Scot's Heading into MacLand -- at least, for a while

Scot

Calling All Mac Mavens!This is a note to the ATM faithful and Mac experts who can help. I've just gotten my company to give me a MacBook Pro 15 with all our company software on it, and I've also just purchased (but am waiting for) a MacBook Pro 17 Core 2 Duo machine. I'm going to try to live with the Mac for a while, and see whether that's possible and how I feel about Windows XP, Windows Vista, and the Mac after that process.I could use the help of Mac folks on software. I'm using the latest version of Office and Lotus Notes for the Mac. I have to figure out these things:1. Should I run Eudora, which is critical for me, in Parallels on the Mac? Or should I try to convert to Eudora on the Mac. Anyone who's ever converted from Windows Eudora to Mac Eudora, I could really use help. That migration path doesn't look that simple. I also need to be able to go back if I choose to go that way. It's important to me to bring my mail, filters, and address book with me. If it can't be done, it would just be good to know that.2. I need software recommendations for these things (my Windows preferences in parentheses):FTP client (CuteFTP) -- Someone suggested Transit by Panic?HTML editor (HomeSite)IM client (AOL Instant Messenger) -- I really like iChat, but I hate that it doesn't support AIM folder groupings.RSS FeedReader (FeedDemon) -- not interested in RSS servicesText Editor (Edit+) -- BBEdit or the new free version?Email (Eudora) -- Is there a Mac program besides Eudora that has kick-butt rules?Antispam utility (Spamnix for Eudora)Anti-spyware (Spy Sweeper) -- I know I don't have to rush on this.DVD Burning Software (Nero) -- Do I even need?Screen capture utility (SnagIt) -- the built in Mac tools are too simplistic for meCompression tool (WinZIP) -- must handle zip, but would be great if also handled .rarRSS Feed Creation Tool (ListGarden)System Analysis Tool (BelArc) -- I know about the Mac's built in tool, but is there more?3. Utility Software. I have found a partitioning utility I like for the Mac. I also really like the Parallels virtualization tool. But I could use help with selecting other utilities. Not only do I not know which ones I want, I'm not as fully aware of what ones I truly need. The Mac file system, for example, seems to be less in need of a defrag tool than the Windows file systems. True? What is the quintessential utility kit I need? What onboard tools (besides Disk Utility and System Profiler) should I be aware of?Thanks for any help or insight you can provide.-- Scot

Hi Scot.....First off, thanks for this forum, and second, although I have no idea what you'll want or need, I'll be watching this thread closely because I am deliberating on the same thing.... to switch or not to switch...... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I can't really help on very many of those (I don't use an email client, I just use Gmail). The only IM client I use is Adium. It's based on gaim, so if you don't like gaim, you might not like Adium. How advanced are you talking with DVD burning? I haven't extensively tried to burn things, but the Burn Folders seem at least a little competent. As for the others, sorry, I don't use most of those things.As for your upcoming MBP, :) Those Core 2 Duos are amazing little processors. Just use Parallels/Boot Camp, and you'll be buying Macs for the rest of your life :clap:

Hi Scott. I know that our needs in computer software are extremely different and all choices in software are made for different reasons so I won't waste your time with personal recommendations. I have found Version Tracker to be a great resource. For example, the link above will take you directly to the FTP page where I have sorted the choices by user rating. I can tell you that the Mac does have pretty useful DVD burning and compression utilities built in. If your needs for DVD burning are bigger than what OSX can do, I think Roxio's Toast 7 is very similar to Nero. Most of the freeware and shareware programs are just repackaged versions of what OSX can natively do. Safari has built in RSS reader capabilities and I have found ONYX meets my needs as a system cleanup utility. I agree with steeler_fan that the ability to use especially Parallels will easy the transition greatly. I would think the ability to have an operating version of your old system running along side the new one would take a great deal of the pressure off.Good luck in the process! I know that I can't see a reason to go back to Windows.

