Tablet security

zlim

I just got my first tablet, an Asus Memo 7" 2014 model with KitKat. Since this is my first experience with a touchscreen (we both have dumb phones which serve our needs perfectly) and using android, I know next to nothing about security.

1. I have no intention of rooting the tablet.

2. I intend to install very few apps. So far I've installed 6 from googleplay: a local news channel's weather app, FF for android (with noscript and ABP), VLC, Malwarebytes, Wifi Transfer and Candy Crush.

Since I've read that some of the googleplay apps are not what they appear to be, in particular a highly rated av app that actually installed malware on devices, I have selected no av app to install.

So any tips on keeping my tablet vermin free?

securitybreach

Use ESET and encrypt your tablet (Settings-Security). I have about 240 apps on my Nexus 7. If you only install apps from the market and use Eset, you will be completely safe. Google scans apps for malware/viruses and Eset scans every app installed.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

That's what I would do too but since I don't have a current Android tablet to play with, I was hoping you would come in and put your thoughts too.

I just got my first tablet, an Asus Memo 7" 2014 model with KitKat. Since this is my first experience with a touchscreen (we both have dumb phones which serve our needs perfectly) and using android, I know next to nothing about security.

1. I have no intention of rooting the tablet.

2. I intend to install very few apps. So far I've installed 6 from googleplay: a local news channel's weather app, FF for android (with noscript and ABP), VLC, Malwarebytes, Wifi Transfer and Candy Crush.

Since I've read that some of the googleplay apps are not what they appear to be, in particular a highly rated av app that actually installed malware on devices, I have selected no av app to install.

So any tips on keeping my tablet vermin free?

I currently own four tablets (trying to sell one) and haven't bothered with security on any of them. I only use them while I'm "out and about" connected to public wifi, so I assume them to be unsafe. Therefore, I don't use them for anything that I don't want compromised. No banking, no eBay, no credit card or Paypal purchases of any kind. Don't even use any sites, other than Google Voice, that require a password. And anyone who wants to steal my Google Voice password is welcome to it. :clap:

As I understand it, tablets running Android are generally safe, provided you are not installing apps from places other than the app store. You don't hear about virii getting into the Google Play Store often, and even less in the Apple App Store.

Tablets are generally pretty safe.

Adam

Guest LilBambi

That is true of most mobile OSes but really Android isn't the biggest problem. It's the Apps.

Google does what it can, but it's not a perfect eco system; none are.

And sometimes things get out there for a bit before they are caught.

Do your research no matter what store you buy from, even Google Play.

Back in Octber 2013, Play It Safe: Google Pulls Android Apps Tied To Dangerous Ad Platform

There is also ad blocking available for Android as well as I used AdBlock Plus, Josh uses Adblock I think.

I used a Titanium backup on mine but not sure if that is only for rooted Android. Maybe Josh can suggest one for non-rooted phones that's well known, is safe and does well.

That and encrypting your settings and using ESET Mobile Security is not overkill. Especially with a mobile device that could be attached to potentially dangerous networks.

If I could, I would have ESET Mobile Security on iOS and adblock. I do use a browser that has adblocking and much more privacy features; Atomic Web. I also have Google Chrome but I don't think the extensions I use are available to Google Chrome on iOS from what I have seen.

Thanks for all the info.

Fran, I forgot I had installed Lookout Security and Antivirus based on an article by Fred Langa in Windowssecrets. I did like it. I am too stupid to figure it out so I uninstalled it. I feel pretty safe with MBAM on. One I get more familiar with android, I might try it again.

tablets running Android are generally safe, provided you are not installing apps from places other than the app store.
Thanks, Adam, that makes me feel better.

lewmur. I use exactly one computer in the house for viewing bank sites and purchasing. It is hard wired to the router and runs Windows 7 which is fully patched. Even my hubby knows he can search for things on any of the computers, just do not buy them! He either gives the info to me to order online or he gets a phone number and orders over the phone (not cell, but copper wired phone).

lewmur. I use exactly one computer in the house for viewing bank sites and purchasing. It is hard wired to the router and runs Windows 7 which is fully patched. Even my hubby knows he can search for things on any of the computers, just do not buy them! He either gives the info to me to order online or he gets a phone number and orders over the phone (not cell, but copper wired phone).

I'm widowed and live alone, so no one else can access my Linux desktop. That's the one I use for all of my online transactions. It is hardwired to the router but I do connect my laptops and tablets via wifi. But only one /data folder on the desktop is shared and it doesn't contain anything worth stealing. Just use it as a temp file transfer location. Has things like malware bytes, combofix, distro iso files etc.

Edited by lewmur

securitybreach

There is also ad blocking available for Android as well as I used AdBlock Plus, Josh uses Adblock I think.

I used a Titanium backup on mine but not sure if that is only for rooted Android. Maybe Josh can suggest one for non-rooted phones that's well known, is safe and does well.

That and encrypting your settings and using ESET Mobile Security is not overkill. Especially with a mobile device that could be attached to potentially dangerous networks.

Adblock is ok but it doesn't block ads in apps. For that, I use Adfree but google removed it from the market since a lot of apps have a paid version that removes apps. So you have to download their apk and sideload it. They are a reliable company that has been around for years and eset scans the app when I install it, so all good.

As far as app backup, most of them require root. I have been using Titanium backup for atleast 4 years and I absolutely love the application.

