Unlocking phones illegal in U.S. as of today

Peachy

Unless you already own an unlocked phone it will now be illegal to unlock your own device in the U.S. Changes to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act can be made every three years and back in October the Librarian of Congress decided that unlocking cell phones should be no more. Apparently, carriers are still able to sell you "their" unlocked phones with a few provisos, but Americans had 90 days to unlock their own phones before the changes went into effect today. Also, in a rather absurd regulation, you are still allowed to jailbreak your phone, but not your tablet.

securitybreach

Yeah but unlocking is not the same thing as rooting a device. Unlocking is so that you can us the device under a different (compatible) network. For instance if I had an ATT phone but wanted to use it on Tmobile, I would either have to request an unlock code (from the carrier) or unlock it myself. Also, unlocking a device is a lot more difficult than rooting a phone.

I would love to see a carrier sue someone for unlocking their own phone in Federal Court and the carrier's response to the judge asking "are you nuts?". And who determines if a device is a phone or a tablet?

Guest LilBambi

Yes, but you shouldn't need permission to unlock your phone to use on another carrier.

I suggest that petition could prove very important in being able to let the White House know we shouldn't have to ask or pay to have our phones unlocked.

Unlocking was only excluded for a time from the DMCA. I don't think a ban on unlocking will last.

In any case, AT&T will unlock a phone willingly provided you are not under contract on the line and your account is in good standing.

Adam

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/01/the-most-ridiculous-law-of-2013-so-far-it-is-now-a-crime-to-unlock-your-smartphone/272552/

This is now the law of the land:

ADVISORY

BY DECREE OF THE LIBRARIAN OF CONGRESS

IT SHALL HENCEFORCE BE ORDERED THAT AMERICANS SHALL NOT UNLOCK THEIR OWN SMARTPHONES.

PENALTY: In some situations, first time offenders may be fined up to $500,000, imprisoned for five years, or both. For repeat offenders, the maximum penalty increases to a fine of $1,000,000, imprisonment for up to ten years, or both.*

Every three years groups like the American Foundation for the Blind have to lobby Congress to protect an exception for the blind allowing for books to be read aloud. Can you imagine a more ridiculous regulation than one that requires a lobby group for the blind to come to Capitol Hill every three years to explain that the blind still can't read books on their own and therefore need this exception?

Blimey I knew you folks over the pond were pretty strange. Your politicians are just barking mad. Mind you the lunatics we have over here running the assylum used to charge blind folks full whack for their tv licences till only a few years ago. :whistling:

It should be noted again (and I don't think I saw this in the article) that it is illegal to unlock without the carrier's permission. AT&T will unlock your phone for you by request, if you have satisfied your contract and your account is in good standing.

It is a fine point, but it is significant.

Adam

• Like 2

It should be noted again (and I don't think I saw this in the article) that it is illegal to unlock without the carrier's permission. AT&T will unlock your phone for you by request, if you have satisfied your contract and your account is in good standing.

It is a fine point, but it is significant.

Adam

Good luck on getting a phone unlocked while the phone is still in the exclusive rights stage. What really frosts me is that this idiocy applies even if a non-subsidized phone is purchased. And who is to say that the device is not a small tablet?

securitybreach

Good luck on getting a phone unlocked while the phone is still in the exclusive rights stage. What really frosts me is that this idiocy applies even if a non-subsidized phone is purchased. And who is to say that the device is not a small tablet?

Especially with the larger phones 4+ inch phones and tablets with sim cards slots...

Doing so before your contract expires now puts you in violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

The reason that cell phones are cheaper when you buy them under contract is that the carrier is paying the difference in the price of the phone, expecting that they’ll earn that money back over the course of the contract. The list price for my phone was $699.99, but with a carrier subsidy, I only paid $50. AT&T paid $650 to Samsung so that I would use their service for two years, and over that time they can reasonably expect to make much more than that from me.

http://www.geekosyst...o-unlock-phone/

Emphasis mine.

Adam

I would have thought this would already be covered by contract law, and be a condition of the contract when you sign up for a plan. To invoke separate legislation as well seems like a waste of congress time.

And "fined up to $500,000, imprisoned for five years, or both" - sheesh it's not like murder or drug smuggling! :o

• 2 weeks later...
securitybreach

question:

does repairing a broke phone and installing ios back on it count as jailbreak?

Not for sure but jailbreaking and rooting are not the same as unlocking. Unlocking a phone is done so that you can use the phone with a different carrier on a compatible network.

For instance, using a Tmobile phone on an AT&T network or using a Verizon phone on Sprint.