regarding Raspberry Pi

wa4chq

Greetings all. I have a few Raspberry Pi's. I think I've read that a few of you here may also have a Raspi. I have one that I use to spot planes. With one of the other Pi's, I'd like to log into it without using WiFi...ethernet cable?? I don't have a real need to be able to do this but it has been puzzling me for over a year.....ok, puzzling = obsessed.

Raspi owners, what do you do with yours?

I have a few friends in my area that know about Linux but are too scared to mess with it. I've mentioned a good way to give it a try without hosing their dedicated pc is to play with a Raspberry Pi.

Have a good Thursday evening.

securitybreach

Greetings all. I have a few Raspberry Pi's. I think I've read that a few of you here may also have a Raspi. I have one that I use to spot planes. With one of the other Pi's, I'd like to log into it without using WiFi...ethernet cable?? I don't have a real need to be able to do this but it has been puzzling me for over a year.....ok, puzzling = obsessed

Just set up ssh on the RPi and ssh into it. Any time that I set up a new Pi, the first thing that I do is install/start ssh, then disconnect the display and remote back into it.

have a few friends in my area that know about Linux but are too scared to mess with it. I've mentioned a good way to give it a try without hosing their dedicated pc is to play with a Raspberry Pi.

I think loading up a usb or dvd with a linux distro will give them a better impression of Linux than running it on a machine with only 1gb of ram.

I edited the post to answer the second part.

• Like 1

Hey SB...I can SSH into pi from my lappy when I'm using wifi. Are you saying I can still SSH to Pi without wifi?

...forgot to thank you for the speedy reply :teehee:

• Like 1

securitybreach

Hey SB...I can SSH into pi from my lappy when I'm using wifi. Are you saying I can still SSH to Pi without wifi?

Of course not, it needs a network connection to be able to reach it ;)

Right....I want to be able to connect to when I don't have internet....maybe using an ethernet cable????......I have no problems SSHing to it when using wifi....

securitybreach

tnx for t

The link....I've seen that before. But it mentions Bon Jour and Apple/Windows......I have neither....

Ah ok, I didn't read through it. I can find you another one.

BTW Avahi can be used for bonjour protocol support under linux.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16040128/hook-up-raspberry-pi-via-ethernet-to-laptop-without-router

Those are instructions for Ubuntu

• Like 1

securitybreach

Tnx SB....will take a look at it later. Am over my folks making dinner for them.....

Later...

Great, enjoy the food and company :thumbsup:

tnx for t

The link....I've seen that before. But it mentions Bon Jour and Apple/Windows......I have neither....

Ah ok, I didn't read through it. I can find you another one.

BTW Avahi can be used for bonjour protocol support under linux.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16040128/hook-up-raspberry-pi-via-ethernet-to-laptop-without-router

Those are instructions for Ubuntu

SB...This link looks promising. In fact, reading the comments show other possible solutions. I'm going have a better look and try some of the suggestions when I'm at the library later today. Tnx.

• Like 1

I need to give this Pi stuff up....and just settle for plane spotting.... I was all set to do some serious Pi stuff at the local public library. To start the day off, I realized I forgot my ethernet cable. So I stopped off at Ollies (store with overstocked items) and bought a 25ft one for $3.50. After a few more stops, I headed to the library. I had an extra micro SD card and did a fresh install of Raspbian Buster-Lite and setup for headless mode. For the life of me I could not find Pi (scanning with Fing as an app on my phone). I would love to know how much time over the past few years I've wasted playing with Raspberry Pi....lol >_< :alien: .

securitybreach

I am confused... why would fing show your pi??? Try looking on your router or connect a display to the Pi to get the IP address.

The whole point of going headless is, I may not have a hdmi cable or display handi or spare keyboard. And I normally don't set Pi up with a static IP. So after booting, I use Fing to show the router I'm connected to and the users along with their IP addresses. If I didn't make a typo setting up the headless Pi, I see it along with the other devices. I read about the app Fing a few years ago. Seems to work for me. Are we talking about the same Fing?

Edited by wa4chq

securitybreach

So how do you plan on connecting back to it if you don't know the IP address and SSH is not running

I've always set up the Pi with a screen, then got the IP address and started ssh. Then unplug the video and ssh into the Pi.

I normally don't have a problem doing this. I read that sd cards could be an issue if they are old or generic brands etc. I could have made a typo when writing "ssh" or the "wpa_supplicant.conf" file. It's not connecting to library server. It connected fine when I was using the internet at my folks. When I got to the library yesterday, I did a fresh buster-lite install to another sd card because editing /etc/wpa-supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf on the sd card I used the day before yesterday...the one working with my folks wifi, didn't work.

Edited by wa4chq

OK....Over at my folks visiting. Plugged in Pi and using Fing, I see "raspberrypi" and I'm logged in now. So there is something like a typo or could it be something to do with security at the library? Checking for typos now....

Just looked and I believe I found the problem. I won't know if it's solved until the next visit. Connecting to the internet from my lappy I use wicd-curses. It only shows what's in site now. I'm sure there's a file that shows connections I use but for now I just used "nm-connection-editor". In plain site I saw "Public Library Internet 2.4GHz" and the other servers I connect to. The wpa-supplicant.conf file on Pi I had the ssid for the library as "Public Library Internet".

OK, now to focus on the original mystery.....attaching Pi to lappy with an ethernet cable and ssh'ing to it without wifi. Will be trying the suggestions used in the link you shared, SB.

Edited by wa4chq
  • Like 1