Android in Windows

lewmur

ComputerWorld has an article today about a nice Windows program that allows you to run Android 4.4.2 as a Windows app. There is a caveat. You have to have an Intel CPU with Virtualization enabled.

I installed it on a laptop running Win7 64 bit with an Intel t7500 CPU dual core at 2.2ghz with 4gb ram. I followed the procedure to install Play Store before installing any additional apps. It is running great. Pretty much like running another OS in VM or VirtualBox. I installed a couple of apps from the Play Store and everything seems to work fine. Installed and ran the Antutu Benchmark app and the score was right up there with top of the line Android tablets. 32800 It even gives you a screen res to match whatever you have in Windows.

Now if they'd only get it to work with AMD chips!!!! :'( :'(

edit: This might even make a Windows 8 tablet worth having. :whistling:

Edited by lewmur
  • Like 1

Odd as I have been doing that for a few years now (running Android in Vbox).

Here is an article from 2 years ago:

http://www.maketeche...-in-virtualbox/

I remember trying the Vbox Android some time ago and it didn't work well at all. They may have improved it since then but I can say the DuOS solution works very well. If my laptop had a touch screen, I wouldn't be able to tell it from my Galaxy Note 2014.

I just made an image this morning, because after reading that article a few days ago, I decided I wanted to try it. There is a 30 day trial then DuOS-M costs $9.99.

Lewmur, did you install googleplay by running this? http://amiduos.com/nextsteps

Yes, and, as per the article, I did it before installing any apps from Amazon. Worked fine.

• Like 1

Well, I am embarrassed because I did not read very well. I attempted to install on my desktop. It has an AMD chip so I won't be trying it out. :>

My netbook is Intel but I have no desire to install on there.

Hello,

Interesting. AMIDuOS is from American Megatrends, which has been making BIOS firmware, along with the occasional motherboard and expansion card, for thirty years. I would certainly expect them to have considerable experience in developing solutions like this.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

The Microsoft Surface Pro 3 is a great Windows 8.1 tablet and with the Smart Cover turns into a not too shabby ultrabook. I've been testing them out at work the past couple of weeks. I'll actually miss them when I hand them off to our faculty. One of the neat features is the included Bluetooth stylus that launches Microsoft OneNote when you click the top of it like a retractable pen.

• Like 1

The Microsoft Surface Pro 3 is a great Windows 8.1 tablet and with the Smart Cover turns into a not too shabby ultrabook. I've been testing them out at work the past couple of weeks. I'll actually miss them when I hand them off to our faculty. One of the neat features is the included Bluetooth stylus that launches Microsoft OneNote when you click the top of it like a retractable pen.

For what a Surface Pro 3 cost, not even DuOS would make it worthwhile to me. Seems to me that MS is trying to out "snob appeal" Apple with this overpriced piece of bling. But I guess it would be fun to play with as part of your job.

• Like 1