Knoppix problems

AbeL

I thought it would be a good time give Linux a shot when I read about the "no-install" option provided by Knoppix. The download went well (long), burning the ISO image to CD I had some glitches (but I needed new coasters), but I'm really hung up on the boot. Here's what I get: Error: only one processor found PCI: Device 001f.1 not available because of resource collisions ide-scsi: hdd: unsupported {can't read my own writing} in request queue --- [this line is repeated 6 more times, then;] idm_validated_partition_table(): Disk read failed [now the above ide line repeats an additional 4 times, followed by the idm line once] Then I get: "Welcome...." Cannot find the Knoppix filesystem, sorry. Dropping to a (very limited) shell. Press reset to quit.I tried several Cheatcodes, including noscsci, nosmp, pci=biosirq. They made no difference. The only two that at least showed that that the CD wasn't corrupt were expert, but that's no help to a complete novice; and failsafe. With failsafe it completed the boot (no network ,no usb) but when the gui started the video was completed unsync'd (unsunk?). Then I rebooted with cheatcodes xmodule=nv, and xserver=XFree, but that brought me back to the original error msg.My config is:MB = Gigabyte P4 Titan w/ Intel 845E chipsetP4 2.4GHz 512 MbGeForce 4 MX440SE 64MBHDD0 = 40GB total (approx 15GB free) = C:HDD1 = (30GB + 30GB) = (D: & E:)Any pointers to waking the penguin will be appreciated.Abe

Hi AbeLAlso a big welcome to you !Allow me to ask a few questions: What version of Knoppix are we talking about ?Did you do a checksum on your download ?Have you already a version of Linux on your computer ? Or did you burn the CD with windows ?What burning program did you use ?If you have already Linux on your box:Would you mind to do a checksum on your CD aswell ?I´m posting a how-to tonight in the ¨Starters Tips¨B) Bruno

Seems like an appropriate thread in which to post my problem...Knoppix loaded and ran great (I was even able to get on line) for about 10 minutes. As I was reading a post in this forum, my screen went blank and wouldn't respond to any input device. Did a soft reboot back to Windows and everything was fine...but I can't help wonder what happened. Could it have been a "read" error, since the OS is on a CD-ROM instead of the hard drive?

Hi Jeber,Well because your CDrom is much slower than your HD read errors like that can happen. Knoppix installed on HD makes you get Debian, and Debian is known as one of the most stable distro´s around.Glad the testrun worked well for you, did you have sound, internet , the whole lot ?What cheat-code did you use ?B) Bruno

Hi AbeLAlso a big welcome to you !Allow me to ask a few questions: What version of Knoppix are we talking about ?Did you do a checksum on your download ?Have you already a version of Linux on your computer ? Or did you burn the CD with windows ?What burning program did you use ?If you have already Linux on your box:Would you mind to do a checksum on your CD aswell ?I´m posting a how-to tonight in the ¨Starters Tips¨B) Bruno
Its great to be here!The latest version - 3.2I did not checksum, because I was under the impression that it would have to be done in a Linux environment, which I don't have.I burned the CD in windows using a utility I read about in another of Scot's forums, called ISO_Record.Would it be smart to repeat the dl and burn a new CD?

Gee AbeL,You know I do not know that ISO-record program. There is a big differece beteen what they call window-images and Linux ISO´s !Someone a few days ago had ISO-buster, that was only good for windows images !You don´t have NERO ? or Easy CD creator ?You better check the ISO-record site if they really do support Linux ISO files. Als it might be a hardware problem, is your hardware very very new ?B) Bruno

Glad the testrun worked well for you, did you have sound, internet , the whole lot ?
Yup, for the whole 10 minutes.
What cheat-code did you use ?
Whaaaaaa????? I think I missed something. But please, deal with AbeL's problem first. I've got to go feed the dogs anyway.

