New iPods

SonicDragon

SonicDragon
New iPods!The new features include an updated scroll wheel which looks like the iPod Mini scroll wheel. They are also slightly slimmer and have a higher battery life. Complete list of iPod features:
    *  Keep up to 10,000 songs in your pocket    * Use it with Mac OS X or Windows 2000/XP    * Take it everywhere — it’s only 5.6 ounces    * Find songs fast with the NEWApple Click Wheel    * NEWListen longer with up to 12 hours* battery life    * NEWShuffle songs in the main menu    * Play MP3, AAC and Apple Lossless    * Jog without fear — 25 minutes of skip protection    * NEWSave multiple On-The-Go Playlists    * NEWAdjust speed for Audiobooks    * Enjoy seamless integration with iTunes    * NEWSync and charge via included FireWire or USB 2.0 cables    * Use as a portable hard drive — take your files with you    * Remind yourself with Text Notes    * Play games on-the-go    * Keep appointments using the Alarm clock/Sleep Timer    * Stay organized with contacts/calendars/to-do lists    * NEWBenefit from more language support    * Record voice notes (with accessory)    * Store photos (with accessory)    * Choose from hundreds of cool accessories designed just for iPod

Yup.Over the weekend, Newsweek broke the story of the new 4th Generation iPod. >> My Precious (iPod)!My take:Sorry Apple, I'm not going to bite this time. While I love the new features, and the click wheel (the best thing I like about the iPod mini); I'm just not going to spend $399 on another 40GB iPod when my 3rd Gen 40GB is working very nicely. Why spend $399 on another 40GB when I have a 40GB? If they announced that there was a 60GB model, then there wouldn't be any question.But there is one more issue. Anyone with an iPod knows it can easily be scratched... and like many, I take great care to minimize damage; but it's simply unavoidable... And seeing as how case manufactures will need some time to make new models; maybe a 60GB version will be out by then.It's also going to be interesting to see if Apple is going to stiff their current 3rd Gen iPod owners by not providing a firmware update; to enable the new menu options of the 4th Gen on the 3rd Gen. Apple don't piss off the current 3rd Gen owners... >> 4th Generation iPod, On sale now.

SonicDragon

Yup, i also am a third gen owner and am definately not going to buy a new one.But, hopefully they will do their job in luring new owners in :rolleyes:

Well, since you are a iPod owner... I guess I should work on that tutorial on how to transfer your music from your (windows formatted) iPod to your Mac... I helped LLFan, but never got around to writing up the directions like I had planned.That is, unless you have other means to get your music over to your new computer when it arrives. :rolleyes:

SonicDragon

I'm not sure what i'm planning to do with the music. I just might leave it on this *shrug*. All depends on where i put these speakers / if there is room for them with the G5. :PPlus... i have like 8 gigs of music and the iPod is pc formatted... so it's definately a rainy day project ;)Thanks :rolleyes:

SonicDragon

Good to hear :DIs it easier / better to take the music off the iPod and into the Mac or just like drop the music folder on the pc to the mac... via USB would probably be faster than network...

I'm not sure if you drag-and-drop your music folder if it will cary over your stats and ratings, et all. There is a shareware app called iPodRip (that can be used a few times before it is required to registered) that you can use to extract the songs and info from the iPod to your Mac.________________Well, I figured this was going to happen... Apple isn't giving the new 4th Gen "click wheel" firmware options to the 3rd Gen iPod users. Typical of Apple to piss off current hardware owners.

Good to hear :DIs it easier / better to take the music off the iPod and into the Mac or just like drop the music folder on the pc to the mac... via USB would probably be faster than network...
Actually, the network would be faster.I'd much prefer NFS over Samba, but NFS is probably going to pose a problem in Windows. Samba, here, would only give me about 40Mbps of bandwidth over the 100Mbps network we have, while NFS goes right up to 70-80Mbps--which is really about the maximum possible on a 100Mbps link, due to TCP overhead and other factors.USB (v1.1) is going to give you around 12Mbps of bandwidth. USB (v2) will be faster than a 100Mbps network.Using your network will defiantely be a better choice, if USB (v1.1) is the USB standard you are going to use.

OR you could use your iPod with Firewire and get the songs off of it that way...One way or another a decision has to be made, loose the extra info (play counts, ratings, playlists) or transfer over everything.

UPDATED: 02:53 PMNo 60GB iPod "anytime soon"Could Apple be hitting back at Toshiba for leaking news the news that Apple placed an order for Toshiba's new 60GB? Remember folks, Jobs' doesn't take things lightly when someone leaks a product release... remember the ATI snafu?Anyway, Greg Joswiak, vice president of hardware product marketing at Apple, told Reuters that "We have no plans in regard to announcing 60-gigabyte models. We are trying to create a much more compelling lineup with two models for 20 and 40 gigabytes at extremely compelling prices."I think thats just BS. I bet they are just waiting for two reasons: 1) Wait and see how the new 4th Gen models sell, 2) Waiting for a large enough supply of Toshiba, or other brand of 60GB HD to ship in mass.>> 4th Generation iPod, On sale now. [updated]

SonicDragon

Joswiak - WozniakWozniak - JoswiakJoswiak - WozniakWozniak - JoswiakJoswiak - WozniakWozniak - JoswiakJoswiak - WozniakWozniak - JoswiakJoswiak - Wozniak*spins around, falls on floor*

SonicDragon

Have you seen this story?

As part of a pilot program, Duke University plans to give iPods loaded with school calendars and other information to its 1,800 incoming freshmen. Students can download class materials to listen to anything from audio examples of textbook exercises to Spanish songs.
:) :url: Reuters Link

SonicDragon
Don't feel so bad, the honor students at my college are getting a wifi dorm and new laptops for being honor students.
Sweet :P