I'm already a confirmed Parallels user. I own two other Macs. But I also use and like VMware under Windows, so I'll be looking at the Mac version too. Now that I'll have four Macs to diddle around with, I'll have the room to stretch out and try different things on different computers -- which is how I test under Windows.About the DVD burning, my major concern isn't media -- it's burning ISOs. That's all I really care about 90% of the time. I have found that most DVD/CD burning packages are totally focused on media burning, though. The latest version of Roxio under Windows conveniently left ISO burning out, so far as I can tell. Nero still has a dedicated separate utility for this under Windows.Obviously, I have to explore this functionality on the Mac.By the way, please feel free to give me your personal preferences! That's what I'm looking for. I'm still going to make up my own mind. But I value recommendations from people who have been there and done that.-- ScotI'm already a confirmed Parallels user. I own two other Macs. But I also use and like VMware under Windows, so I'll be looking at the Mac version too. Now that I'll have four Macs to diddle around with, I'll have the room to stretch out and try different things on different computers -- which is how I test under Windows.About the DVD burning, my major concern isn't media -- it's burning ISOs. That's all I really care about 90% of the time. I have found that most DVD/CD burning packages are totally focused on media burning, though. The latest version of Roxio under Windows conveniently left ISO burning out, so far as I can tell. Nero still has a dedicated separate utility for this under Windows.Obviously, I have to explore this functionality on the Mac.By the way, please feel free to give me your personal preferences! That's what I'm looking for. I'm still going to make up my own mind. But I value recommendations from people who have been there and done that.-- ScotP.S. Peachy, I just signed up for VMware.

I use either Magic ISO or ImgBurn (freeware)[works well in Vista] in windows. All they both do is burn ISOs. There must be something similar in the Mac world.

Hi Scot, I personally don't use many tools you need since I am using Mac for my professional needs that differ from yours, but from what I use, here is my favorites.Before anything, congrats on your Mac choice and I hope it works for you.I think that going "cold turkey" is much better than having any emulator.That will force you to find solution on that platform, rather than resort back to another platform, but I understand your desire to do so.1. IMHO, Eudora is much better on Mac than on Windows, but I am not heavy Eudora user.I tested it briefly on both platforms and formed such opinion from personal, limited exposure.2.Transit or Fetch. I used Transit in the past and I liked it, but company purchased Fetch, therefore I have to use it. Now I am finding that I like Fetch more but I did not test the latest version of Transit. I am on Fetch 5.1.5- I am sorry but I don't use HTML editors. -HTML editor - - Adium -IM client - Sage, extension for Firefox ( this is what I used before switching to Bloglines and than to Google reader) - RSS FeedReader (FeedDemon) -- not interested in RSS services- BBEdit ot Text edit for basic needs -Text Editor (Edit+) -- BBEdit or the new free version?- I am sorry but I briefly used Eudora and now I am using Mail (comes bundled) and Domino Web access (my company is cheap so they did not buy Email client) - (Eudora) -- Is there a Mac program besides Eudora that has kick-butt rules?- I don't use anything like it - Antispam utility (Spamnix for Eudora)- I don't use anything like it nor I see need for such tool on Mac - Anti-spyware (Spy Sweeper) -- I know I don't have to rush on this.- Basic burning is ok with embedded system tool and I think you can even burn ISO images but for any serious burning, Roxio Toast rocks. It's much better than windows version. - DVD Burning Software (Nero) -- Do I even need?- Snapz Pro is cheap utillity and you have added functionallity to capture movies as well (camtasia like) but it's not as advanced as windows version. - Screen capture utility (SnagIt) -- the built in Mac tools are too simplistic for me- Stuffit Deluxe handles both zip and rar as well as defacto stadard .sit on the Mac - Compression tool (WinZIP) -- must handle zip, but would be great if also handled .rar- I don't use it - RSS Feed Creation Tool (ListGarden)- I don't use it - System Analysis Tool (BelArc) -- I know about the Mac's built in tool, but is there more?3. For utillities, my favourite tool is ONYX, free and does the job.I am aware of many others both free and not but ONYX is the best. Of course original OS DVD is great for booting up from it and fixing any problem.Drives don't fragment almost at all so I have never have need for defrag tool.Just to point out that I've been using Mac's for last 9 years and mostly professionally at work but recently I purchased Macbook for home too and guess what is going to be my next purchase ... Macbook pro but I'll wait for new system, next year.Good luck and I hope I helped a bit, Mac is fantastic platform and I hope it gains a momentum.

