Scot's Latest Newsletter

bjf123

If you haven't read the newsletter sent today, it looks like Scot is coming over from the Dark Side, or joining the Dark Side, depending on your point of view. ;) Come on in, the water's fine! ;)

I plan to dive in right behind Scot as soon as Leopard comes out. Hopefully the Mac Mini will be upgraded by then as well. I've long been a Scot Finnie fan boy and his assessment of Mac is a large part of my decision to switch and become a Mac fan boy as well.

Edited by dtb57

All I can say is the more the merrier. I don't regret my switch a bit. Our lone pc has not even been turned on for updates. Since December it has been turned on once in search of a file. How's that for a family conversion?I think Scot got it right when he indicated he had decided it was better to spend a bit up front and get something great. It sure took long enough. B)

I'm with Liz...I want no part of Vista in my house. I agree with Scot's assessment although I haven't used Vista...It's Microsoft that I'm wanting to go away from.For now, my solid and acceptable installation of XP Pro (can I mention those terms here in ATM?? ;-) ) will last for another couple years until my hardware gets stale (already 4 years old) or XP loses support.Then....we may be looking into Macbooks for my wife and me. It'll be a while due to the cost of an Apple product, but it's something I'm gonna look into. I'll need to spend some time in that small corner of CompUSA dedicated to Macs.

The most inexpensive route might be the Mac Mini. Since you can use your own keyboard, monitor, mouse, etc., the price is not too outrageous. Keep the XP Pro going as long as you can. No need to spend the money before you need it! That will give more time to save the pennies. B)

Well, I have switched from Windows to Linux long time ago but now I am contemplating of switching from Linux to Mac.I am happy with Linux as is, especially with all 3D stuff that's coming but my problem is time and work.As is, I spend 95% of the time at work on Mac and 5% is on Unix and Windows.I have to manage myself better with all kinds of ongoing projects and part of work going with me home.I am tired of switching back and forth and just need some consistency. It is not easy keeping up with all the changes on all three platforms and being 100% compatible all the time so one Macbook pro would cover all my angles, for both work and pleasure.I will wait for Leopard and possibly new Macbook Pro with Led based LCD.Innovation is obviously on Apple side and Vista is sorry excuse for a system with all the major features abandoned to make it out. I played with it the other day and even visual features that were cloned from Mac are poorly done.I think Scot's good example, it is only mater of getting somebody to try Mac for a while, couple of months and they would converted for sure, it is that better. B)

The way I see it is there are a lot of people who would like to use OS X but can't because they use Windows for work (or gaming, or whatever the reason is). Now, with Boot Camp (and Parallels) that excuse melts away, and so people are free to use OS X as their main OS, but go back to Windows when needed. I also have a sneaky suspicion that over time the "need" for Windows will disappear, as more and more of OS X itself is explored and alternate programs are found. Without a very compelling reason, I'll probably never buy a "PC" again. If I need or want Windows, I can always install it and use it.

Will Parallels allow me to install 2K? I'm not sure if it just allows the newer versions of windows.At the moment with 3 computers running 2K I don't see the need but these computers aren't getting any younger and as I farm them out and replace them with Macs, I'll still want to be able to use some windows software (no not AV, malware detectors, trojan detectors nor firewalls but card printing program, WordPerfect and an occassional doc or xls file).

Will Parallels allow me to install 2K? I'm not sure if it just allows the newer versions of windows.At the moment with 3 computers running 2K I don't see the need but these computers aren't getting any younger and as I farm them out and replace them with Macs, I'll still want to be able to use some windows software (no not AV, malware detectors, trojan detectors nor firewalls but card printing program, WordPerfect and an occassional doc or xls file).
I think Parallels and Boot Camp are only for XP, but I'm not completely sure. I don't know about Word Perfect, but MS Office for the Mac handles the doc and xls files with no problem. I use it on my Mac and take files back and forth to my XP system at work with no problem.

It looks like it will run any version of Windows, at least back to 3.1 or even DOS 6.22. II bet the list of Linux aps is not all inclusive either. I am sure it would work with any live CD as well. :thumbsup:

Thanks roger2002, that answers my question. Parallels looks to be a great choice.When I checked the hardware requirements

Support on any Intel-powered iMac, Mac Mini, MacBook, and MacBook Pro.
Edited by zlim

Guest LilBambi

That's great news about Parallels.As you all know, I have changed my main computer to the new PPC Mac Mini I got for Christmas and I don't reget one minute of it.I still use Windows and Linux too. I love the choices!I agree fully with Scot's assessment as well.

Looking at Scot's last newsletter I was curious about the web browser section. I am now testing Omniweb. I like what I see so far. It has an icon up at the top that lets you decide exactly how you want each individual web site handled. It was easy to go in and to tell it what to permit and what not for here. I'm off now to test it on other sites. Since Firefox stopped the portion that allowed blocking of cookies from external sites I have not been very happy with it. So far the only thing I am missing is the absence of the spellchecker with Omni. I must explore more to see if it is there.

I'm keeping an index card with Mac utilities and I have marked as browser choices Camino, FF and OmniWeb with avoids for Safari and Opera based on Scot's article. That way, I'll be ready to try what others suggest as good choices.

zlim . . .I have a MacBook with the latest version of Parallels and I have been running Windows 2000 Pro on it for 6 months. No problems at all. It boots incredibly fast, runs great and does networking, internet, USB, CDRW, printing, etc. without a hitch. Go for it.Buckster