savedump.exe

Ryan

It appears to be a protected file. As such, an "sfc /scannow" should restore it, or you can manually copy it from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE (adjust your path accordingly).Kevin

It appears to be a protected file. As such, an "sfc /scannow" should restore it, or you can manually copy it from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE (adjust your path accordingly).Kevin
"sfc/scannow" starts a relentless cycle of error windows telling me to insert my XP OS disk so that it can install the missing DLL's (I apparently have many). After inserting my OEM disk, I get messages telling me it's the wrong disk. I've had these problems in the past - attempting to install missing windows components. XP doesn't recognize my OEM disk. Trying to browse the OEM disk is futile for the most part. It's programmed so that you can't do this. (Compaq computer bought at Best Buy.)I'm not sure what you mean by manually copying the file. From what source? I know where it goes - I just need to get it so that I can put it there.Learning that I have many missing DLL's bothers me - considering I can't use my OEM disk to remedy this. Is there an online utility that can scan and replace these files?Maybe not. The most important thing is getting savedump.exe back. Edited by Ryan

If you search for files and folders on your computer, you should see at least one copy. I have three on my 2K computer.Search for it then right click and send a copy (not a short cut) to your desktop. Open the place where it is needed and drag from the desktop to the location you want it in.Windows has backups of every windows system file you need on your computer in your system32 folder or a subfolder. Every time you get an error, search for the file/dll/exe and send a copy to your desktop then drag it to the place where it is needed.

If you search for files and folders on your computer, you should see at least one copy. I have three on my 2K computer.Search for it then right click and send a copy (not a short cut) to your desktop. Open the place where it is needed and drag from the desktop to the location you want it in.Windows has backups of every windows system file you need on your computer in your system32 folder or a subfolder. Every time you get an error, search for the file/dll/exe and send a copy to your desktop then drag it to the place where it is needed.
Thank you - I will try this. savedump.exe goes in my system32 folder correct?

I don't run XP so I googled for the answer.savedump.exe is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 13312 bytes (70% of all occurrence), 19456 bytes.