Newsletter

teacher

It looks like it is official! Scot is looking at jumping ship to the Mac! I wish I could wait like he is and get the 17" inch MacBook Pro when it comes out with the dual 2 core in it:

Mac Fanboy? Fair warning to all you dyed-in-the-wool Windows wonks: I'm having visions of jumping ship. I will never give up my Windows expertise, which I've spent years amassing. But I'm budgeting for my third Mac, a MacBook Pro 17 when OS X Leopard comes out next year.
What do you think? Are you dreaming of the MacBook Pro he is saving his pennies to buy? I know I am going to be jealous. Oh well, I will get to play with my little one for a few months before he gets his. Are you Windows free? Completely? I plan to be, just as soon as the promos come out with the tax and quicken bundles. I think I will use hubby's shuttle until then for Quicken rather than shell out $60 for the Mac Quicken 2007 when I know there will be all sorts of deals in less than 120 days. Any words of advice for Scot? If you are completely Windows free, what do you use for all your programs?

At home, I'm Windows free with two exceptions. I need my Windows box for running Quicken and Quickbooks. Other than once a week when I use both progams, the Windows box sits there doing nothing but crunching cancer research data for Team Discovery. Everything else I do is on my Macs.

Personally I'd give up the Windows' expertise, it'll be outdated soon enough and you'd do a lot better learning all the Mac stuff (and Linux of course). :blink:

I wish I could give up Windows expertise, but it is very necessary if one is teaching Windows. Greengeek, I love your signature. You claim sanity. Wonderful. Where I qualify depends upon your perspective. My Quicken plans are to run it on hubby's computer until December when they have the sales with quicken/turbotax combinations and then I will buy. I can not see paying $60 now for the download version from Intuit.

How much detail do you keep in Quicken? If you're using it for basic bill paying and expense tracking, the Mac version could be OK. If you're doing online bill paying, tracking investments, retirement accounts, etc., you could have problems moving to the Mac version. Here and here are a couple of threads from a Quicken for Mac support forum that describes what I mean. I'd hate for you to buy the Mac version and then find out it won't do what you need.

I have gone up with what I use in Quicken and I have gone now. I use it to track credit cards, savings, checking, stocks. The main thing is just downloading from the banks. :)

The main thing is just downloading from the banks. :)
From some of the things I've read, that's one of the key areas that doesn't function well in the Mac version. I think you need to still download the older style qif file and manually import it. I know one of my banks is going to stop offering qif files, as everyone (except Quicken for Mac :) ) is moving to the new ofx format.

I wish I could give up Windows expertise, but it is very necessary if one is teaching Windows.
How true!BTW Julia I want to thank you for not teaching children how to smoke cigarettes. :) The only thing I remember from my windows days is... format c: and some day I'll forget that too. :)

From some of the things I've read, that's one of the key areas that doesn't function well in the Mac version. I think you need to still download the older style qif file and manually import it. I know one of my banks is going to stop offering qif files, as everyone (except Quicken for Mac :) ) is moving to the new ofx format.According to this list I am in business. Quicken for Mac 2007 wants 1GB of HD space :icon8: but it looks like they have made some improvements.
How true!BTW Julia I want to thank you for not teaching children how to smoke cigarettes. :) The only thing I remember from my windows days is... format c: and some day I'll forget that too. :w00t:
Don't worry about that one. I would not for any money teach children how to smoke. I gladly will teach them about long-term impact, damage to environment, body, etc. if opportunity arises.I am slowly infiltrating the curriculum parts for my state and taking advantage of opportunities to teach about alternative operating systems. Last month I taught two sections on Linux to teachers from across the state. :hug: Next year it will be open source and operating systems for my two sessions. :wub:

Maybe Intuit is starting to get it right with Quicken 2007 for Mac. When you get started with it, please post how it goes. That could get me to move my Quicken to my Mac.

What the heck is Intuit thinking? :) I can't believe that Intuit's Chairman in on Apple's board, and has such poor support for their Mac product line.

What the heck is Intuit thinking? :) I can't believe that Intuit's Chairman in on Apple's board, and has such poor support for their Mac product line.
It sure did not make sense to me. I was expecting more out of Intuit. This is disappointing. The good news is that my bank is listed among the ones being supported. :) It says it has both kinds of support. :icon8: