Try that with Internet Explorer on your XP system.If you're curious what might be coming from Apple, watch Steve Jobs' keynote address from WWDC 06.  You can watch it here.  It's just over an hour 20 minutes long, but well worth the time.
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

#28 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:42 AM

Thanks.  I will have to take a look at that.  I hav e been reading bits and pieces here and there.  Right now I am busy learning..... Amazing.  Today I learned a bit about different boot options and what to do if it does not boot right (after trying a Linux distro).  I had to figure out to hold down the option key with the power key to get it back to booting from the hard drive.  B)
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#29 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:18 AM

I'll do some searching. My nephew, who lived in Alburqurque and just moved to Oregon has an Apple notebook. He is a struggling artist (as in very little money) so when I find things to help him, I send emails. A few months back, I sent him cheap ISPs that were posted as reliable on Freedomlist (why spend $15/month when you can find an ISP fo $5/month or $8/month that is reliable?). I didn't know how to set up a DUN on an Apple but I researched and sent him step by step directions so he didn't have to download software to connect. Now I'll look for some good free items to add to his notebook and email him some more links.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#30 OFFLINE   bjf123

bjf123

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:03 AM

A great place to look for freeware / shareware programs for the Mac is Version Tracker.
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

#31 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:38 PM

Cool site!  Thanks for sharing.
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#32 OFFLINE   bjf123

bjf123

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:15 PM

View Postteacher, on Aug 9 2006, 09:42 AM, said:

Today I learned a bit about different boot options and what to do if it does not boot right (after trying a Linux distro).  I had to figure out to hold down the option key with the power key to get it back to booting from the hard drive.  :hmm:
You can also boot from your OS X CD/DVD by holding the C key while the system boots.  From here, you can run some disk utilities that could help recover from a problem.

#33 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:52 PM

That was in the back of my brain from repairing Macs at my sister's school.  The Mac is the only computer where I have had to use a hammer to align the frame to put the case back on where a special needs child threw it across the room.  Once I had the case back on it started right up without any problems.  That was something.  :)I tried all the different keyboard combinations but what I really wanted was to go back to the hard drive boot as I had tested a live CD to see what would happen.  :hmm:
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users