Gee AbeL,You know I do not know that ISO-record program. There is a big differece beteen what they call window-images and Linux ISO´s !Someone a few days ago had ISO-buster, that was only good for windows images !You don´t have NERO ?  or Easy CD creator ?You better check the ISO-record site if they really do support Linux ISO files. Als it might be a hardware problem, is your hardware very very new ?B) Bruno
Bruno:Some of the hardware is new to me, but I think its been available on the market for some time. Last week I upgrade my MB and graphics cards.I don't have Nero, but do have CD Creator. Its with EZCDC that I created 4 coasters trying to record this ISO image. I don't know what went wrong, but after the recording was done it started to "finalize" the CD and that process took an hour, usually it only takes a few minutes. Then when I tried to check the contents of the finished CD, EZCDC acted like the CD was blank. When I tried to use it to boot, the system didn't see it in the CD drive and booted right to WinXP - so I guess it really was blank.Is it really likely that I have a bad image given that Linux boots. The problem seems to be that its not configuring itself for my system and I don't know enough to be its teacher :D .You can check the ISO maker I'm using at:isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htmThanks,Abe

I don't have Nero, but do have CD Creator. Its with EZCDC that I created 4 coasters trying to record this ISO image. I don't know what went wrong, but after the recording was done it started to "finalize" the CD and that process took an hour, usually it only takes a few minutes. Then when I tried to check the contents of the finished CD, EZCDC acted like the CD was blank. When I tried to use it to boot, the system didn't see it in the CD drive and booted right to WinXP - so I guess it really was blank.
Just a quickie question with regards to EZCD. Did you select File > Record CD from CD Image? That's what you need to do to burn iso image files in EZCD. It will default to show only .cif files, but you can tell it to look for the .iso file.

Just a quickie question with regards to EZCD. Did you select File > Record CD from CD Image? That's what you need to do to burn iso image files in EZCD. It will default to show only .cif files, but you can tell it to look for the .iso file.
That is a procedure I did not do, in fact, I wasn't even aware of it. Thanks, Peachy.I used two other methods:1 - After inserting the blank CD I double clicked on the .iso, EZCD started and acted like it was burning.2 - I started EZCD, rolled over the Make Data CD button, then selected Data CD Project. When that open the new window, I drag/dropped tyhe .iso into the record window and clicked "record"

That is a procedure I did not do, in fact, I wasn't even aware of it. Thanks, Peachy.I used two other methods:1 - After inserting the blank CD I double clicked on the .iso, EZCD started and acted like it was burning.2 - I started EZCD, rolled over the Make Data CD button, then selected Data CD Project. When that open the new window, I drag/dropped tyhe .iso into the record window and clicked "record"
No problem. For 1) I've never had great success doing that. As for 2) you have just copied the iso file to a normal ISO9660/Joliet data CD; at least you have a backup of the iso file -- as long as it fit on the disc!!! ^_^

AbeL,Let me come back to a few issues mentioned before:You can, and actually should do the checksum in Windows, have a look Here The story about burning has been handeled by Peachy, so there you´ve got the right info !Your hardware; I see that nice graphics card you have, there might, just might, be a little problem there later on, but it just might be NO problem too, we will just have to see ! That is what Knoppix is all about, checking if your hardware is supported under Linux and having a ¨test-drive¨ around in ¨Linux-land¨.So, don´t keep making coasters, check your ISO first and see to it you get it burned to CD the right way. After that we will deal with the next step: getting the Knoppix logo on your monitor ! :( We will be here to assist you if further problems come up ! :(:( Bruno

Well, as the old joke goes - I've got good news and I've got bad news. The good news - using the link to Summer you sent me, Buno, the checksum verifies a good iso file.The bad news - I used the iso recording process you described, Peachy, and it produced another coaster. Everything seemed to go well, the recording was made, then EZCD swithched to "finalizing" and it showed a progress bar. The progress bar took about 2 minutes to get to 100%, but EZCD continued to show the msg "finalizing". It was in this state for about an hour before it gave the msg "disk is complete". I got exactly this same behavior when I previously made a coaster. Unfortunately when I tried booting with this CD the system bypass loading from cd and went right to XP.So here's what I know:- I burned a CD using a iso file whose checksum is now verified- This cd attempts to load Linux, -but produces the errors described in my 1st msg- Loading with various cheatcodes does not change the behavior of the boot, unlessI use cheatcode "expert" or "failsafe"- With expert, it loads to cmd prompt with many options shown- With failsafe it completes the boot (omitting network, usb, etc) and starts X11, but doesn't properly sync the monitor so only random colored lines are visible.Peachy and Bruno:Thank you for your help thus far. Even if I don't get Knoppix running, I've learned something new from each of you - that alone makes this thread worthwhile.Abe

