Touch Pad Will Not Scroll

Purhonen

My Synaptic touch pad will not scroll.

HP G60T-200 notebook, Win 7 (32 bit)

Device Manager says device working properly. Tried updating drivers - response was latest drivers installed. Visited HP site to check on drivers for the touch pad - latest version listed for download was same as what Device Manager listed.

When I attempt to scroll the scroll icon (small scroll bar appears under cursor/pointer) appears but no vertical movement.

Tried resetting the device, no change.

Should I reinstall the device? If so, how do I do it? Simply uninstall the driver and reinstall?

Steve

V.T. Eric Layton

Hi, Purhonen!

Stand by... Adam or one of the other gadget experts will be along shortly to give you a hand with this issue you're experiencing. It's not my forte. Sorry.

This really sounds like the driver settings are not correct. Do you have a Synaptics control panel applet? Scrolling should be able to be enabled/disabled from the applet.

Adam

Hello,

The latest version of the touch pad driver offered by Hewlett Packard is Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad 13.2.2.0 A. If reinstalling this does not solve the problem, perhaps a newer version will help.

A quick check of Synaptics web site reveals a newer version of the drive: Synaptics Touch Pad Device Driver v16.2.21 C.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

V.T. Eric Layton

Thanks guys for responding. I was the only one online yesterday when Steve posted this. I'm definitely not qualified to help with this issue. ;)

This really sounds like the driver settings are not correct. Do you have a Synaptics control panel applet? Scrolling should be able to be enabled/disabled from the applet.

Adam

Adam,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I do have the Synaptics control panel, and yes, I have enabled the scrolling (both vertical and horizontal) . . . still no change.

Hello,

The latest version of the touch pad driver offered by Hewlett Packard is Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad 13.2.2.0 A. If reinstalling this does not solve the problem, perhaps a newer version will help.

A quick check of Synaptics web site reveals a newer version of the drive: Synaptics Touch Pad Device Driver v16.2.21 C.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Aryeh,

Thanks for the info. I found the same driver version at the HP site that you listed, that is also the driver version listed for the Synaptic touchpad in the Device Manager. So I don't think that is the source of the problem.

How about I try uninstalling and reinstalling the Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad 13.2.2.0 A drivers. If nothing changes I will then try installing the later version of the drivers you so kindly linked. Does that sound like a plan?

If this is a good approach, I would appreciate any tips/things to be careful about when uninstalling/reinstalling device drivers in general.

Thanks, Steve

Guest LilBambi

Hey Steve,

Yes, that does sound like the next diagnostic step.

I would uninstalled the software; reboot, then install the new software.

Hope it's not a hardware issue - defective.

If the touchpad works other than just not scrolling, then I highly doubt the device is defective. I suspect a registry bit got flipped somehow, and the control panel applet cannot make the proper changes any more.

If the updated driver does not work, a precision strike of removing the registry keys and such may be required to restore functionality.

Adam

Guest LilBambi

Interesting. There are a bunch of folks that have had this scrolling problem.

There was one guy who had the problem as well, and looked at the hardware info in Control Panel/Hardware for his Touchpad, and it was an ALPs one. He downloaded and installed the ALPs driver instead of Synaptic, and it started working.

It also worked for a guy he mentioned it to.

See info posted by ymo as the suggested answer here: Touchpad scroll does not work - what to do? - Dell Inspiron 6000d

If it turns out that you do have an ALPS Touchpad...

Drivers for ALPS Touchpad:

Dell ALPS Touchpad

Or since you have an HP Steve, you could instead try the HP one: Alps Touchpad Driver

Edited by LilBambi

Download Speccy http://www.filehippo...search?q=Speccy

and check under either motherboard or peripherals to see the touchpad hardware. I'm on a desktop so I don't know the category touchpad would be located.

Warning: Watch carefully as you run the exe for speccy. It will want to install Google chrome and make it the default browser.

I unchecked make chrome the default first, then unchecked install chrome.

If you are still having problems with the scrolling ...

since it is Win7, i would uninstall the driver for the scroller and then cold reboot.

If Win7 sees the scroller it will prompt you for the next action. If it doesn't , well then I think you would have the problem possibilities narrowed down .

Thank you all for your help - you're a great gang!

I cold-booted last night and everything is back to normal, scroll and all. (I never did uninstall or reinstall any device drivers)

I apologize for not trying a cold boot before I posted -- I should have. I've fallen into the habit of hibernating my laptop for days at a time, maybe I should keep my hibernations to just a couple of days at a time?

Thanks Again, Steve

Guest LilBambi

Yes, hibernation is often not worth it. Can drop things like that or network connections, or just get wonky.

Works fine until it fails gloriously.

Edited by LilBambi