Scot, come on in; the Mac water's great! :thumbsup: I don't have the same needs as you, but here are some of my favorites. I like Cyberduck for the FTP client. I've also used Captain FTP. I just use the built in Mail, but don't need powerful filtering like you have in Eudora. Stuffit Deluxe is great for file compression. For DVD burning, I use Roxio's Toast. I remember reading somewhere that SnagIt is coming out with a Mac version. Anti-spyware program? On a Mac? :hysterical:

Zox and Bjf123, thanks for the suggestions. They are very helpful. And I welcome those of anyone else too!But about antispyware, remember that to a great extent, spyware is browser based, not operating system based. How long before spyware folks start targeting Firefox, which is a multiplatform product? (Some market research companies place Firefox market penetration as just under 20% now.) What I want to know is, what security software is there for the Mac (if any)? I'm far less concerned about AV, and I'm not really concerned about either. But I don't think anyone -- Windows, Mac, or Linux user -- should be 100% complacent about scripted malware.My $0.02.-- Scot

One security program I like for the Mac is Little Snitch. It's an outbound traffic monitor. Here's another one that looks interesting, but I've never used it. It's called MacScan and is designed "to detect, isolate and remove spyware, keystroke loggers, Trojans, and bring awareness to remote administration type applications which could have been maliciously or inadvertently installed on your Macintosh." I'll probably give this one a try.

Edited by bjf123

I'm a little late to the party. I've been on the road for three days. I have had no problems burning ISO images using the built in burner. Antivirus: Clam Text Editor. If you are looking for a command line then Nano is built in I've read but I can't recall needing to use it. Other programs I like: X-Chat Aqua. That is my main chat program. In Linux I prefer KSirc but here it is X-Chat. It just works.What I would not recommend: Audacity for Mac has been a poor experience for me but I loved it on Linux. Perhaps it is better now because it was in beta when I played with it.I am not thrilled with the mail program but it works. Be very cautious importing address books to match up your fields or you will end up with garbage.i prefer the Firefox browser to Safari due to the ad filtering capability.RSS: I have just used what is possible with Firefox.IM: I use the iChat and have tweaked it to suit me. I would prefer something similar to Trillian but it does all I need.

FWIW, I downloaded the 15 day trial version of MacScan I mentioned above. After running it, it found no instances of spyware. Does that mean none exist for the Mac? Who knows.

Guest LilBambi

Congrats Scot! Sounds like some awesome Macs you got there!I will not have any useful info regarding Mac OS X since I don't have a computer that will run it. But, I was recently given a Teal/Aqua iMac G3 (one of the originals). Topic on that is here:http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=16901

Edited by LilBambi

• 1 month later...
Jeremy Avalon

FTP client-- Transit should be just fine.HTML editor-- Do you actually mean to code the pages, or do you just need a site builder? If the former, tacosw.com has Taco HTML Edit (also does PHP), which is just a code editor, or if you need the latter, then iWeb ought to do fine.IM client-- Adium. adiumx.com Best for everything (literally) except it doesn't do A/V chat. Yet.Text Editor (Edit+) -- BBEdit or the new free version?-- Depends on how powerful you need it. I actually still use stock TextEdit, though evidently you need something with more kick. BBEdit Lite should really do everything you need.... Actually, come to think of it, Taco HTML Edit seems to have the basics of Edit+, and it's free. So I'd recommend getting both Taco and BBEdit Lite.Email (Eudora) -- Is there a Mac program besides Eudora that has kick-butt rules?-- Probably Thunderbird. Haven't personally used it, but it comes highly reccommended.Anti-spyware (Spy Sweeper) -- I know I don't have to rush on this.Well... All I can offer on this is that I recently ran Virex on my six-year-old PowerBook, after having not checked it for its entire life, and it turned up nothing.DVD Burning Software (Nero) -- Do I even need?Toast works okay for me. What you need kinda depends on what you need to burn.Screen capture utility (SnagIt) -- the built in Mac tools are too simplistic for me-- Exactly how heavy are your screen capture needs? If you don't need to do the editing within the program (and you shouldn't if you have GIMP, Photoshop, or equivalent), Ambrosia's Snapz Pro X 2 will do excellently. http://ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/Compression tool (WinZIP) -- must handle zip, but would be great if also handled .rar-- Isn't this built-in to the operating system? "Right"-click (control-click if they're still shipping with one-button mice) and "Create Archive of (this file)." Instant .zip! .rar would require other tools though.What onboard tools (besides Disk Utility and System Profiler) should I be aware of?-- You should be aware of Terminal, since your article indicates you're using a lot of the UNIX underpinnings. You should be able to do anything that requires the command line with a terminal and a few sudo commands.