Encryption is simple and only takes about 5 minutes. Basically when you restart or powerup, it asks for a password and then boots android so its sort of like a bios password.

Guest LilBambi

I think she said she would not be rooting her tablet, so the apps she needs would need to be just from the Google Play Store that do not need to be rooted...where possible.

securitybreach

I think she said she would not be rooting her tablet, so the apps she needs would need to be just from the Google Play Store that do not need to be rooted...where possible.

My point was that it is not possible to backup apps without root.

securitybreach

Can you make a complete backup (image style) with a PC program?

I do not think you can without root. Remember everyone, root is not like jail breaking. Root is just like Root on Linux or Admin on Windows, you need full superuser access to backup the system or apps. There may be a way but I am not for sure as I root every device I own or buy.

securitybreach

I guess there are a couple of ways. http://www.technorms.com/39708/android-backup-4-best-options

That's really odd. How do you backup the device to be able to restore easily after a crash/reload?

Adam

Well most people root the devices and nandroid backups are simple to do. It is very easy to backup everything as an image and restore the image as long as you have the space on your device.

Interesting. I wonder how many Android devices are actually being backed up regularly.

I will not hesitate to reflash/wipe my phone because I have backups for it on my local computer and in the cloud.

Adam

securitybreach

Interesting. I wonder how many Android devices are actually being backed up regularly.

Probably not that many but there is a built in function to backup app data, settings and wifi passwords(encrypted) to google servers.

JiFbJ31.png

All of your pictures get uploaded to your google account but not shared unless you choose to. All of your contacts are tied to your google account so they get loaded as soon as you sign in, etc. So basically most of your stuff gets uploaded to your google account except for user data/sdcard and you can back that up by simply connecting your device to a computer. It shows up as a removable drive. From there, you can backup all your files, etc.. You just need to root to backup anything outside of /sdcard which is like /home on Linux.

Guest LilBambi

I guess there are a couple of ways. http://www.technorms...-4-best-options

Well most people root the devices and nandroid backups are simple to do. It is very easy to backup everything as an image and restore the image as long as you have the space on your device.

I hear what you are saying and nandroid backups are great.

But for those concerned or do not want to root their Android device, these are some nice alternatives...as long as you read the fine print. I really like the Holo Backup one, but even that one you have to pay attention...can only restore to the SAME device, and USB debugging must be enabled.

Here's a cleaner link to the article:

Android Backup Without Root: The 4 Best Options For Your Device

securitybreach

But for those concerned or do not want to root their Android device, these are some nice alternatives...as long as you read the fine print. I really like the Holo Backup one, but even that one you have to pay attention...can only restore to the SAME device, and USB debugging must be enabled.

USB debugging will usually always be needed to run a backup.

That's really odd. How do you backup the device to be able to restore easily after a crash/reload?

Adam

If the device is not rooted, you should never need an "image" backup because the only way the system files would get corrupted would be a hardware failure. All of your data and settings can be backed up with a simple "Google Sync".

If you a capable of rooting your device, then you should also be capable of using the "recovery mode" to create image backups.

• Like 1

Probably not that many but there is a built in function to backup app data, settings and wifi passwords(encrypted) to google servers.

All of your pictures get uploaded to your google account but not shared unless you choose to. All of your contacts are tied to your google account so they get loaded as soon as you sign in, etc. So basically most of your stuff gets uploaded to your google account except for user data/sdcard and you can back that up by simply connecting your device to a computer. It shows up as a removable drive. From there, you can backup all your files, etc.. You just need to root to backup anything outside of /sdcard which is like /home on Linux.

I was hoping there would be something similar to the backups automatically done with iOS devices. :)

Adam

Guest LilBambi

Actually there is something similar if you use Google Cloud. Just wish there was a built in way to backup like in iTunes that's drop dead easy...without having to root the device.

But I like rooting an Android device since it's just a matter of being able with a password to get to areas to do full backups and side loading apps from well known developers that we know are safe, and when I used that tablet I also used Titanium and it did a great job backing up the Android tablet that Jim now has.

But they do have those ones mentioned in the article. But they are not as good as Titanium on a rooted device.

securitybreach

Well titanium backup is mainly just used to backup and restore your apps so you do not have to download each and every one. That said, as soon as you login on an Android device, the market starts redownloading the apps you had previously installed on your device.

Actually there is something similar if you use Google Cloud. Just wish there was a built in way to backup like in iTunes that's drop dead easy...without having to root the device.

But I like rooting an Android device since it's just a matter of being able with a password to get to areas to do full backups and side loading apps from well known developers that we know are safe, and when I used that tablet I also used Titanium and it did a great job backing up the Android tablet that Jim now has.

But they do have those ones mentioned in the article. But they are not as good as Titanium on a rooted device.

I don't know about your device but all I have to do is turn my Galaxy Note on and it backs up data and settings to Google. What could be easier than that? In /Settings/Accounts/Backup and Reset, check "Back up my data" and forget about it.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Unfortunately that would not work for me due to data caps and outrageous costs for data overages for cellular 3G/EVDO in our area on Verizon Wireless.

Unfortunately that would not work for me due to data caps and outrageous costs for data overages for cellular 3G/EVDO in our area on Verizon Wireless.

How would that differ with an Apple device? If you're backing up to the "cloud", you're backing up to the "cloud".

iOS devices allow for backups to a local machine too as part of the sync process. It is also automatic. I use both.