AbeThe cheat-codes; Did you try this one too ?knoppix lang=en xmodule=nv|radeon|savage|s3 ( the | are those things under your backspace key ! )The nv stands for Nvidia !B) Bruno

AbeThe cheat-codes; Did you try this one too ?knoppix lang=en xmodule=nv|radeon|savage|s3 ( the | are those things under your backspace key ! )The nv stands for Nvidia !:lol: Bruno
Hi Bruno:Yes, I did try that cheatcode, first just entering only "nv" after "=", then again entering the whole string. I got the same result as posted in my original msg.I am beginning to think that MS has jinked my system and locked it so it can't run Linux :P . I have now tried 4 different distros, all of them fail to run - but fail in different ways:-Knoppix & Morphix -- same failure modePeanut -- won't run from CD, it wants to format my drive and install itselfSuSE Live -- doesn't ID my mouse, none of its choices for selecting a mouse manually get mouse support. If I continue without mouse, then it hangs while trying to write the printer config - despite the fact that I instructed it not to write any config files. This distro came closest to actually running - I was doing config in a GUI environment.

Personally, that's why I gave up trying to run Linux from a CD and just found a second old harddrive to install Linux on (or you could chop off some of your primary)... I found it a lot less frustrating, and while it may be neat to try it out without messing with your harddrive, it seems to be much more messy. I don't know your harddrive space situation, but I'd suggest downlaoading Mandrake/SuSE/Redhat and going that route if you have the ability :lol:

I decided to give it one more shot.I dl'd DemoLinux (demolinux.org).IT RAN FROM THE CD!!!! FIRST ATTEMPT!! This is what I expected Knoppix to do from all I had read about it.Its slow! But I expected that. Now that I know it reads my hardware correctly, THEN configures itself to run on it I now have the option to save the config and home files to an hd partition using a tool it provides called "Anchor".The other distros I tried read my hw correctly but for some reason didn't know what to do with themselves.Thanks again to all who replied,Abe

I decided to give it one more shot.I dl'd DemoLinux (demolinux.org).IT RAN FROM THE CD!!!! FIRST ATTEMPT!! This is what I expected Knoppix to do from all I had read about it.Its slow! But I expected that. Now that I know it reads my hardware correctly, THEN configures itself to run on it I now have the option to save the config and home files to an hd partition using a tool it provides called "Anchor".The other distros I tried read my hw correctly but for some reason didn't know what to do with themselves.Thanks again to all who replied,Abe
Hi Abel, For the easiest to install (meaning hardware recognition), if you don't choose Mandrake or RedHat, one of these I honestly believe will work:Lycorisor:ELX or IcePackHave fun, because it is. :unsure:

I don't have Nero, but do have CD Creator. Its with EZCDC that I created 4 coasters trying to record this ISO image. I don't know what went wrong, but after the recording was done it started to "finalize" the CD and that process took an hour, usually it only takes a few minutes. Then when I tried to check the contents of the finished CD, EZCDC acted like the CD was blank. When I tried to use it to boot, the system didn't see it in the CD drive and booted right to WinXP - so I guess it really was blank.
Hi Peachy:Yesterday I determined why, when I followed your advised procedure I produced only coasters. I thought it would be useful to share with the group. It turns out there's a bug in CD Creator running under Win XP SP1. Roxio claims that with version 5.3.1.154 or above this bug is fixed - not necessarily true. The bug is that CDCreator will fail when attempting to write large files (large being defined as 100MB or more). I was running the stipulated version, and I have XP SP1. Yesterday I dl'd the latest CDCreator version, 5.3.5.10, and this morning successfully burned a .iso (360MB) using CDCreator.I hope this helps someone else from wasting time making coasters. Regards,